Chapala.com Webboard

Restaurant to celebrate Golden Wedding Anniversary?

kmetzger

I’m looking for recommendations for a restaurant that offers great food, a nice atmosphere and music to celebrate our Golden Wedding anniversary. Money is no object. It can be anywhere in the Lake Chapala area.

Hmm, the local place that immediately comes to my mind is St. Rémy du Lac -- though La Mision Restaurante and Armando's Hideaway might also offer what you are seeking. 

However, if I were in your shoes, I'd take my bride of 50 years to one of the several top-end restaurants in Guadalajara.  You can hire a driver for the evening to take you there and back, or better yet, stay the night in a fancy hotel.  After all, you did say cost was no object :).

Congrats.

1 hour ago, kmetzger said:

I’m looking for recommendations for a restaurant that offers great food, a nice atmosphere and music to celebrate our Golden Wedding anniversary. Money is no object. It can be anywhere in the Lake Chapala area.

First of all CONGRATULATIONS!!

Second, what kind of food do you and your wife like?  Steak, fish, vegetarian, pasta?  There are some good restaurants closer than Guadalajara.  Depends on how you feel about driving.

Which day of the week is it?

I'd start by consulting some of the reviews on Trip Advisor, naming Chapala, Ajijic, San Antonio.

I was thinking fine dining (steak, fish, pasta, etc.). It would be any day in the middle of the week. I was hoping to get a list of really good restaurants from our community. How about La Mision?

47 minutes ago, kmetzger said:

I was thinking fine dining (steak, fish, pasta, etc.). It would be any day in the middle of the week. I was hoping to get a list of really good restaurants from our community. How about La Mision?

I would suggest GO or St. Remy as festive places.  Armando's, if you left your decorative heart in the fifties, but they do a "flaming" dish and it's cozy.  Just a few there.

Chac Lan at Monte Cosala near the Raquet Club hands down. The most spectacular building and setting on the lake. Government big wigs go there by helicopter and rich folks from Guadalajara hold their big parties there. Very romantic at night especially.

Unless St. Remy's has gotten better, it would not be my first choice right now. It certainly would have been my first choice when they were at Tres Leones... bar none. New location is divine but the food? meh.

Go Bistro would be my choice... ask about quiet romantic music and dancing... or just holding hands.

In the end, it doesn't matter where you go because you have each other... tacos at a road side stand would taste divine. Congratulations on your 50th Wedding Anniversary.

"In the end, it doesn't matter where you go because you have each other... tacos at a road side stand would taste divine. Congratulations on your 50th Wedding Anniversary."

WELL  said!!

21 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Unless St. Remy's has gotten better, it would not be my first choice right now. It certainly would have been my first choice when they were at Tres Leones... bar none. New location is divine but the food? meh.

Go Bistro would be my choice... ask about quiet romantic music and dancing... or just holding hands.

In the end, it doesn't matter where you go because you have each other... tacos at a road side stand would taste divine. Congratulations on your 50th Wedding Anniversary.

In light of Ferret's comments, I probably should clarify that it has been 3 years since I last dined at St. Remy's.  It was an exceptional, fine-dining experience at the time, though I can't really speak to what the restaurant is like today.

My choice is Armando's Hideaway in Ajijic.  Somewhat small and intimate.  I'll be there in a week for my own 34th anniversary.

We always went to Armando‘s for all romantic occasions, or to take visitors for dinner and conversation with fine table settings, excellent service and food, and a tranquil ambiance. If you call ahead & let them know it is a reservation for a very special anniversary, you may get some special perks.

And the atmosphere at Armando's is tranquil and low-lit. When he does flambé at your table, either main course or dessert, as well as preparing Caesar salad from scratch, it's a treat. Nothing else like it around here.

Elegante is a new entrant into the (small) fine dining venues. Couple fish dishes, filet and rack of lamb. 766-1066 On Constitution on the mountainside in the block east of Just Chillin. 

Thank you all very much for your suggestions. I've even received a message from the owner of one of the restaurants mentioned here, offering to have his chef prepare a special menu for the occasion. I’ll visit some of the restaurants this evening to check them out. I’m tending towards a romantic place that might serve shish kebab flambé and provide nice music.

32 minutes ago, kmetzger said:

Thank you all very much for your suggestions. I've even received a message from the owner of one of the restaurants mentioned here, offering to have his chef prepare a special menu for the occasion. I’ll visit some of the restaurants this evening to check them out. I’m tending towards a romantic place that might serve shish kebab flambé and provide nice music.

Here hoping it's VERY special!

6 hours ago, Al Berca said:

Arileo's Steak House would be my choice.

SERIOUSLY???

I love the salmon there and have no complaints about the other menu items.  Good roast beast, too.

HOWEVER:  That restaurant is a huge barn of a place and about as cozy as a high school gym.  Seriously, that's no place for romantic nostalgia! :lol:

I'm thinking Armando's is just about right for this occasion...........or maybe Elegante?

1 hour ago, gringal said:

SERIOUSLY???

I love the salmon there and have no complaints about the other menu items.  Good roast beast, too.

HOWEVER:  That restaurant is a huge barn of a place and about as cozy as a high school gym.  Seriously, that's no place for romantic nostalgia! :lol:

I'm thinking Armando's is just about right for this occasion...........or maybe Elegante?

Everyone likes different things. For me Arileo is much nicer than Armando. Armando is a congested , claustrophobic little place with terrible decor and no privacy. Once was enough.

12 minutes ago, cedros said:

Everyone likes different things. For me Arileo is much nicer than Armando. Armando is a congested , claustrophobic little place with terrible decor. Once was enough.

On Armando's, I agree with you.  Once was enough for us too.

Kudos to the OP for planning for a very important event. I wouldn't begin to suggest "where" although I am aware of most of the suggestions. I'm sure you don't need this advice but I'll give it anyway. Does la jeffa concentrate more on ordering a certain meal or does she like ambiance and the meal is secondary, she can find something on any menu that she will enjoy? Answer that question and you are well on your way to a great anniversary dinner. Congratulations and buen provecho and many more years together!!!

12 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Kudos to the OP for planning for a very important event. I wouldn't begin to suggest "where" although I am aware of most of the suggestions. I'm sure you don't need this advice but I'll give it anyway. Does la jeffa concentrate more on ordering a certain meal or does she like ambiance and the meal is secondary, she can find something on any menu that she will enjoy? Answer that question and you are well on your way to a great anniversary dinner. Congratulations and buen provecho and many more years together!!!

Good point. 

On Armando's.....haven't been there since the ladies who were renting it left.  About Arileo...still can't imagine a "romantic" dinner there,  but each to his/her own.  Hope our celebrating couple get both fine ambiance and a very good dinner!

Archived