Chapala.com Webboard

Proposed bike path extension

On 8/7/2017 at 5:53 PM, luvsdawgs said:

That is true, there was talk some years back that the buildings on the south side would be partially removed. They are on Federal land. I do not know what became of that, I was told at the time there was a model of the plan in the municipal building.  If it were done, there would be plenty of room for cars and bikes and people.

I heard via the grapevine that the property owners on the south side went ballistic against that proposal so it was dropped.

Bicycle riders are in danger everywhere. We are killed riding in bike lanes. We know the danger. Many bike riders do not obey the laws and make it worse for those that do. An elevated bike path traversing Ajijic would not be that complicated, but the up and down ramp would turn into a nightmare as younger riders would use it for their daredevil (and impressive!) endeavors. Don Gus' death has led to huge expansion of bike lanes in Guadalajara. It makes little sense having two "bike lanes to nowhere" which is what we have on either side of the village. Automobile drivers think roads and right of ways were built for their exclusive use. Roads were not originally built for their horseless carriages, but for bicycles and trolleys. The idea of bicycle friendly travel IS meant to encourage people to use a means other than their individual motorcars to get around and ease traffic. I can get on a bike in San Juan Cosala, walk my bike through Ajijic, and continue to Walmart faster than a car can during business hours. That signifies to me that the problem is automobiles. The city needs a plan that only allows those not going to work on the main road every other day. 

1 hour ago, luvsdawgs said:

That is Federal land I was talking about.

Yes but since they had built on it they thought it was now theirs.

41 minutes ago, cedros said:

Yes but since they had built on it they thought it was now theirs.

It is.  You think you saw protests at the airport? Try to reclaim this land and see what you get.

A bike lane connector is NOT needed.

We are talking about a MAJOR construction project effecting the ONLY two lane road thru town.

During the construction phase (and we ALL know how swift that is here), there will be ONE LANE OF TRAFFIC. 

Notice how bad that two lane road is this summer.  Hummmmm, I wonder what the winter would be like?

Look at the number of bikes even using the lane near La Forresta. The proposal is to tear up the road servicing the large number of cars, buses & trucks to accommodate those VERY FEW bikes thru Ajijic.

The north side business will suffer greatly with the elimination of the easy access to them during construction and then losing parking. THERE IS NO WHERE ELSE TO PARK.

Look at the side streets that are already packed - all this for a VERY FEW BIKES.

The money allocated would certainly be better spent to make the sidewalks better!!

2 hours ago, Al Berca said:

All of this just to make Ajijic "pretty" for the Pueblo Magico inspection. 

Gonna take a lot more than that.  Start cleaning up the trash again, fix the potholes and the hazardous sidewalks.

Let's face it they just want that designation so they can have a new way to loot the place.

The real concern and plan should be to widen the road thru Ajijic where a 2 car/truck traffic can pass thru with bikes path and WIDENED pedestrian walks. Anything less is a waste of time and money. All could  happen at the same time. And even that may become obsolete in 5 years or so as a needed additional 2 more lanes are required to get thru the Colon/ Carretera intersection.

Archived