Chapala.com Webboard

hotel between Laredo & Ajijic

Kurbie

With the dogs and all the "stuff" we anticipate not getting across the border into Mexico until late morning.  It will be our first drive and looking for recommendations on where to stay on the way down to Ajijic.  We're NOT the least bit fluent in Spanish and will have 2 dogs.  Any help is appreciated!

If crossing through Texas at Laredo Bridge II (open 24/7) or Colombia Solidarity (opens at 8 am), your option is Las Palmas in Matehuala and you can make a reservation in advance. It's about 6 hours, or halfway, to Ajijic and some 3 hours closer to your destination than Saltillo. Despite what websites may claim, most hotels in Mexico do not accept dogs: Las Palmas does. There are several "no tell" motels that charge hourly and are safe and clean, but I don't know of any to recommend personally. Your best bet is to cross as early as you can and, if you get into Matehuala early, take a break, enjoy a decent dinner on premises, and get a full night's sleep.

I think stopping in Matehuala is good advice.  We have two cats and that's what we did.  When you make reservations, be sure to ask about the parking situation in case you need your vehicle to be enclosed safely somewhere, unless you will bring your belongings inside the room with you.

The no tell motel is just north of Matehuala at the turn off to Real de Catorce; orange building on the southwest corner of the intersection.  Nice, clean rooms with a garage for the safety of your car and belongings and they take dogs.

weve crossed many times, have used the no tell motels but never know what you get.  We have two dogs.  Have stayed at Las Palmas in Matehuala three times, 2 sneeking in dogs.  BUT yesterday tired of sneeking.  Told lady have service dog and another.  She told a guy we have "macotes" Pets and where to put us?  He said in the back.  It is wonderful, park car right by door, garden right behind you.  Another couple from U.S. had a big Labrador, Not a service dog!!!  So evidently recently they allow them.  $56 US.  More then the no tell motels but you know what you are getting.  Also Walmart right across the street.

I've never had a problem with no tell motels.  Every one has been extraordinarily clean with nothing-fancy decor and plenty of hot water.  Some are by the hour or 4 hour time periods, but I just go elsewhere until I find one that wants to rent by the whole night, which is most of them.  Especially nice if you have belongings in your car that you want to keep safe.

I concur with Las Palmas in Matehuela. I've stayed there several times. Aside from the TV which is silly, it's great. And they accept mascotes happily. Rthey just put you at the end. Also, just further along the street there's a restaurant that serves cabrito, (goat) a speciality of the north.

http://laspalmasmidwayinn.com/en/

We have stayed in Saltillo and Matehuala with our two dogs....we tend to go as far as Saltillo driving north, and as far south as Matehuala coming south.  If you can comfortably get to Matehuala, I agree with the choice of Las Palmas.  For awhile they were officially a no-pet hotel, but they have come around, realizing that many people want to stay there on their way north or south, and that there is a market for a pet-owning clientele.  However, they do have a limited number of cabins that they deem pet-friendly (tiled floor, not carpeted), so make a reservation and let them know you need a room and  you have mascotes.  Get confirmation that that is no problem.  (Someone on the phone will speak good enough English that you can determine this, or if you reserve by email, you will have written confirmation)  They charge, if I remember correctly, $10 US per pet.  

If you find you cannot comfortably get to Matehuala by mid to late afternoon, due to delays at the border, etc., the Four Corners Sheraton hotel in north --Saltillo is pet-friendly.  It wasn't, and some sites online still indicate that it isn't, or that they charge exhorbitant amounts to take your pets, but that is not the case.  They charge $10 US per pet extra to let you stay with your pet(s). Again, I would try to reserve in advance, preferably by email so that you have confirmation of the policy and the charges, but they do speak English at the desk if you reserve by phone.

Las Palmas is a little tired and overpriced, but there are extensive grounds for walking your dog on a leash, including a great ciclopista/walking trail at one end of the property where your dogs can sniff and explore and you can stretch your legs after your drive.  Four  Corners has less property, but the rooms are nicer than at Las Palmas, and there are sufficient grounds to keep your on leash dogs happy.  Las Palmas rooms have covered, not-enclosed parking beside each unit, and we have felt our belongings are safe on the grounds; Four Corners has a manned gate.  It also has an indoor pool.  

We have never felt confident enough to try the no-tell motel option, though we know others who have done so.

Las Palmas     You will receive a discount with a CAA membership.The rooms to the left (facing the hotel) are smaller and cheaper.The restaurant at the hotel is very good as is Noria (sp?) which is directly across the highway from the hotel.The notell is also a good choice but negotiate a night rather than an hourly fee.

We've stayed at Las Palmas four times over our six plus years in Mexico.  You'd think with age would come a modicum of wisdom.  I guess not.  This place is cosmetically nice but it was built maybe in the late 50's, early 60's and has had ZERO improvements since then.  Post World War II AC units that do absolutely nothing but circulate warm, tepid air.  Hard mattresses and old I Love Lucy style TVs with maybe ten channels, none in English.  And at $75.00 USD not much of a bargain in Mexico.  My advice is to try to make it to Saltillo or try someplace else.  It astounds me that this place receives such good reviews.  It is secure and does allow dogs but that's about all it's suitable for is dogs.  Do yourself a favor and find a better place at a less expensive price.  You'll be glad you did.

Well, the issue here is pets..... Las Palmas takes pets. But, yes, I too think it is not the best (rooms/beds) in town but people are creatures of habit.

The Hotel del Parque downtown is much nicer and has comfy beds but doesn't take pets. Garage  underneath is a bit tight getting into so don't take a Surburban into it.

I'm surprised that you had to pay $75 especially with the exchange rate.... that's 1300 pesos.  I've always paid about $46 but admittedly I have not stayed there for several years. Bookings.com just said $55 for 2 persons.

Their restaurant is OK, but for great food go across the street to La Noria.

28 minutes ago, RickS said:

Well, the issue here is pets..... Las Palmas takes pets. But, yes, I too think it is not the best (rooms/beds) in town but people are creatures of habit.

The Hotel del Parque downtown is much nicer and has comfy beds but doesn't take pets. Garage  underneath is a bit tight getting into so don't take a Surburban into it.

I'm surprised that you had to pay $75 especially with the exchange rate.... that's 1300 pesos.  I've always paid about $46 but admittedly I have not stayed there for several years. Bookings.com just said $55 for 2 persons.

Their restaurant is OK, but for great food go across the street to La Noria.

I think the $75 comes from the $55 for 2, PLUS $20 for the dogs, so $75.

Archived