Chapala.com Webboard

Restaurant to celebrate Golden Wedding Anniversary?

kmetzger

Of all the restaurants mentioned herein and although we've been to everyone of them over the years and.............. have only been to Elegante once in the short time they've been open, they would, definitely be our choice for Ajijic.  However, Bistro Ofelia in Guadalajara is always our special occasion choice........hands down!  It's so good that it's worth the cost of a hotel (La Mansion del Sol, as and example) and the unbelievably low cost of convenient Uber rides to and from the restaurant of choice (in Guadalajara).  As mentioned in the earlier post, the retirement a few years back of the tired owner/chef of Armando's Hide-A-Way and then, after a tremendous resurgence of business and many accolades by the new "very hard working and skilled" mother/daughter operators, the unscrupulous owner decided that he wanted his restaurant back........and promptly kicked them out.  Many, like ourselves have never crossed the threshold since and despite good reviews (by those who don't know the history) likely never will!

1 hour ago, Carnivore said:

Of all the restaurants mentioned herein and although we've been to everyone of them over the years and.............. have only been to Elegante once in the short time they've been open, they would, definitely be our choice for Ajijic.  However, Bistro Ofelia in Guadalajara is always our special occasion choice........hands down!  It's so good that it's worth the cost of a hotel (La Mansion del Sol, as and example) and the unbelievably low cost of convenient Uber rides to and from the restaurant of choice (in Guadalajara).  As mentioned in the earlier post, the retirement a few years back of the tired owner/chef of Armando's Hide-A-Way and then, after a tremendous resurgence of business and many accolades by the new "very hard working and skilled" mother/daughter operators, the unscrupulous owner decided that he wanted his restaurant back........and promptly kicked them out.  Many, like ourselves have never crossed the threshold since and despite good reviews (by those who don't know the history) likely never will!

There are two versions of what happened with Armando's, with adherents to each, depending. 

My only negative thought about the idea of dining and staying in Guadalajara is that after 50 years of marriage, the couple are likely not "spring chickens" (unless it was "teen romance")  and are likely to prefer sleeping in their own bed after whatever level of partying they choose, plus that ride to Guadalaja is no joy.  Since you tried Elegante and apparently were pleased, I'll second your vote for it.  The prices are definitely "special occasion" ones for most of us, and hopefully, the food, service and ambiance are worth it.

We need at least one super "Elegante" place here for celebrating those special times.

1 hour ago, Carnivore said:

I know the history as well as anybody, and it's shameful that you should bring up this dead horse to flog again. In retaliation, I will category deny your version, and instead point to... nevermind. Please drop it. How thoughtless.

26 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

I double my vote for Armando‘s, and I agree 100% with the improper and false dredging up of an old one-sided story.  It is a very dead horse, with no smell remaining.

To quote an old saw:  "There are two sides to every story", but you're right.  This is dead history.  If you like the food, the ambiance, the service and the proprietor at Armando's, go there.

Elegante and St. Remy are both very big on ambience. Very high end table settings and food is quite good but a bit on the expensive side. I have been to both in the past week. The food at St. Remy is quite rich so if that is an issue for you it would not be a good choice.

Maybe it was mentioned already, but I would love to hear which restaurant the couple chose for their 50th anniversary and whether they thought the service and food were as great as some of us posted about the restaurant they chose.

On 8/7/2017 at 5:11 PM, kmetzger said:

I was thinking fine dining (steak, fish, pasta, etc.). It would be any day in the middle of the week. I was hoping to get a list of really good restaurants from our community. How about La Mision?

I had the best Beef Tenderloin at La Mision!!

Our 50th is  January 20th!!

maw

Archived