Chapala.com Webboard

drinking and driving again--checkpoint alert

"We have read comments on the foreigners' webboards and decided to completely change our policies and procedures and rewrite our laws because they are absolutely correct about how unfair, inept, and corrupt we are," said no Mexican official ever. Give it up, guys. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

OK, I'm a little confused.  Some of them blew below the "take to jail" level didn't they?  Were those people taken to jail?  Reading the guidelines it looks like they should have been ticketed and released.  Were they?

They blew below the legal limit, car impounded and taken to jail anyway.  The lady I spoke to was the one who was there and to whom it happened.  They didn't even follow their own laws.

This is not about "culture" and I don't think people should "get used to it". Chaining a man to a vehicle for hours, really........ Poor treatment and abuse by government employees is not acceptable regardless of what country we happen to be in.   Tyranny is Tyranny regardless of geography.  When type of behavior is accepted and tolerated, it escalates and becomes the norm until one day it's much worse and you wonder how it got to that point. 

It's easy to make sarcastic remarks and be equally insensitive to someone else's plight when it's not happening to you.  Wait til you are the one jailed for a night or two when you have broken no law......The lack of kindness and calousness of people really is sad.  I thought we were here to help each other.

It was most likely a fatal accident as a motorcycle hit the side of a pickup that was turning left towards the lake. The moto was demolished and its driver was layed out against the planter wall with his head covered as I believe it was crushed..Just happened as I was driving by..Very gruesome scene..

16 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

OK, I'm a little confused.  Some of them blew below the "take to jail" level didn't they?  Were those people taken to jail?  Reading the guidelines it looks like they should have been ticketed and released.  Were they?

I know someone who blew .028 on the first night of the stops, was ticketed and released—not jailed, nor was jail time even suggested. The ticket itself is very detailed: it cites the corresponding parts of the law(s) violated, has the violation(s) handwritten and also gives the breathalyzer results. You are asked to sign the ticket at the bottom. Not reading or speaking Spanish is an additional issue... FYI, you earn a 50% discount on the hefty fine if paid at Recaudadora in Chapala within 10 days.

Blow over a .041 and you go to jail for 12-24 hrs and the vehicle is impounded. Over a .065 and your jail time can be extended to up to 36 hours. 

14 hours ago, Xena said:

"We have read comments on the foreigners' webboards and decided to completely change our policies and procedures and rewrite our laws because they are absolutely correct about how unfair, inept, and corrupt we are," said no Mexican official ever. Give it up, guys. 

This is just another example of foreigners who willingly moved to another country and then expect it to meet their standards of "whatever", be it legal treatment, garbage collection, or road conditions.  Yes, this is harsh treatment and is probably rougher than wherever we came from.  We have the usual options which don't need repeating.

Stay off the Carretera if you want to avoid the checkpoints.  Or.......the other solutions mentioned,  including offering to comp the dinner of a non-drinking friend.

1 hour ago, Zeb said:

This is not about "culture" and I don't think people should "get used to it". Chaining a man to a vehicle for hours, really........ Poor treatment and abuse by government employees is not acceptable regardless of what country we happen to be in.   Tyranny is Tyranny regardless of geography.  When type of behavior is accepted and tolerated, it escalates and becomes the norm until one day it's much worse and you wonder how it got to that point. 

It's easy to make sarcastic remarks and be equally insensitive to someone else's plight when it's not happening to you.  Wait til you are the one jailed for a night or two when you have broken no law......The lack of kindness and calousness of people really is sad.  I thought we were here to help each other.

It is also easy to anonymously write comments about injustice and unfairness on a webboard and believe you are helping each other. 

I have been coming here since 1996 and purchased in 1997 and I speak kind of sort of Spanish. What bothers me is not the fact that the rules are so much stricter about drinking here, but the fact that I never bothered to learn this fact. Luckily I do not drink and drive but I did upon occasion when I first got here almost 20 years ago. No I was not drunk by Washington State standards but I might have been down here. You know I might have one glass of wine or one beer with my meal.  And it sounds like that might be dangerous.

So thank you all for sharing this information with me  and my fellow posters.

7 hours ago, Xena said:

It is also easy to anonymously write comments about injustice and unfairness on a webboard and believe you are helping each other. 

Criticism. 

I would say the same thing face to face.  I am the same in person as I am on this forum.  I have relayed facts of what happened to this woman.  What should I do instead?  Go down to the police station and make stink?  If you would like to take action on this, then please lead the way.

I thought people would want to know the reality what happened.  Perhaps you would like to handle it differently.  I don't see the need or helpfulness in criticism and THAT is easy to do anonymously.     

8 hours ago, gringal said:

This is just another example of foreigners who willingly moved to another country and then expect it to meet their standards of "whatever", be it legal treatment, garbage collection, or road conditions.  Yes, this is harsh treatment and is probably rougher than wherever we came from.  We have the usual options which don't need repeating.

Stay off the Carretera if you want to avoid the checkpoints.  Or.......the other solutions mentioned,  including offering to comp the dinner of a non-drinking friend.

Stay off the Carretera?  Really?  What other road is there to get around here to do errands on that street?

Personally. I'm glad to see it happening.  In the 9 years I've been here, I've known of at least 2 pedestrians killed and one seriously hurt, all by drunk drivers.  There's no telling how many of the wrecks have alcohol involved.

Maybe the checkpoints will slow some of that down.

1 hour ago, Zeb said:

Stay off the Carretera?  Really?  What other road is there to get around here to do errands on that street?

Most people aren't doing errands at the time of day when there are checkpoints and during which they'd be drinking.  Let's be practical.

2 hours ago, Zeb said:

Criticism. 

I would say the same thing face to face.  I am the same in person as I am on this forum.  I have relayed facts of what happened to this woman.  What should I do instead?  Go down to the police station and make stink?  If you would like to take action on this, then please lead the way.

I thought people would want to know the reality what happened.  Perhaps you would like to handle it differently.  I don't see the need or helpfulness in criticism and THAT is easy to do anonymously.     

Is there anyone reading the forums (especially this one) who does not yet know what everyone posting here thinks about the topic? A couple of threads on this topic have alread been locked. Have not people been warned enough? If you just want to continue talking about it then go ahead. But don't pretend you have an altruistic motive. That part was taken care of days ago. 

Jajajajaja! Love that it's two-way like the checkpoint. Thanks for the levity. 

I did an airport run last Saturday late afternoon and went through it. They were setting up on the way to, and looked about to open on return. Appeared to be very professionally run. They had even set up a GIGANTIC toldo  to protect detainees from sun and rain. That sounds humanely professional to me.

Why are people suggesting drivers under the limit were hauled away to jail? Is that actually true or are people blowing it out their ### and it's landing on the inernet?

(I hate the school-marmy censorship on this board. It's way over the top.)

10 hours ago, Xena said:

Is there anyone reading the forums (especially this one) who does not yet know what everyone posting here thinks about the topic? A couple of threads on this topic have alread been locked. Have not people been warned enough? If you just want to continue talking about it then go ahead. But don't pretend you have an altruistic motive. That part was taken care of days ago. 

Threads almost always only get locked around here when people start getting personal and snarky.

8 hours ago, Travis said:

(I hate the school-marmy censorship on this board. It's way over the top.)

We have a very good local example of what happens when boards like this allow unbridled personal attacks and snarkiness.  However, for those who like to indulge in this, that is available to you over there.  The sponsors of this board are very concerned that it be a safe space for the exchange of information and the respectful discussion of local affairs like this one.  So it is moderated tightly when it comes to that sort of thing.

I don't think the sponsors of this board give a damn about what is said here. If they did, they would have shut it down long ago and tried a different approach. Sniping has been taken to a new level here. The Other Board, since Bob cleared out the loonies and the afternoon drunks, has been a much more pleasant read, with more solid offerings than this one has had in a long time. Except for one topic that they never get tired of, and which is really boring: how bad this board is.

39 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I don't think the sponsors of this board give a damn about what is said here. If they did, they would have shut it down long ago and tried a different approach. Sniping has been taken to a new level here. The Other Board, since Bob cleared out the loonies and the afternoon drunks, has been a much more pleasant read, with more solid offerings than this one has had in a long time. Except for one topic that they never get tired of, and which is really boring: how bad this board is.

I find that both boards are like peas in a pod. Including you,some of the same posters are here and there as well. Some of you actually post more [cudos to you as one] real useful info here than on the other one which has very little but is outstanding for the few posters who actually post on there for idle chit chat signifying nothing. They do like to pick on a poster calling himself clueless who has magnificently got the in crowd's number there.He is far from clueless.What I also find interesting is that some have chosen different handles for each and one female even uses a male avatar.

Archived