Chapala.com Webboard

drinking and driving again--checkpoint alert

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

The sponsors of this board are very concerned that it be a safe space for the exchange of information...

I wasn't referring to not allowing personal attacks. What I was labeling "school-marmy censorship" was being unable to use the word

A

S

S

and having it replaced by symbols.

Sunshiney Day: they were setting up around 4:30pm, Saturday.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The traffic on these boards is slowing down and the facebook groups are speeding up.  Just like Mexconnect is less than it was so will the two boards be replaced as the go to for information.  Change is inevitable.  

8 minutes ago, solajijic said:

The traffic on these boards is slowing down and the facebook groups are speeding up.  Just like Mexconnect is less than it was so will the two boards be replaced as the go to for information.  Change is inevitable.  

Facebook is also being nudged out among millennials. When I was NOB last month my granddaughter and her boyfriend insisted I had to get on Instagram because they almost never go to Facebook anymore. While they (ages 24 and 26) were helping me sign up, my 20-year-old grandson was scoffing over Instagram saying he mostly uses Snapchat. Ugh. Even though I visit Instagram several times a week I have yet to figure out how to "really" use it. 

The older one is the greater the chance he doesn't have a Facebook account.. I much prefer this type of forum that we are on to that of Facebook or the other social groups suggested such as snapchat, Twitter, etc.

So I see the type of social communication I like best slowly getting fewer members and posts and the newer software  ones stealing our membership..

21 minutes ago, johanson said:

The older one is the greater the chance he doesn't have a Facebook account.. I much prefer this type of forum that we are on to that of Facebook or the other social groups suggested such as snapchat, Twitter, etc.

So I see the type of social communication I like best slowly getting fewer members and posts and the newer software  ones stealing our membership..

Old technologies, like old people, die off. The question for us is will our favorite forms of digital communication die before we do? That's not likely to happen with web boards but we may be left reading and talking with mostly other old folks.  

The different types of social media provide different reasons for using them. FaceBook is nothing like a chatboard. Sure, you can comment in FaceBook, but on a board like this you have to be a member. ANYone on FaceBook can post anytime they choose, and this breeds trollism beyond belief. And on any given day there are thousands of posts to struggle through, meandering far away from the topic and filling up with hate.

SnapChat and Instagram are nothing like chatboards, and the kids use them in completely different ways. SnapChat is a photo-sharing tool. SnapChat is for sharing photos and videos that completely disappear after a few seconds, leaving no trace.

What part of Facebook are you talking about, CG? The only people who can post or comment on my timeline are those I have accepted as Friends. Only ones appearing in my news feed are Friends or people I have chosen to follow. Groups I belong to are closed and trolls are quickly tossed out. You may be thinking of public groups which are a different thing.

8 hours ago, Xena said:

Old technologies, like old people, die off. The question for us is will our favorite forms of digital communication die before we do? That's not likely to happen with web boards but we may be left reading and talking with mostly other old folks.  

We are already left reading and talking with other old folks.  90% of the expats here are old folks, compared to millennials.

On 8/17/2017 at 8:08 AM, Mainecoons said:

We have a very good local example of what happens when boards like this allow unbridled personal attacks and snarkiness.  However, for those who like to indulge in this, that is available to you over there.  The sponsors of this board are very concerned that it be a safe space for the exchange of information and the respectful discussion of local affairs like this one.  So it is moderated tightly when it comes to that sort of thing.

I agree.

How dare you call me old.  I am still below 80 and will remain so for several more weeks.  I do not drink and drive; in fact, I can no longer drive at all. Well, not legally.  So, I may not drive, would be a more accurate statement. I remain young at heart.  All those stents and medications do help, though.

Now: What was the question?

:P

16 hours ago, Xena said:

What part of Facebook are you talking about, CG? The only people who can post or comment on my timeline are those I have accepted as Friends. Only ones appearing in my news feed are Friends or people I have chosen to follow. Groups I belong to are closed and trolls are quickly tossed out. You may be thinking of public groups which are a different thing.

I allow Friends of Friends, because some are quite interesting. For example a friend of mine in Nashville, who was the manager/producer for Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show, has many FaceBook friends who are big names and are very interesting to chat with. Especially in a place like Nashville, you can imagine the disparity of opinions about the current state of U.S. politics.

Unfortunately, a side effect is that one inevitably encounters the trolls, the haters as they are referred to often, who spit vitriol constantly in an ever-increasing need to be seen as someone special. I don't belong to or engage with any public groups, EDIT: generally speaking, although there are certainly enough times following a thread that leads the reader somewhere else.

20 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

How dare you call me old.  I am still below 80 and will remain so for several more weeks.  I do not drink and drive; in fact, I can no longer drive at all. Well, not legally.  So, I may not drive, would be a more accurate statement. I remain young at heart.  All those stents and medications do help, though.

"Tattoos, selfies, and soul-crushing levels of long-term debt: These are America’s millennials, ladies and gentlemen."

I'll stick with folks like RV, thank-you.

If you are interested here is one to begin with:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/397945103600106/

these are closed groups which you have to ask to be a member of and this particular group has 4,000 members.  The topics primarily are about how to live here as a newly arrived expat and how to plan your move here.  It is interesting to see what people are concerned with moving here and what the answers are from those who either just arrived and think they know to those who are moderating these pages and have some significant information to exchange. 

1 hour ago, RVGRINGO said:

I can't remember it either. :D

Hope you have one helluva birthday party RV!

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

I allow Friends of Friends, because some are quite interesting. For example a friend of mine in Nashville, who was the manager/producer for Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show, has many FaceBook friends who are big names and are very interesting to chat with. Especially in a place like Nashville, you can imagine the disparity of opinions about the current state of U.S. politics.

Unfortunately, a side effect is that one inevitably encounters the trolls, the haters as they are referred to often, who spit vitriol constantly in an ever-increasing need to be seen as someone special. I don't belong to or engage with any public groups, EDIT: generally speaking, although there are certainly enough times following a thread that leads the reader somewhere else.

I too allow Friends of Friends and also have "met" interesting people that way. I guess I am lucky because this has not exposed me to any of the stuff you have encountered. I do make liberal use of the Hide button when going through my news feed though. I like to keep things tidy. 

Drunk driving checkpoint alert . . . 

Saturday, 19 August at 6 pm -- affecting southbound traffic on the main highway from GDL airport to Chapala, near Ixtlahuacan.  (I did not happen to notice if the northbound traffic on the highway was also being stopped.)

Archived