Chapala.com Webboard

Do not resuscitate document suggestions

My understanding is an advance directive is produced by a notario as is a will. FYI September is "will" month and they are half price. 

1 hour ago, gary0131 said:

Any suggestions for an attorney to write up a "Do not resuscitate" document? Thank you.

Tough to implement in real life. Unless you travel with it chances are any medical help will in fact try to resuscitate. Once hospitalized, a talk with the people responsible and the AP in the presence of a witness may well be all you need. If not competent, you next of kin or best friend, etc. MAY be able to discuss your wish with the doc. Having the document you ask about could be very helpful so make sure the right person has possession of it. My wife had a very nice phone conversation with the doctor in charge of her dad's care. The doc explained her dad was not competent to make medical decisions and that in the absence of a DNR they would be required to do so. She asked if he would place a DNR and the doc agreed and a couple of months later he suffered another cardiac arrest and died a peaceful death. One to one is many times better than a legal doc. 

Attorney #2 in lower Chula Vista does DNR's and he is quite good at talking you thru the ins and outs. I hear that some hospitals do them also, as part of admission procedures. You'll need to name a couple of friends willing to pull the plug on you.

• Like 1

Frank died from lung cancer complications in a Guadalajara hospital. The hospital policy was that if there was no brain activity for 72 hours then the life support was removed automatically thereby sparing the family from having to make that awful decision. I will always be grateful for this compassionate policy. 

We work with a notary who does a dual column 16 page English / Spanish medical POA which is incredibly complete.  Covers almost every situation imaginable.

A dated Tattoo over a nipple - friends up north are doing this because there is an unfortunate trend to some religious family members objecting and then the hospital staff stuttering and it goes to court which is lengthy etc...  in addition to tattoos we have friends making time and date stamped videos of their verbal directions, and explanation of the written directive and then every family member must agree on video.  Who knows anymore why anyone else thinks it should be their decision but for me thisis a decision I want checked, double-checked and then reconfirmed so my terror at lingering isn't the net to the last thing I experience.

Go directly to a Notarios office. I recommend Luis Enrique Ramos in San Antonio. He had my document, with my specific requests, ready in 3 days for a nominal fee. I then took a copy to my doctor who keeps it in my file. He understands I do not want life saving measures, especially since they rarely are... And I have the document copies with my family, a local friend and visibly posted inside my front door. If all that fails, will I notice? Good luck and even better planning.

20 hours ago, midnight said:

Spencer, how is a Medical Power of Atty. different than a Health Directive Document from a notary?

Same thing you list all end of life wishes and then name people to make decisions when you cant.  Here are some examples of a few things covered:

---SECOND.- Specific Situations-------------

A.- In the case grantor has brain damage either from an external or an internal cause with no expectancy of recovery, and as such diagnosed by his doctor and one other health care professional, grantor does not want to undergo any kind of treatment or care that will delay his death. In case Mechanical Life Support has already started grantor wants it to be stopped. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B.- Grantor hereby does agree to a "Do Not Resuscitate" (DNR) order when he is in the last six months of his life.------------------------------------------------------------------

C.- In the case that grantor has entered in the period of six months before his death, and as such diagnosed by his doctor and one other health care professional, grantor does not want to undergo any kind of treatment, including life sustaining treatment, or care that will delay his death. In case Mechanical Life Support has already started grantor wants it to be stopped.-------------------------

D.- In case grantor is in a coma and there is no expectancy of waking-up or recovery, and as such diagnosed by his doctor and one other health care professional, grantor does not want to undergo any kind of treatment or care that will delay his death. In case Mechanical Life Support has already started grantor wants it to be stopped.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E.- In case grantor is suffering from mentally disabling diseases, like dementia or Alzheimer's disease, grantor does/does not wish to receive any kind of life-sustaining treatment. In case Mechanical Life Support has already started grantor wants it to be stopped.--------------------------------------------

F.-In case Grantor is suffering from a specific cause or disease such as cancer he does not wish to receive radiation and/or chemo treatments. In case Mechanical Life Support has already started grantor wants it to be stopped.----------------------------------

---THIRD.- In case grantor has entered into a period of six months before his expected death, and as such diagnosed by his doctor and one other health care professional, grantor wishes to receive palliative care with the aim of a complete absence of pain and an optimal situation of comfort. If possible grantor wishes to receive this care at grantor’s home. Option: If this is not possible then grantor wishes to spend his remaining days at a hospice facility.-----------

---FOURTH.--- Personal Well-being---------

It is grantor’s specific wish to be treated and handled with care, compassion and the aim to reduce discomfort and pain to an absolute minimum. ----------------------------------------

Grantor wishes to be kept clean at all times and receive clean clothes and bed linens whenever needed and when grantor has soiled himself. -----------------------------------

It is grantor’s preference to receive baths instead of showers, and when grantor is not able to leave his bed to receive a full body-wash in bed each day as long as it does not cause him pain and/or discomfort.---------------------------------------------------------------

---- Grantor wishes to have his hair done each day as long as it does not cause him pain and/or discomfort.--------------------------

---- Grantor wishes to receive oral hygiene care each day as long as it does not cause him pain and/or discomfort. --------------------

---- It is for grantor’s comfort, enjoyment and relaxation that grantor wishes to have access to audio-visual entertainment equipment at his bedside. ----------------------

---- Grantor would like to receive massages as long as they do not cause him pain and/or discomfort.----------------------------------------

---- Grantor would like his room never to be completely dark.---------------------------------

---- Grantor would like his room to be of a temperature that is comforting to him.--------

----- Grantor would like to have some personal items with him, and in his reach or sight, that will give him comfort. --------------

---- Grantor would like to have somebody present when he dies.---------------------------

---- Grantor would like to receive:-----------

Care for the dying,----------------------------

Bereavement care for my loved ones.

-----------------------------------------------------------------POST LIFE PLANNING----------

-Grantor wishes to express his wishes for his funeral arrangements and the disposal of his human remains.-----------------------------------

It is grantor’s express wish that after his death the Legal Representative for Health Care Mr. OCTAVIO xxxx.----------------------------------------

will be responsible for the arrangements of his funeral. As such the named person will have the power to give such consent as needed to fulfill grantor’s wishes regarding the funeral arrangements and the disposal of his remains.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----It is grantor’s explicit wish that the above named person, who is responsible for the arrangement of grantor’s funeral, shall also be the person who will claim his body from authorities in case grantor’s death may be suspicious, of not natural causes, caused by an impact of nature, caused by an accident or criminal act, caused by suicide, or any other occurrence that may have caused grantor’s death and demands the involvement of authorities.-----------------------------------------

----Financial arrangements for the funeral arrangements and disposal of grantor’s remains are:---------------------------------------

- to be paid from his estate;---------------------

----After his death grantor wishes the disposition of his body to be determined by OCTAVIO xxxx and to be cremated.----------------------------------------

-----After his death grantor wishes that his body not be exhibited.-------------------------

-----After his death grantor wishes to inform the public by means of: Newspaper.-----------------------------------------------------------------

---After his death grantor wishes his body to be cremated.--------------------------------

----After his death grantor wishes his ashes to be: Lake Chapala.-------------------------

----After his death grantor wishes that a service of remembrance will not be held.-----

• Like 1

If I haven't told you lately Spencer, I think you are a wonderful and compassionate man.

Please, if there is any information about Euthanasia that could be included, it would be a Godsend. Why? Because

"grantor wishes to receive palliative care with the aim of a complete absence of pain and an optimal situation of comfort."

is not always possible. Absolutely NO pain killers in ANY quantity gave my hubby relief from the pain. I would hope that no one should ever have to endure what he did.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...