Chapala.com Webboard

Phone Number Portability

dixonge

When I return to Mexico, I plan on getting the Telcel unlimited plan for US/MX/CA - but will i be able to port my existing US-based numbers to the new Telcel SIM cards? Or will I need to start over with new phone numbers?

1 hour ago, dixonge said:

When I return to Mexico, I plan on getting the Telcel unlimited plan for US/MX/CA - but will i be able to port my existing US-based numbers to the new Telcel SIM cards? Or will I need to start over with new phone numbers?

No

Yeah but then the US SIM card would either be roaming in Mexico or would have to be tied to a plan that allows calls to all of N. America. All of those plans I have seen say that at least 50% of all calls must be in/from the US. You can port your number to Ooma, a VOIP service and then download their app to 2 smartphones. You can MAKE calls to the US at no additional charge from your US number. To RECEIVE calls from the US on your smartphone you need to upgrade to their $20/Mo. plan.  All on wifi of course.

hs://www.amazon.com/Ooma-Telo-Free-Phone-Service/dp/B00I4XMEYA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1501710460&sr=8-3&keywords=oomattp

Most phones have a setting that allows you to choose between the SIM card and the phone itself. Some smartphones do both.

And, there should also be a setting to allow you to import your contacts to your SIM, if they are in the phone's memory. Then, assuming that SIM fits in your new phone, voila. You can also get many pieces of software for your computer that will copy your contacts onto the PC or Mac, then back to your new phone.

On 8/2/2017 at 3:36 PM, dixonge said:

AFAIK no carriers support porting cross country borders. If you are referring to contacts saved on SIM then it is generally supported but varies by phone.

To clarify, I was not referring to contacts. Those can be synced over in a multitude of manners.

Evidently phone numbers can not be ported across country borders. This simplifies the decisions. At least this should put an end to the constant telemarketing...

Archived