Chapala.com Webboard

Renting with pets

pablitoh

Not all rentals take dogs, but this is a very doggy community and excluding dogs would make it more difficult to find renters. As long as your dogs are well-behaved and the property has a yard (some places here have nothing but concrete) I think you can negotiate a deal with the landlord. Most landlords will want first and last month's rent plus a damage deposit, and the latter should cover any problems. Note that almost all houses here have tile floors and the landlord can remove rugs (if any) if he is nervous about damage potential.

A friend of mine is in the business of renting homes. And I asked him that question. He said it is definitely harder but not impossible. He said that it was about 50% harder, that some renters never allow dogs and that others do not. So it is definitely more difficult, but still possible, possibly requiring a larger damage deposit.

On 8/2/2017 at 10:57 AM, pablitoh said:

We are Suiss and thinking on come to live to this part of mexico, is it true that renting  a house or apartment is nearly im

posible if you have 2 dogs?

I would be very thankfull to anybody who would give an opinion on this

We are in our third rental house in nearly 19 years. Two Mexican landlords (rented direct) and one as a favor to US friends.  NEVER have had a problem --- up to 6 cats (presently 5) and 4 dogs. I know several people who have rented direct from Mexicans, and every one of them has pets.

Apartment might be another story.

When we first moved here we had a one year lease. Leased through a management company. Nothing was ever mentioned about pets and it was not in the lease. We had 2 small dogs and a cat...just moved in and it was never. Problem or discussed. So many people here have pets. If you are renting an expensively furnished Gringo house it may be more difficult.

It will be more of a  problem with a pet but the bigger problem is finding a rental at all.  There are so many people swarming into Lakeside that there aren't many rentals left for the winter.  The traffic is absolutely horrid for this time of year and will only get worse closer to winter

The more I read on here about the traffic at lakeside the more I know we were lucky to be there from 2001 to 2008 and not there now. The people there are still the best.

It definitely pays to time local excursions here these days for the less busy times.  We are being loved to death by the Tapatios, the traffic problem is not caused by the relatively static number of expats here.  Guadalajara is in grid lock most of the time these days too.  This is what happens when there is very large growth in the number of vehicles being dumped on roads that aren't even as good as they were 5 years ago.

Getting to PV by car isn't easy yet but it certainly was easier to get around in than this area.

Yes, unless there were no traffic lights and no other cars on the road, some would still complain. I scold myself when I begin to complain that it took 20 minutes to get to Costco PV when 15 is normal. When (if) that new road is ever completed I think we may approach conditions in Lakeside. The Tapatios love us to death also.

I believe the greatest contributors to the traffic problem that persists every day of the week is NEW people moving to Lakeside.  Yes, the traffic is worse on the weekends when the Tapatios descend on us.  But when the traffic is backed up from the libramiento east to past the OXXO in SAT mostly all day, every day, it's not just the Tapatios.  Although I would be curious to see how the traffic pattern would be affected by coordination of the stop lights in that area.

Archived