Chapala.com Webboard

Toll free Canadian number

cedros

Someone has given me a 855 toll free number to phone in Canada. Of course it doesn't work. Does anyone have the conversion number to use for 855? I realize it would not be free. 

Be careful with 855 calls. 

I can't directly answer your original question but here's what I've gathered.

It is a toll free system that charges the receiver instead of the caller.

There are a number of scams involving phone calls from numbers with the 855 prefix, including fake debt collection services, fake computer tech support and false company representatives. Wary consumers should never divulge personal information to such unsolicited callers

Fraudulent individuals claiming to be company representatives ask for confirmation of personal details such as name, address and Social Security number. Malware is sometimes placed in internet downloads; this causes a system error message with advice to call an 855 number to pay for tech support. False debt collectors ask for money to be wired to them. Report scams from fraudulent numbers to Consumer Affairs or the police.

Assigned in 1999 for future toll free services use, the 855 area code will finally become active starting October 2, 2010 at 12PM. On June 25, 2010 the FCC Federal Communications Commission authorized the introduction of the 855 area code as a result of an extensive analysis indicating the exhaustion of current toll free numbers by November 21, 2010. As a reminder, toll free area codes currently in use are: 800, 866, 877 and 888.

Archived