Chapala.com Webboard

Check in procedure at airport?

In magic marker, I write Residente Permanent on the top of both sections. In the Purpose of Trip, I check "Other". The last time I flew out, the IMN person was careful to make the same notations.

Some key entries/info: 

The INM agent at GDL will give you a blank form.  You will have to step aside and fill it out.

On the top part of form:

Box 7, enter Mexico

Box 8, enter RP number (back of card)

Box 9, enter OTRO for purpose of trip

Write Residente Permanente at very top of from and again below the perforation on the lower portion of form.  When we left in July, the INM officer at GDL departures also wrote these words.

The rest of form is straight-forward.  After you complete it, return to the INM window so the agent can stamp it.  He will give the stamped form back to you.  Our agent separated the form at the perforation and put the lower (smaller) portion in our passport, knowing this is what the airline expects.  Keep the upper larger portion in a safe place...you will need it when you return to MX. 

The lower shorter part of form is collected by the airline before you depart, usually at the gate just prior to boarding. 

Again, keep the upper larger portion for your return to MX.  .  

When you return to MX do not fill out the blank FMM form the airline staff hands out on the plane (but take one and keep it for your next trip so you can fill it out before getting to GDL).

Enter the arriving flight info on the upper portion of the FMM you kept when you left Mexico.  When you approach the INM desk at GDL arrival area, show him/her your RP card FIRST and say, Soy Residente.  Then hand over your  FMM and passport.  The INM agent will keep the FMM form and you will leave their desk with only your RP card and passport.  

Just now, lakeside7 said:

If you have a tight connection in MX CITY maybe smarter to process paperwork in Guadalajara, then make sure ithat remains with you boarding passes 

INM at GDL won't issue FMM if you are flying from GDL to somewhere within Mexico.  I have tried!

32 minutes ago, Brian Dalziel said:

Question: At the Guadalajara airport, about how early before flight time do passengers need to arrive for outbound flights going direct to the USA?  Thanks in advance for the advice.   

Check with your specific airline.  

We've been flying United lately and they require you check your bags 60 minutes in advance of international flight time.   Have flown Volaris in past and their website says 3 hours in advance of international flight time to check bags (that seemed extreme for an early morning flight so we arrived 2 hours early and it was fine).  

I always allow an extra 30 minutes in case of road delays on drive to GDL and also for INM desk.  INM had a very long line when we last flew to the US.  

The "three hour" arrival is a general rule set for international flights leaving GDL. It is nonsense, though... Bisbee Gal is right: the biggest worry is what happens if traffic is tied up? But that is kind of a blanket problem. My worry a few weeks ago was whether or not the Ejido demonstrations would cause delays. They did not, either leaving or returning.

I leave about two hours ahead, or less: 30-40 min to get there from lakeside. If you go at the expected time, the lineups are the very longest they will ever be. You will waste one of your three hours standing in line.

As I posted before, coming back from Ottawa International, I got there the requisite three hours ahead... only to discover barely a soul in the place. When my gate people eventually turned up, they told me "Eh, we're small: two hours is plenty. That's when we come in."

Sure, go ahead and give it a try. Just because people who have already tried it and failed, and being made aware of the actual legal requirement, who knows? A qualified gringo can easily bypass the regular system, right?

5 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Sure, go ahead and give it a try. Just because people who have already tried it and failed, and being made aware of the actual legal requirement, who knows? A qualified gringo can easily bypass the regular system, right?

Hmmm. It was not my intention to imply that I was "qualified" traveler and offering professional advice. Perhaps like a regular foodie person commenting or reviewing his dining experience..and surprise surprise the "other" folks who visit the same restaurant do not get the same experience.

At least having your card completed for presentation at MX City will help if the OP has a very short connecting time.

Perhaps other experienced travelers who have done a similar trip can indicate  the concourse or gate  the INM office is located in MX City?.  Good luck

There's quite a difference between opinion (about a restaurant, as per your example) and fact (Immigration regulations).

It certainly would be nice and make it that much easier for all of us if you could everything at your initial departure, but the airlines are not set up for that. In fact, my recent trip north could not even be purchased as a round trip... I had to buy two one-way tickets. (Thus shedding light on an earlier rumour that one has to show proof of one's return when flying out with a Temproale or Permanente.)

20 hours ago, bezerk said:

If you are flying from GDL to Mexico City then to USA , is it possible to do do immigration in GDL?

In the past I've done that.  'Twas a pain in the behind to locate it in Mexico so I filled out my departure info as the flight from Mexico, not GDL, but had it stamped here in Guadalajara.   Never had a problem and was never challenged on it.   Of course on the return flight I'd put the flight into Mexico City as it was point of entry.  Hey, give it a shot, all they can say is no and then you can do it in Mexico.

3 hours ago, el bartman said:

In the past I've done that.  'Twas a pain in the behind to locate it in Mexico so I filled out my departure info as the flight from Mexico, not GDL, but had it stamped here in Guadalajara.   Never had a problem and was never challenged on it.   Of course on the return flight I'd put the flight into Mexico City as it was point of entry.  Hey, give it a shot, all they can say is no and then you can do it in Mexico.

Thank you el batman for sharing your experience 

We have done as Bartman did:  flying to Fort Lauderdale with a connection through CDMX. The INM agent at GDL gladly processed our FMM (for statistical purposes only, of course, as we are permanentes), so we didn't have to seek out the desk / window at the Mexico City airport. This was back in February of 2016.

I figure it never hurts to ask. Who knows what card you'll draw that day!!!

35 minutes ago, kbleitch said:

We have done as Bartman did:  flying to Fort Lauderdale with a connection through CDMX. The INM agent at GDL gladly processed our FMM (for statistical purposes only, of course, as we are permanentes), so we didn't have to seek out the desk / window at the Mexico City airport. This was back in February of 2016.

I figure it never hurts to ask. Who knows what card you'll draw that day!!!

Thank you kbleitch for sharing your experience........as you say it never hurts to ask

Thanks to all...I plan to try.  My husband who comes as tourist flew same flight GDL to CDMX, then on to Boston...he asked as had lots of time in Mexico city for me. and they actually told him best to do in Guadalajara so guess it is heads or tails..which is up or down. 

I am not fond of flying period and have much anxiety so wanted to try to do in GDL to feel more comfortable, will advise when I return of my luck! 

Never hurts to try, thinks change in these areas of Mexico let's face it depending who is working ..LOL.

On 8/11/2017 at 9:39 AM, ComputerGuy said:

The "three hour" arrival is a general rule set for international flights leaving GDL. It is nonsense, though

If you are flying out of GDL on American, Delta, Alaska or United there is generally one plane so at most there will be 120 people in line waiting to check in.

When flying Mexican airlines either domestic or international it is worthwhile to check the departure stats using a site like http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus/flightStatusByAirport.do?airport=GDL

I've been to the airport 3 times in the last month with grandkids flying Volaris and Interjet. At the 7-8am hour Volaris has about 8 flights departing. The same or even more for Interjet and Aeromexico. The Volaris "lines" were almost out the door. No one knew where they were supposed to be. The Aeromexico lines bent to the left and stretched far past the security doors. With 8-10 flights leaving in a short time period there can be 1,000 or more people trying to check in.

Three hours is still extreme but arriving 90 minutes before your flight waiting in a queue of several hundred people can be stressful, especially if you have to wind your way through the masses to get to INM before returning to the ticket counter line.

Okay, I'm going to continue to do it the proper way with INM, when catching a flight actually leaving the country. You guys can take your chances, and good luck to you . I must say, the staff at INM in Mexico City was far and away superior in knowledge and attitude than anyone I've ever dealt with in the GDL airport. And very-well signed.

Archived