Chapala.com Webboard

drinking and driving again--checkpoint alert

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a huge Federal stop yesterday evening (Saturday) around 6:30pm southbound on the Chapala highway by the lake outside of Ixtulahucan. There was a tent set up in the median with about 20-30 folding chairs about half full of people. Tow trucks were everywhere. The left lane was filled with about 10 cars waiting to be checked. 

I applaud this effort to keep drunk drivers off the roads.  We expected the same in Canada.  I do however expect to be treated with dignity and respect at any roadside checkpoint.  Would also be great if the Police would check for those famous "burnt out tail lights" that are as well dangerous and so very common here.   

Maybe a useful device is a reliable breathalyzer, under $50 on Amazon. Not only for use on yourself, but remember Princess Dianna was killed by a "professional" driver, way over any country's limit. Is there any law stopping to ask if a taxi, tour bus, or designated driver would mind taking a sample? Also, I often stop in the daytime at the Pemex station/711 at the start of the road to Guadalajara. Pickup some cold beer, because I live close by - you wouldn't believe the times I have seen truck drivers stop for two or three large cans before heading out on the hot and dusty road.

34 minutes ago, Guiness said:

I applaud this effort to keep drunk drivers off the roads.  We expected the same in Canada.  I do however expect to be treated with dignity and respect at any roadside checkpoint.  Would also be great if the Police would check for those famous "burnt out tail lights" that are as well dangerous and so very common here.   

I am sure the Mexican police will take your expectations into consideration. Be sure to let them know that first thing when you get stopped.

The problem with all this is it was badly handled and people were not well treated.  I spoke with one person who was stopped, cuffed to a chair for hours, then jailed.  She was shoved and mistreated.  It took hours for her to get her phone to make a phone call.  That entire group of people was charged, no one was fined or charged as they passed the breath test, then because the car was impounded was forced to pay quite a bit of money to retrieve the vehicle.  This is how an innocent person was treated.  For those of you who thinks these stops are a good idea, I'm not so trusting as the police typically abuses its power and that's exactly how this was handled.  You may think it's a great idea until you are the one who gets treated this way.

Why in the world would an innocent person have to go to jail, then pay to get their own car, when it was clearly established there was no law broken. Her vehicle should have been returned with no fee and an apology.   I'm not interested in hearing about how this is Mexico that's the way it is.  If no one objects to this kind of abuse and treatment , then it will continue.  It doesn't matter what country you are in, this is not a proper way to handle a human being.  No food or water in the meantime.  Yes.  Very humane treatment.......

3 hours ago, Zeb said:

That entire group of people was charged, no one was fined or charged as they passed the breath test...

That second test they all passed was to check if they were sober enough to be released.

1 hour ago, lakeside7 said:

Thank you for the clarification..Yes I thought they all failed the test...... that's why they were taken to jail!!!!...Why do folks distort the situation

If you knew the person you would have the answer.

Speaking in generalities, of course.............

1 hour ago, lakeside7 said:

Thank you for the clarification..Yes I thought they all failed the test...... that's why they were taken to jail!!!!...Why do folks distort the situation

OK, I'm a little confused.  Some of them blew below the "take to jail" level didn't they?  Were those people taken to jail?  Reading the guidelines it looks like they should have been ticketed and released.  Were they?

Archived