Chapala.com Webboard

Dr. Lowell Stephen Birch

How do you know it's your sciatic nerve and not your femoral. Both affect your hip and one the back of the leg and the other the front. At a certain age deteriorating disc disease affect a lot of people. I agree with El Salto 100% on seeing an ortho surgeon but let them decide what diagnostics.

• Like 2

I have used chiropractic successfully for years for different problems.  But I wouldn't see Dr. Birch because he doesn't hold a license in Mexico.  He hasn't done his service to the community/country and won't get my support.  I want someone who has done things legally and done his service period like an honest person.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Disagree 100%.

OK, you're free to do so.  My problem was a congenital defect, impossible to fix w/o surgery.  It was found via x-ray and MRI.  Thorough diaganosics will tell if one needs surgery or can be dealt with via chiropractic.  W/O good diagnostics any Chiro manipulation is just fiddling in the dark.

• Like 4

Regrettably, Dr.Lowell Birch's treatment for my wife did not work as expected and that became obvious in the early stages of treatment.  Without us having to ask, he immediately offered a refund of the unused portion of the prepayment.  That was fair so, for us his ethics are not in question.

I think it would be unwise to get only a single opinion for a problem with which one does not have an answer. However, dismissing chiropractic as a whole based on a different problem is not the way to go. I have had a sciatic problem, just a few times, since I was 25, and chiropractic saved my bacon. A decent chiropractor is going to take x-rays and do a full workup on you, and recommend course of action.

In your case, El Saltos, as you pointed out the problem "was a congenital defect, impossible to fix w/o surgery". In my case, I have a folder of x-rays from just a few weeks ago, with personalized spinal charts, and associated diagnoses that tell me the problem is the same as it was all those years ago. There is no surgical fix, but the chiro treatments do work.

• Like 1

Following up on the discussion about treatment for sciatica,  I saw my orthopedic surgeon last week.  He says every case can be different, sometimes acupuncture helps, sometimes chiropractic treatment helps, often physio can be the solution.  But, if it is chronic get an MRI & find the root of the problem.  I would think most Drs. would say the same thing.

• Like 4

John E. Sarno, M.D., is Professor of Clinical Rehabilitation Medicine, New York University School of Medicine, and attending physician at the Howard A. Rusk Institute of Rehabilitation Medicine, New York University Medical Center. You may want to look at the books and the website below. The solution does not require any surgery, medication, or exercises. It sounds too good to be true, but it works...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_E._Sarno

A good Dr of chiropractic, like the ones at Dr youcha office , who are licensed in mexico. will look at your records you bring with you, from your DR.  and be part of the team to get you well, and will tell if chiropractic will not work.

Remember theirs meat on the bone, and muscle play a large part in your problem.

Get some physical therapy also at ajijic clinic, LUKE is great. she amazing what she has done for me.

always good to get preventive or maintenence care first, surgery can work, but if it doesn't you will spend the rest of your life fixing the problem caused by surgery or need further surgeries.

its good you are asking around, and posting you will get several opinions. then make a informed decision.

On 8/12/2017 at 6:06 PM, SunshineyDay said:

Erin Dixon may be the answer. She did wonders for my wife!

She has also done wonders for me. Had a neck problem for 35+ years. Lots of chiropractors, massage and orthos who wanted to do surgery. Erin worked on me, it took about 6 months and now. Am totally pain free after over 35 years.

I am curious, callejera. From all reports, he charges very high prices to "pay for the expensive machine". Except like a toll booth that was built to pay for a bridge, long after the bridge is paid for, the toll never stops.

• 2 years later...

After the initial posts, I had cause to visit him several times for sciatica. After one visit, my pain (which made it almost impossible to walk) was 50% gone. Two visits, 75%, and so on. It's been two years now, and while I still have residual issues, I basically have no pain. These were manual adjustments to my spine, not the torture rack. I have to add, 4 treatments in Ottawa when I was visiting did nothing. And I have been a chiropractic supporter since I was in my early 30s, when the first bout of sciatica hit me.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2017 at 1:06 PM, shortstop said:

Has anyone had treatment from this Dr. ?  He's located in the Interlago Plaza. I am having sciatic nerve problems.  Thanks for any info.

Do make an appointment with Dr Birch as he has to make another payment on this magic table. Anything you see him for, from sinus to sciatica the cure is inevitably several rides on the table. When you have a hammer; everything looks like a nail.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

I have a congenital bone/joint deformity. Years ago in Canada friends convinced me to see a chiropractor for back pain. The chiropractor I saw cracked my neck, causing severe pain and issues for months after. Some years later I was again having back and neck pain and a friend told me of a chiropractor reputed to be the best in BC. I believe Macmillan was his name. I decided to make an appointment. He looked me over and told me my problems came from my fat wallet carried in my back pocket. He took x-rays and told me that ANY chiropractor who works without imaging is a quack. Over about 4 months he did very gentle adjustments to my neck and back and cured my issue, plus I stopped carrying the wallet.