Chapala.com Webboard

Volaris reviews

windstar

I am interested in flying Volaris GDL to San Jose CR.  Have flown with them in the past with no problems.   I see many negative reviews about flight cancellation.  I will be on hand 3 hrs early with all papers in order so no reason to be bumped but concerned they might cancel the flight.    Has anyone experienced this?

Remember they don't serve free drinks or snacks, you have to purchase anything you want.

Our neighbors had their flight coming back from Vegas canceled and showed up a day later, now they are somewhere far and their flight was canceled again and they come home 2 days later, makes for house sitting organization a bit difficult.

We just flew with them a month ago without any glitches. We booked 2 different flights with them, no problems. We even knew our pilot coming home, he plays softball with Wayne.

If they are the only airline flying nonstop, I use them (Chicago) only if absolutely necessary. Even a cheapskate like me will pay more to avoid them. 

Mainecoons is correct when he says, "Just another cattle car airline."

But, they are WORSE!!!

They never make a mistake. Everything is your fault. 

Flying today is bad enough, but more often than not, this airline makes a bad experience horrible.

After booking flight to Chicago for my wife, and a few days before the trip, AeroMexico changed her flights to red eyes with no warning.  She cancelled the trip as people up there couldn't meet the crazy schedules.  They did refund the ticket price after several calls.

Face it, flying sucks.  

Todays sale price GDL to San Jose Costa Rica  is  $120.00, overnight @ $50.00, next day Copa to Panama $75.00 total $245.00.  COPA from GDL to Panama one way is $760.00.  What I can not figure is COPA from GDL via Panama , to Havana is $381.00.one way.  Any explaniations???

6 minutes ago, windstar said:

Todays sale price GDL to San Jose Costa Rica  is  $120.00, overnight @ $50.00, next day Copa to Panama $75.00 total $245.00.  COPA from GDL to Panama one way is $760.00.  What I can not figure is COPA from GDL via Panama , to Havana is $381.00.one way.  Any explaniations???

Airlines long ago quit pricing by how far, rather how fast is the new mantra. Plus supply and demand. Must not be a lot of people wanting to go to Cuba so you drop the price. Costs them the same to fly with or without passengers. Must be enough business people who don't want to stop over and make it a 2 day trip thus the high price. Not enough people going GDL to SJ? Drop the price and pick up more folks not wanting to pay top dollar. They have become yield experts.

I think it is just about impossible these days to figure out airline scheduling/pricing.  Couple of days ago was looking to fly from western Colorado to Denver... not very far. United was the only jig in town. $450 ONE WAY!  But I noticed that, if I booked a flight from that same western 'city' THRU Denver to Dallas... using that SAME plane/time that they wanted $450 for..... the cost was only $257.

Yeah they have lots of competition on the Denver/Dallas route so they have to keep the price down. But they must usually have a few empty seats so why not charge someone in western Colorado the same fare and just bring them along to Denver on the commuter jet. Oh, you just want to go to Denver? Sorry we have no competition so you pay big. Must be some deep pockets out there that don't bat an eye at $450.

...And before someone suggests getting off in Denver........ it used to be the airline would realize what you did and maybe blacklist you or try to make you pay the actual fare. I suspect nowadays that would be an excellent way to get on the "No Fly List".

How confusing when a poster asks a straight forward question about a specific airline and respondents fly off in many different directions. I (and my son who works in San Jose) fly this route frequently. Never a problem with Volaris except their website is poorly designed. When I've had problems with it I call their Mexico number and receive courteous and immediate help. No frills, but for the price it's a deal.

Threads do have a way of wandering. Maybe if you had posted earlier you could have helped keep it on track. The OP's question was very specific asking if anyone has had a flight cancelled. Can we assume you have not?

On 8/14/2017 at 8:43 AM, windstar said:

I am interested in flying Volaris GDL to San Jose CR.  Have flown with them in the past with no problems.   I see many negative reviews about flight cancellation.  I will be on hand 3 hrs early with all papers in order so no reason to be bumped but concerned they might cancel the flight.    Has anyone experienced this?

No cancellations experienced, I enjoy their time table to Miami, albeit their in flight service is pay for what you want.

I find their web page messy , and making a booking etc a challenge

Try not to put valuable items in your check-in luggage. I had the misfortune of losing a laptop with Volaris. I got two laptops that time on my way to Los Angeles from Guad.  I find it heavy having  two laptops in my carry-on bag and made a bad decision putting one in my check-in luggage. When I got home, the  items in my luggage was in disarray and obviously ransacked with the laptop gone.

Two stories from our experience:

1 - GDL to DFW - flight was booked w/ layover in Mexico City. Flight was cancelled, but at last minute due to mechanical issues. Airline (Volaris? Interjet? I don't remember) made arrangements w/ another airline and we got a direct flight and arrived before our original flight's arrival time!

2 - AUS to GDL - Monday of this week - all airlines were taking cancellations or rescheduling and waiving fees due to Hurricane Harvey. We were flying out on our last day of our apartment lease, so we had nowhere to go. We didn't cancel or reschedule, but evidently a lot of other people did and I'm guessing it severely lowered the income on that flight. Monday morning it showed up as cancelled. And here is the main issue with Volaris (or any similar airline route) - they only have two or three flights per week on the AUS/GDL route. It flies in from Guadalajara in the morning, then flies back out in the afternoon. If there is a cancellation, you wait. Waiting is free. Cancelling and using another airline is expensive. In our case, we are waiting. A friend provided free accommodations for two days. If Wednesday's flight cancels, more drastic measures will be taken.

So, I guess there is a lesson here. Smaller airlines and smaller cities equal infrequent flights. Problems can't be solved without a delay of multiple days. That is the main benefit of the major airlines, and yes you pay for the difference. Fortunately we don't fly more than twice a year...

Archived