Chapala.com Webboard

Tinaco Maintenance

Yes, they do, but not much. There is a pump in the tinaco to help force water through the system, and there is a filter that should be checked every so often. The pump can wear out, the filter can get clogged, that kind of thing. Guys who work on these things will tell you to clean it regularly, but in five-six years in my current place, I've only had it drained and cleaned once.

Same with the aljibe, the underground water storage that pushes the water to your tinaco. Depending on where you live (eg, in Riberas, the sand content of the water system is very high, often causing filtration problems for some), you will get different results.

We lived in our Ajijic home for three years, and in out Chapala home for ten. We never cleaned either a tinaco or an aljibe.  However, we did use filters and UV.  Having the foot valve or submersible pump, the better choice, 6-10 inches above the bottom of the aljibe will allow room for sediment to settle and allows cleaner water to be delivered to the filters.  We changed them twice each year.

Ditto, there is no pump in my tinako. Gravity system, not pressurized.

If you can get up to look in your tinako, or send a worker up and have him take a photo, it will be obvious if it needs to be cleaned. If there is a bunch of sand and other sediment in it, or weird things floating around (I found a bunch of tiny frogs in mine- since there is no way for them to get in, I figure the eggs were actually in the city water) then it needs to be cleaned. If it looks clean, or reasonably so, no need.

Archived