Chapala.com Webboard

Need advice / Notary Public

sputnik

Does anyone know where a notary Public is to verify my signature?

I know a Notario here is a lawyer but a notary to notarize documents is different.  And also, has anyone had any experience with a notary not being accepted in the U.S. with his seal on a document?  Thanks for any help anyone can give.

A Notario IS NOT A Lawyer in Mexico.  Separate professions in Mexico. Okay - I stand corrected - I considered them separate professions due to the hierarchy and the number of lawyers in a notario's office with the lawyer's preparing the documents and the Notario authenticating, etc.

The US Consulate notarizes documents.  I believe people have also used an online notary service, but not all states accept it.

Use the search function for notary

1 hour ago, WideSky said:

A Notario IS NOT A Lawyer in Mexico.  Separate professions in Mexico.

The US Consulate notarizes documents.  I believe people have also used an online notary service, but not all states accept it.

Use the search function for notary

What? I thought all notarios in Mexico were lawyers but most lawyers here aren't notarios.

3 minutes ago, cedros said:

What? I thought all notarios in Mexico were lawyers but most lawyers here aren't notarios.

That is my understanding as well. 

http://dottyvidargas.com/resources/the-role-of-the-notario-in-mexico

The Notario has the power to witness and certify important business documents which require absolute authenticity. The appointment also holds responsibility for the management and secure storage of original records. Notario’s must be Mexicans of at least 35 year in age, they must have a degree in Law, have 3 year’s work experience at a Notario office and they must pass a stringent exam. Those who pass, in time, are appointed as Notario’s by the State Governor.

A Notario/a also verifies signatures on documents in Mexico for about $400.00 pesos per document. We have had it done many times here but only for Mexican documents, They also write wills and here [SLP] in Sept. and Nov. they all give 50% off wills.  In some states the 50% off is only in Sept. A will otherwise usually costs about $11,000 to $14,000 pesos.

9 hours ago, ManxMan said:

We got a free US notary done by the US Consulate during their monthly visit to the Lake Chapala Society. 

I had a document notarized by the American Consulate in Guadalajara and the fee was $50.00 USDs or the peso equivalent. I have read right here from other posters in the past it is $50.00 USDs there at the LCS also.

6 hours ago, rvanparys said:

No free lunch with the US consulate....

Keep cutting their budget and there may not be a consulate in Guadalajara at all.

So, short answer to OP's question, go to a local Notario or to the American Consulate when they come to the American Legion or LCS once a month.

Here is a lit of notarios in the area. Some of the information may be out of date.

#1 - Antonio Basulto Madero #266 Chapala

#4 - Juan Jose Rodriguez Aviles, 5 De Mayo 219 Chapala

#5 - Sergio Macias, Hidalgo #245 Chapala Speaks English

#115- Jorge Luis Ramos who is corredor publico #40, at Vincente Guerrero #106F Chapala is notario #4 in Ocotlan. Speaks English. His brother is notario #115 in Guadalajara.

#2 - Luis Enrique Ramos, Calle del Parque Ote. 60, Chula Vista, Speaks English. (376)766 0190

Ajijic Adriana Villasenor Pujol, Notaria Publica #3, 766-2659 At east entrance to Villa Nova

Jocotepec (#1) is Juan Carlos Lopez Jara. His address is Hidalgo Sur 26 which is in the plaza just to the south of the municipal offices. He is upstairs. He doesn't speak English but will call in a translator. (387) 763 0252.

Ixtlahuacan Pascual Avila Perez, Notaria Publica No. 1

Jardin Plaza No. 2,

376 762 0240 or 376 762 004

Tuxcueca Sergio Macias Jr. (son of notary #5 Sergio Macias).

Archived