Chapala.com Webboard

Alternative transport for Lakeside

I have just returned from Ixlahuacan del los Membrillos where they are setting up for this week end Quince Festival. BIG BIG woofers being installed!!!! Festival runs through till Sunday

Firstly what jumped up to me was the cleanness of the place, but I guess given Lakeside issue with trash any place would seem to be an improvement. Also flat side walks and pavements , and no pot holes!!!

Lots of stalls selling the Quince as a jelly/jam and preserves etc.

Secondly, was the Tuk's Tuk's Taxi's that are running around. Seems the fare is 10 pesos per person around town. What a great idea for Lakeside to bring some competition to the local overpriced Taxi's we have to put up with. If we can not have Urber lets have Tuk Tuk's

Are they the same or similar to the pulmnarias in Mazatlan (sort of a glorified golf cart) which we have used?  Not sure if they'd work on the carretera here.  Seems most taxis take people from Ajijic to Walmart or Chapala or farther afield, involving the carretera and/or libramento.  Not many people in Ajijic need a lift from point A to point B within Ajijic, IMO.  But maybe within Chapala (not as familiar with).

I think there is significant "local" around town business,

Also they  are OK for inter town Ajijic/Chapala runs , but not as you mentioned "long" haul .....Albeit you do see them near the airport when they "have strayed from Tlajomululo , where there are 100's working around the new town and IMSS hospital 180

Maybe this is an opportunity to set up a local guy , for a relatively  low cost  ....Any outreach programs looking for "teach a man / women to  fish"  projects

they have some great ones in Tehuantepec with large  and proud Tehuanas standing in them...They are moto pickup types.. they also have the covered ones but I like the pickup types with the ladies with their long lowing skirts ridding in them..

Taxi drivers here, will not permit uber, tuk´s tuk´s or any other kind of different transport. They are a powerful organization!!!

The threat of Uber coming into Puerto Vallarta, and they may well be here now, not sure, was a huge influence on a major upgrading of our taxi fleet here. Time for those old timers at Lakeside to feel the footsteps of someone coming in to force an upgrade in vehicles, availability, fares and the bankers hours they like to work. They may be powerful but the bigger they are the harder they fall. The taxi service there compared to anywhere else we have been in Mexico is pathetic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWMnzVRFXDQ

14 minutes ago, Willie said:

The pulmonias in Mazatlan are not modified golf carts!!   The sindicato would have a fit to hear that...Jijiji.

They are modified Volkswagen "things"

And very cool to ride in.

239726_zoom.jpg

Many places have share ride taxis or vans, it is interesting as there is nothing in the lake Chapala area... The taxis in Chiapas are a hell lot more powerful thn the ones in Ajijic and they still have  competition so I cannot imagine that the cabs in Ajijic are that powerful. What are they going to do   block access to the plaza? 

While I applaud idea of using the tuk-tuks one thing to keep in mind is that the roads in Ixtlahuacan are much better than the roads in Ajijic. No cobble stones and in much better shape.

Uber is operating at Lakeside now, check the app. Used it Wednesday for trips to and from the Galerias in Zapopan. Showed up within minutes, good & personable drivers, clean cars, and much less expensive than taxis. I definitely will use them again. 

Archived