Chapala.com Webboard

Gluten Free bread

RCman

• 1 month later...

Since we opened the Ajijic centro location of “La Vie en Rose”, we have had quite a lot of requests for Gluten Free and/or Low Carb products. We’ve imported the GF and LC flours recommended by several guests and Chef Frederic is currently testing different recipes. Based on the quality of the results, we hope to have a selection of GF and LC Crepes, Waffles and Baked Goods including Bread, sometimes next month. Thank you.

What's with the "Gluten Free" craze? People seem to be under the impression that it's just innately bad for you. They even put "gluten free" on bottles of water, yoghurt, and shampoo now!

People who are gluten intolerant are called celiacs. It's a pretty rare condition. It's even called Celiac Disease.Their bodies can't process gluten, it destroys the cilia (hence the name) in their stomachs. The cilia absorb the nutrients from the food you eat. So if a celiac eats gluten, their stomach linings look like a linoleum floor, instead of a shag rug. And they won't absorb the nutrients in their food, so an undiagnosed true celiac, eating gluten,  will be really thin and hungry all the time.

Celiacs can't even eat packaged foods which list "spices" on the ingredient list because the spices are mixed with a little bit of wheat to make them distribute evenly, even though that's not mentioned on the ingredient list.

I know all this only because I have a close friend who is a diagnosed celiac. (you can easily be tested for it, chances are results will come back negative)

If people feel better when they don't eat wheat, etc. I'd suggest they are allergic to something else in the wheat, wheat itself, or chemical fertilizers or crop sprays used on the wheat. Or something else besides gluten.

Not insinuating that the OP is not a celiac, he/she very well might be. Just think this gluten free thing in general is pretty silly. For anyone else who agrees, check out J.P. Sears' youtube video "How to Become Gluten Intolerant". It's hilarious.

Thank you, Mudgirl, for the voice of reason. Only about 1% of the population has diagnosed Celiac's disease. The current gluten free craze has been a boon to them as they now have many more options for processed foods than they ever did before.

https://celiac.org/blog/2014/02/9-things-you-should-know-before-going-gluten-free/

Yes, my celiac friend and other celiacs get a laugh out of everyone going "gluten free", but are really pleased with the choices they now have.  When she was first diagnosed (after years of doctors testing her for everything else but that), she had a really hard time. Way more food prep time, nothing she could eat at outdoor festivals, in spite of there being 20 food booths, etc. whenever she went out, she always had to have a stash of something she could eat with her. Not to mention, she was on a career path as a pastry chef!

Archived