Chapala.com Webboard

Pedestrian hit in front of Superlake

jrod

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The police often, in fact most often, jail the driver of the car that caused the accident, regardless of witness testimony, for at least a few hours while things are straightened out. I direct your attention to the woman two years ago, in her late 70s or early 80s, whose car rolled into a pedestrian from park, in Chapala. And she faced an entire weekend in jail, because they don't work on this kind of thing on the weekend.

I saw the vehicle driver being interviewed sitting on the planted edge but the person that was struck was long gone..what were their injuries, ie..serious or minor...all that was remaining was pozole stuff on the street..Hopefully all turns out well..Too much speculation here...

3 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

I was challenging the statement that there are no pedestrian rights. It is impossible to prove a negative, so I sighted the driver's test where it infers that they may be some. I am not going to comb the driving laws in Spanish. I believe that there may be some. Prove there are none.

I appreciate the advise, folks. I know the customs. 

I am guessing I have this right but in the U.S., Canada and I suppose most English speaking countries, road laws are based on water right of way laws. The smaller craft has the right of way.

In Mexico, it is based on the rich people riding their horses through town and the pedestrians had to get out of the way. 

I've known of several people who were hit and killed by drivers because the pedestrians thought they had the right of way walking with a green light. Legally they were in the right but they are still dead. Drivers do not watch out for pedestrians here like we do up North.

The woman who was injured needs a surgery. Her leg got broken. The man who hit her is from USA, he is using his liability insurance to cover all dammage. We need to be very carefull while driving and/or walking....always and always!

Night night!

Claus G.

In the small town of Catemaco, Veracruz where I first lived for five years, it was posted in the local newspaper in large letters, "Please do not run over pedestrians."   I started to laugh before realizing they were serious.

My girlfriend and I were crossing at that intersection with a green light.  A driver ran thru the red light.  I yelled at him and used a few choice words.  He slammed on his brakes, came back and berated me, for being in Mexico and not speaking the language.

Moral.....Enjoy the weather, spend your money and shut up.

When driving or walking in Mexico just think of yourself as being inside one of those road race video games where all manner of things pop up and the other drivers will do anything at all with no warning. :)

I am told by friends who have traveled in Asia that it is far worse in many places there.

19 hours ago, gringal said:

If you're old, injured or otherwise aren't as fast on your feet as a 16 year old kid, you need to wait ....and wait...until you can make it across the street with room to spare.  I have to admit this was a factor in choosing to live on the lake side of that highway.  Bear in mind that just becuase the light has turned red doesn't mean the cars willl all stop.

And remember, LOOK ALL EIGHT WAYS before proceeding!! Cars drop out of the sky here. :o

11 hours ago, betty7 said:

driver for the soda truck was jailed. his bosses paid off the police to release him. then later they went after the drs. wife & extorted the money. the woman who was jailed? it was in 2010, '11, or '12. she was my neighbor, i happened to call her as she was walking in the door. it was one night not two. amer consulate was mean to her. the jailers were nicer. our other neigbor had to comeup w/$20,000  plus usd cash to pay to have her released. the lawyer cost $2500. usd. the friend she killed? the family did not press charges. she was 78 yrs old. thats the story. dont speculate.

There was no speculation in my post. I made it clear I was guessing at the timeline and results, but the gist of the story is correct. The point wasn't the details: it was that drivers get jailed in accidents. That's why bus and truck drivers all over Mexico run for their lives no matter who is at fault. So I'm glad you could give us "the facts", but there is no need to get judgmental.

Before the traffic got really heavy here, a few short years ago, most motorists would stop in the middle of the highway to let pedestrians across. It was one of the things that impressed me enough about this place to get me to stay here.

19 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Dream on.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=004_1484089424

You get into it with some narco or gang banger and find out the hard way they are packing heat.

If someone doesn't know how to drive with courtesy, you aren't going to teach them.  Just walk away.

You can come up with all the links you want but  ajijicwalker is right. I don't know if she has done it but I speak from experience and my friend who has got an even bigger mouth, I have witnessed in action, and neither of us has been shot and that includes drug selling cholos in the barrio. You obviously have never witnessed the macho hollering of a couple of Mexican cholos and then they usually walkaway from each other. without shooting and mostly not even fisticuffs. the road rage and shooting bulls##t is a fairly recent  NOB anomaly.

2 minutes ago, ned small said:

You can come up with all the links you want but  ajijicwalker is right. I don't know if she has done it but I speak from experience and my friend who has got an even bigger mouth, I have witnessed in action, and neither of us has been shot and that includes drug selling cholos in the barrio. You obviously have never witnessed the macho hollering of a couple of Mexican cholos and then they usually walkaway from each other. without shooting and mostly not even fisticuffs. the road rage and shooting bulls##t is a fairly recent  NOB anomaly.

Wow, Pedro knows how to walk on the wild side. Maybe AH should pal with him. Dynamic Duo.

23 minutes ago, betty7 said:

becareful who you curse at, anywhere. some drunk can take his gun out. 

This is not NOB. Very few people carry firearms here. My neighbours all have guns but they follow the law and keep them in their homes. No point in spreading paranoia  about something that happens in another country.

This is how it happens. At 10:40 am, I was at the traffic lights in front of Fenix at Allen W. Lloyd. A guy started walking across to the mountainside just as the light turned red against him. His :() wife/girlfriend, who was lagging behind, then decided to catch up to him by running across just as the cars were starting to move, several seconds after the red came on. Imagine how pissed off she would have been at the driver who might have hit her. It's ridiculous.

1 hour ago, betty7 said:

ok ned. these gentle drug dealers are respectful while they are in their home country. nothing to see here. we can not demonize all gang bangers, please apologize to them in my behalf. in the name of social justice, call i it a cultural interchange. we understand once they cross into the US, then they get frisky. so, curse & practice your spanish. tell us how that works out for you.

It seems to workout fine for me as I'm here. Not everyone one meets in Mexico is a gangbanger nor drug dealer and not everyone is a crazed snow white NOB either.

43 minutes ago, ericurmudgeon said:

Hey Pappy it ain't only the Mexicans as you should know! ??. 

OK, I agree but usually it's Mexicans involved in the big ones. Old gringos are often involved with accidents while backing up. Why? Because as we age the muscles in our neck become much less flexible and it's much harder to turn one's head sufficiently.

Insurance agent 101: Be careful when writing an auto policy for an older driver. They are involved in a disproportionate number of backing up accidents. However, they are also not involved in nearly as many serious accidents.

BTW how should I know? Never been in an accident yet here in Mexico (knocks on wood).

Well I'm not going to assume the Mexican criminal element obeys the gun laws any more than the NOB one does   Sorry, but that defies logic and common sense. 

There's no shortage of criminals anywhere these days and definitely one of the common denominators of that group is they tend to be dangerous and armed regardless of what some law says. 

Archived