Chapala.com Webboard

Speeding and drunk driving controls

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's only a scam if people were being arrested for any alcohol, not just exceeding the legal limit.  Eyewitness reports seem to suggest the former may have been the case.   Apparently there was no mordida collecting going on.  That certainly is a refreshing change.

But were the cops trying to boost their arrest counts and fine collections by bending the rules?  Those of us from NOB are no strangers to this up there.  Here too now? 

In the absence of confirmation of what alcohol levels actually triggered arrests, zero drinks for the driver seems to be the only prudent alternative.  

I am for any alcohol triggering the arrest.  It is still amazing to me to see drivers with a beer in their hand passing me.  It was smart of the police to do their check point where they did - nobody out that late could miss it - and I think they conducted themselves that night in a manner which announced  "This is the way of the future.  Don't drink and drive."

Geez you should see her 'take aways' on this incident. People are recommending she write an article regarding her shoddy treatment.  Who cares how much she drank and what she blew. You Drink, You Drive, You Suffer the Consequences.  I believe she has been in MX for about 10 years ya think it would have kicked in - Youse ain't in Kansas no more toto!!

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

50 minutes ago, solajijic said:

I am for any alcohol triggering the arrest.  It is still amazing to me to see drivers with a beer in their hand passing me.  It was smart of the police to do their check point where they did - nobody out that late could miss it - and I think they conducted themselves that night in a manner which announced  "This is the way of the future.  Don't drink and drive."

I don't have a problem with that providing that is the law.  That is basically how it works in Germany and some other places in Europe.  However, if the limit is 0,08 and people are arrested for 0.025 with no warning, it would appear to me the rules are not being followed by the police.  Not saying this is the case, just saying we shouldn't assume that all these arrests were on the up and up.  

Abuse of authority by the cops here, and for that matter NOB, is certainly not uncommon.  As RV Gringo pointed out in another thread, the cops here are not your friends and should not be regarded as such.  Minimizing contact with them is always the best course of action.  Our Mexican neighbors know this very well.  Some of us from places where this is not the case have yet to understand that it is here.

If they want to have a clearly announced zero alcohol rule, I would see it as overkill but as long as we all know that is the rule, I have no problem with it.  As for the arrest procedures, that appeared to be SOP here.  Perhaps there needs to be a push for some changes in that.

The guy passing you with beer in hand probably has a six pack sitting in the seat next to him.  If they really want to save lives, that is the kind of DUI they should be focusing on.  Not some old fart who had one drink at a restaurant a few blocks down the road from where he lives.

I remember when living in Puerto Vallarta a few years ago, when they started this crackdown there (interesting - most of the DUI teams are women). One of the local scandal rags was on hand, and whenever the suspected drunk driver started with a furious "Don't you know who I am", they were gleefully photographed and exposed them in the next days rag. I think that was more effective than any fines or jail time.

Yup - have a cocktail before heading out to a restaurant or while waiting, share a nice bottle of wine - you are over. .04%  No reliable taxis after 8:00 pm. This is not just adapting to a new law, but for many, of a certain age, a complete lifestyle change.

In Puerto Vallarta it started an uptick in private chef dinners and small caterers.

From the Facebook discussion, this explains a lot.

we tend to drop that 1st zero, Shelly. The National Limit is .08, but the state just up and set the limit at .025. The man who blew .029 had one glass of wine with dinner. If I had known ahead of time the limit was so absurdly low, I would not have had even one drink.

In effect, then, the rule here is now basically no alcohol at all either before going out to eat or at the restaurant.

I'm glad I wasn't involved in this and appreciate the reports from those that were as now we know the situation.  It is absurdly low and you can't have even one drink if you are driving here now.

58 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

We go out to dinner almost nightly.  We drink wine with dinner almost nightly.  We walk home.  

Another good reason to live in Centro.  

And fortunately, there are a number of restaurants within walking distance, in Centro.  They haven't come up with a "no drinking and walking" law..........yet?

4 hours ago, WideSky said:

Here is the poster that has been issued outlining infractions and penalties. Since narcotics are harder to test for at a checkpoint perhaps they are erring on the side of caution.

20626780_1792539944092926_730638104641029395_o.jpg

Modules of the operation "Save lives"

Reviews will be permanent on weekends. 
Review modules in the ZMG will continue on a regular basis. 
In coordination with the Federal Police, the Single State Force and the Municipal Police, the Salvando Vidas program, operated by personnel of the Police General Police Station, will install, from now on, and permanently, modules of revision in the main access roads Metropolitan Area of Guadalajara.

Said revision modules that will be installed at random on the different state roads (road to Chapala, Tequila, Jocotepec, Saltillo, etc.) will have cranes and wagons for the transfer of drivers that exceed the authorized alcohol rates in the facilities of the Center Urban Road Retention by Alcoholimetry (CURVE), as well as the delivery of the vehicles to the corresponding depots.

The objective of the operation, which will be permanent and will be installed on weekends, is to inhibit the combination of alcohol and flywheel between drivers of motor vehicles, as well as accelerate the installation of mobile radars to influence the reduction of risk factors Which cause road accidents.

The General Police Department of the Highway Police confirmed that in the Guadalajara Metropolitan Area will continue its operations in a normal way as it does to date. 
Author: enrique.plascencia - Secretaría de Mobility

3 hours ago, betty7 said:

i like the no alcohol rule, but the police took advantage. its a brutal culture. there are no rules of engagement. they like to abuse old women. there was no driving infraction, why the jail time drama? i stand by my words, no apology tour. how many drunk mexicans do they put in jail?

I understand they were detaining anyone, gringo or Mexican, they found in violation of the law.  See above:  they have been doing this for several years in Guad. where they detain mostly Mexican nationals.

9 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

I remember when living in Puerto Vallarta a few years ago, when they started this crackdown there (interesting - most of the DUI teams are women). One of the local scandal rags was on hand, and whenever the suspected drunk driver started with a furious "Don't you know who I am", they were gleefully photographed and exposed them in the next days rag. I think that was more effective than any fines or jail time.

Yup - have a cocktail before heading out to a restaurant or while waiting, share a nice bottle of wine - you are over. .04%  No reliable taxis after 8:00 pm. This is not just adapting to a new law, but for many, of a certain age, a complete lifestyle change.

In Puerto Vallarta it started an uptick in private chef dinners and small caterers.

Plenty of very reasonably priced taxis any time of day here in PV.

You only need o.25 to get fined and break the law not o.4 so basically if you have any alcohol you break the law and the police can fine you  or send you to jail. The woman said she had dinner and drinks...that is enough to send you to jail..it is very simple and I am all for that law. People know the police can be rough so do not do anything that gives them an excuse to practice..  and NO MORDIDA.. that is great..

Yes restaurant business will suffer some and that is life , there are plenty of restaurants in Great Britain where this rule was started back in the late 60´s , France , Germany and many other places.. people adjust, get cabs, designated drivers and so on. or stay where they are.

19 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

We go out to dinner almost nightly.  We drink wine with dinner almost nightly.  We walk home.  

Another good reason to live in Centro.  

While that dramatically drops your chances of going to jail, going to the hospital because of tripping, slip and fall or being hit by a drunk driver probably increases, all in proportion to exactly where you live and which restaurants you dine at. More taxi competition, like Uber, and bring back the designated driver.

no Mainecoons I am talking about miligramos same at the poster.  Which new level are you talking about? Each state has their limit so they have a lower limit in Jalisco. and other state.. We did not know that but that does not mean it is new. I did not know about the fine level either but again just because they were not enforcing the laws does not mean the laws are new.. It is not that important because now we know what the rules are  and we can take appropriate precautions and people can be happy they did not get caught. 

Although I do not agree with the tone of the posting this lady´s posting was a gift to the community.

Forget the seniors they have no mercy on anyone. When I went to jail , one of the driver had a fractured back and he had to sleep on the cold cement like everyone else.. no special treatment for him.. he moaned all night., I really felt terrible for him. When in jail your family is supposed to provide for you. the other driver had been brought a foam mattress and blankets by his wife  and was comfortable..

15 minutes ago, betty7 said:

alcohol stays in the body for several hours so i have read. if someone has one drink for lunch, it may show during PM. why even take a chance & drive if you have had alcohol that day. they would arrest you even if its a trace. walk or dine @ home. as a person who walks, i feel safer since there are stricter rules. it is disgusting the way the police treat older people. jail for no infractions & small trace of a drink is abusive. i dont understand why seniors even drive here @ all.

I think it's important for people to research their "facts"  There are some people I know who were stopped, blew .02 (one beer) and were left to go on their way. So "a small trace of a drink" does not seem to prompt a fine or a detention from what I can tell. Do you have evidence of someone blowing .02 who was "abused?" 

Archived