Chapala.com Webboard

Fogon De Charlotte

Tomas

This is an excellent restaurant/// I have heard the complaints about the Libremiento car and truck noise but "No Flies" and good solid food.. The best Chamorra lake side as well as brick oven pizzas plus kick ### Margs..I love this place/ Eat there 1- 2 times per week..Also dogs allowed on the patio on leashes..A go to place that is often over-looked.

I ate at El Fogon de Charlotte a little over a week ago with a group.  Because I eat ver little I ordered one mahi mahi taco without the tortilla (I just wanted the fish.). I said to just put the "ensalada" on the side.  The waitress asked if I wanted la ensalada de col or una ensalada verde.  I asked for la ensalada verde.  When the plate came a beautiful green salad filled half the plate!  It had sliced tomatoes, red onion, green pepper and lots of yummy grape tomatoes, all with a vinegarette dressing.  I thought the waitress had misunderstood me and that I would be paying extra for the salad.  .  My bill was 28 pesos, the cost of one mahi mahi taco.  The mahi mahi was excellent, served with tartar sauce.  This was my first time eating there.  It was good to see Lori, whom I got to know well at Lake Taco.  Even though it is noisy from the traffic on the libramiento I would go back as the food and value were both  excellent.

Fogón de Charlotte, with the accent on the ó. 

It can be translated as “stove“, or even used as “kitchen“.

So, it can be “Charlotte‘s Kitchen“, or “Charlotte‘s Stove.“

Just had lunch there today with friends.  We went inside and had good meals:  two of us had fish tacos, another had a shrimp dish and another had a chicken salad loaded with tender chicken.  We will be back. 

I am not likely to go for the octopus, anywhere, with or without appendages.  It's the visuals.  Used to love "calamari" steaks back in CA.  ;)

21 hours ago, camillenparadise said:

Please, someone review their calamari....does it include the tentacles?

No, but I can review the mahi-mahi and the following week, a rib-eye steak to the tune of 180 mxp. Excessively salted meat means it has been kept in storage in salt brine of some sort - same for the fish.. If they don't do a turnover, it has to be preserved somehow, seems to me refrigeration cooling may not be enough to extend the life.

Mahi-mahi, wonderful presentation, quantity far more than necessary, looking fantastic if not for the brine salted matter that destroyed it.

Owner's explanation for the fish, "Oh, ...when the mahi-mahi swim out into deeper waves,....... they become more salty"!!!!! Yes, really.......spin me another....Bizarre story,

but good try to placate me with that fantasy. I've been having the same mahi-mahi at Lake Taco Palapa some years at lunch time. Smaller portion, a la parilla with piping hot chips and I season it myself. Natural and sweetly fresh as fish should be. Does not come out of salt storage.

As for the chamorro, who could tell how many days it's been simmering? as long as it falls off the bone, it may be great but I am not a fan of pork.

12 hours ago, tzevi said:

No, but I can review the mahi-mahi and the following week, a rib-eye steak to the tune of 180 mxp. Excessively salted meat means it has been kept in storage in salt brine of some sort - same for the fish.. If they don't do a turnover, it has to be preserved somehow, seems to me refrigeration cooling may not be enough to extend the life.

Mahi-mahi, wonderful presentation, quantity far more than necessary, looking fantastic if not for the brine salted matter that destroyed it.

Owner's explanation for the fish, "Oh, ...when the mahi-mahi swim out into deeper waves,....... they become more salty"!!!!! Yes, really.......spin me another....Bizarre story,

but good try to placate me with that fantasy. I've been having the same mahi-mahi at Lake Taco Palapa some years at lunch time. Smaller portion, a la parilla with piping hot chips and I season it myself. Natural and sweetly fresh as fish should be. Does not come out of salt storage.

As for the chamorro, who could tell how many days it's been simmering? as long as it falls off the bone, it may be great but I am not a fan of pork.

It's more likely the salt content in the meat and seafood is because the product they are buying is " pumped" or tumbled. 

Many preportioned proteins have either been injected or vacuum tumbled to add water weight to the item. The solutions usually are salty.  A 10% to 15% water added product adds to the producers profit. A 7 oz steak pumped to 8 oz with water is common. Lots of the cheaper commercial meats, poultry and seafood get water added now. The reason is profit, not preserving. Water is cheap, meat isn't. 

2 hours ago, zerbit said:

It's more likely the salt content in the meat and seafood is because the product they are buying is " pumped" or tumbled. 

Many preportioned proteins have either been injected or vacuum tumbled to add water weight to the item. The solutions usually are salty.  A 10% to 15% water added product adds to the producers profit. A 7 oz steak pumped to 8 oz with water is common. Lots of the cheaper commercial meats, poultry and seafood get water added now. The reason is profit, not preserving. Water is cheap, meat isn't. 

Thank-you for that perfectly accurate explanation. Honesty certainly beats a wildly spun fantasy.

• Tomas changed the title to Fogon De Charlotte

Archived