Chapala.com Webboard

Salva Vidas DUI La Floresa

It's about time!!  Sundays in Lakeside have been a nightmare as long as I can remember, at least since 2001. Hopefully no mordidas accepted and a night in jail but that's probably wishful thinking.

From the whining on Facebook about failed breathalyzer tests, night spent in jail, and cars impounded it does not sound like anyone was looking for mordida. One poster said she was out "for dinner and drinks" and accused cops at DUI checkpoint of stopping her "for no reason at all" and how cops in the States never do that. Don't know where she came from but in Southern California DUI checks are a normal occurance. You drive up to the checkpoint, get a flashlight in the face, cop leans close and asks questions, then waves you on if they don't smell alcohol, your eyes aren't glassy, and there is nothing else to cause them to go further. 

5 minutes ago, Xena said:

From the whining on Facebook about failed breathalyzer tests, night spent in jail, and cars impounded it does not sound like anyone was looking for mordida. One poster said she was out "for dinner and drinks" and accused cops at DUI checkpoint of stopping her "for no reason at all" and how cops in the States never do that. Don't know where she came from but in Southern California DUI checks are a normal occurance. You drive up to the checkpoint, get a flashlight in the face, cop leans close and asks questions, then waves you on if they don't smell alcohol, your eyes aren't glassy, and there is nothing else to cause them to go further. 

Yeah, have you ever seen a perp who said they were guilty?

On 8/6/2017 at 5:59 PM, TechnoNorm said:

Validad setting up DUI checkpoint with many tow trucks for those who fail sobrity test.

Givan the horrendous experience now being circulated on Facebook by one culprit it should be a warning to do not drink and drive or have have a designated driver. One might also question the validity of the testing equipment ..but as so many past experiences suggest do what ever you can to stay out of jail, even if it means paying "up front"

23 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

Givan the horrendous experience now being circulated on Facebook by one culprit it should be a warning to do not drink and drive or have have a designated driver. One might also question the validity of the testing equipment ..but as so many past experiences suggest do what ever you can to stay out of jail, even if it means paying "up front"

Get ready to be attacked for that one!  (Not by me)

What I am curious about  was what was the degree of alcohol you had to have for you to be considered under the influence? Any alcohol or a percentage?   Just curious because I do not drink and drive and am totally against drinking and driving so you drink you spend a night in jail.. that is life and no jail is not pretty.

lakeside 7 what do you think the price is to let you out of DUI , I am very curious about people speaking about paying up front ...It seems that mordida was not asked for so what do you offer in this case?

1 hour ago, bmh said:

What I am curious about  was what was the degree of alcohol you had to have for you to be considered under the influence? Any alcohol or a percentage?   Just curious because I do not drink and drive and am totally against drinking and driving so you drink you spend a night in jail.. that is life and no jail is not pretty.

lakeside 7 what do you think the price is to let you out of DUI , I am very curious about people speaking about paying up front ...It seems that mordida was not asked for so what do you offer in this case?

I do not in any way condone drinking and driving, period...nor running red lights etc.,.....however given the process and procedures of "The System", (if indeed the correct protocol was followed), do what you need to do to stay out of jail. Not being able to make a telephone call seems to me to be unreasonable...don't you think????

But IF this is "their" system, beware of the consequences. 

When I was taken away after an accident the MP told me I had the right to phone calls and they read me my rights.. but I was not able to reach my husband so I called a friend. They put me in jail and at that point they told me I could not make a phone call and took my cell away with all my other possessions.

A mexican friend of mine came to visit me  and I took his cell from his shirt pocket  and made phone calls hiding below the window., also got money and food from him and a jacket and mosquito repellent..If you do not have anyone who knows the system it is pretty rough.

I wonder if the rule is different when caught on a DUI.. I wonder why this woman did not have the same right to phone calls..sounds a little strange.

Here is what is posted on Facebook.  

Aside from stopping people who have not committed a traffic violation (and many have said that they are doing that here regularly and in the U.S.), I think there are a couple of things that we can take away from this:
1. Since the police freely told several people that they were arresting anyone who "blew" more than .025 on the breathalyzer .... and also freely acknowledged that is the equivalent of one beer.... while the limit in Mexico is .08. One woman has had a dialogue regarding this discrepancy, asking how are any of us supposed to be able to go out to dinner, have a couple of drinks and feel that we can drive home, even if we are way below the limit? And what is that going to do to the restaurant industry here?
2. The way that the police treated me and others here was simply unacceptable. None of us were drunk, none of us were abusive, none of us were shouting, yet we were pushed around and all handcuffed to a chair, some for hours, and then driven in the dead of night (still handcuffed) to a jail in Zapopan (outside of Guadalajara), not told what was happening, not allowed to make phone calls (our cells were taken away), not allowed to take anything out of our cars (I was yanked out of my car and that's the last I saw of it). At least I speak Spanish and I was finally given a sheet, in Spanish, which explained what my rights were (and basically, we have no rights until we get to the jail, and then had the right to only one phone call). But what about the others who didn't speak any Spanish?...

So the cops admitted they were arresting people at one third the legal limit?  (see bolded part)

And then were abusive?

It is one thing to support enforcement of DUI laws, God knows we could use it around here particularly on the weekends.  It is quite something else when the police behave as reported here.

Perhaps Spencer can share with us the legality of this situation.  Clearly if the cops are free to rewrite the DUI laws to suit their own agenda, one had better plan to either walk to a restaurant or eat at home.  If one third the legal limit is their standard one night, maybe zero will be it the next time. 

It would be prudent IMO not to drink any alcohol when going out in one's car to a restaurant or anywhere else until this situation is clarified.

And Xena, sharing this with the community hardly qualifies as "whining."  It is a public service.  Let's not blame the victims.  This could have happened to almost any one of us.

Many don't realized that the Limit in Jalisco State is not 0.08

Drunk driving regulations vary between states. The national limit is 0.08 although in some states, the limit is lower. These include:

• 0.04: Aguascalientes, Chiapas, Distrito Federal, Estado de México, Hidalgo, Jalisco, Michoacán, Tamaulipas, and Veracruz.
  • 0.05: Chihuahua

41 minutes ago, RonR said:

Many don't realized that the Limit in Jalisco State is not 0.08

Drunk driving regulations vary between states. The national limit is 0.08 although in some states, the limit is lower. These include:

• 0.04: Aguascalientes, Chiapas, Distrito Federal, Estado de México, Hidalgo, Jalisco, Michoacán, Tamaulipas, and Veracruz.
  • 0.05: Chihuahua

Is there a process in which the equipment is calibrated? Or does it matter? Your word against theirs? What happens if you say no to the test?

I think this situation opens up a can of worms

Whilst never condoning drunk driving.........HOWEVER, given the experiences many of us have had with being stopped incorrectly for an alleged traffic offence .

What level of confidence should we have for the the equipment and the competence of the people administering the tests.

The observation that the test levels vary from State to State 0.08 or 0.04 and 0.05 is interesting. I wonder if the inspecting officials know that

2 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

I think this situation opens up a can of worms

Whilst never condoning drunk driving.........HOWEVER, given the experiences many of us have had with being stopped incorrectly for an alleged traffic offence .

What level of confidence should we have for the the equipment and the competence of the people administering the tests.

The observation that the test levels vary from State to State 0.08 or 0.04 and 0.05 is interesting. I wonder if the inspecting officials know that

This woman was not "stopped incorrectly for an alleged traffic offense." She was stopped at a DUI checkpoint and flunked the test. She never denied having been drinking. It does not matter what level of confidence we have in the equipment or people administering the tests. They do not need our confidence in order for us to go to jail. Hire a lawyer and fight the arrest if you believe you were unfairly tested and arrested. I doubt you will get anywhere but, hey, lawyers have to eat too. 

Archived