Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

New RV Park in Ajijic?


Recommended Posts

In another post someone mentioned a new RV park has opened in Ajijic. Does anyone have a park name? Any contact info?

Currently we plan to visit lakeside for 4 months this Winter in a 40' motorhome, expecting to stay at Roca Azul. If there are alternatives in Ajijic would like to know. Looks like Ajijic would be more central while we figure out if moving there would work for us.

Thanks

mike and molly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't know anything about it but I saw one across from El Parque in San Antonio.  Full hook ups but nothing else.  1 or 2 RVs in the fenced in lot.  This is what I found about it...contact Enrique at Poutine Place (across from Super Lake) or miraval.52@gmail.com

 

It is in a very good location to shops, restaurants, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With a motorhome that size, you are going to have hard time getting 50 amp, or even 30 amp electrical service - anywhere in Mexico.  Especially if you want to run the air conditioner(s). Generators are an expensive and noisy option. Are you from the U.S.A.? If so, you might be better finding a full size RV park near the border on the U.S. side, then fly/drive in for short visits.

You know I have never found a reference for this, maybe we should put Tony Burton on it. But I "heard" there was a plan in the 1970's to make Lake Chapala an RV Mecca. It did not pass the cost/benefit analysis I was told. This is about the time when the Mexican government was trying all sorts of experiments to build tourism infrastructure, for example allowing foreigners to own and build motel type spots in Guayabitas, and a couple other beach towns.

A friend of Ms. Chillin was telling us she was in Ajijic when a large motorhome came down the hill from Donas Doughnuts. There is a notorious bottoming out spot, just as you pull out from the light, onto the carretera. Well the motorhome bottomed out all right, taking their "black water" sewage tank with it. Big, stinky mess, and likely an expensive repair!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can visualize where you are talking about across from El Parque. I cannot imagine a 40' Moho being able to turn that corner, but maybe that's just my old feeble brain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Definitely agree there's nothing really good in or around Ajijic for a rig that big.  When you come, stay on the macrolibremiento until you get to Lopez Mateos.  That stretch between Chapala highway and Lopez Mateos will be opening very soon, they say October.  The exit will likely be signed for Colima.  Go a very short distance, staying in the right lane and exit onto the road towards Jocotepec.  You go past the main entrance to the town and just a little bit further is the right turn for Roca Azul.  That is a really nice RV park that can easily accommodate your big rig.  Make sure you have full power protection as electricity in that area can be dicey.

There's one part of this trip that will be more difficult and that is the primitive bypass around Lagos de Moreno.  Notice what the double trailer trucks do and do the same.  You may want to drop the toad for that bit and have your wife follow you through it.  Huge Pemex at the end of it will be easy to rehook if you do this.

Frankly, if you haven't had a lot of experience driving that big rig in Mexico I'd seriously consider whether this trip is a good idea.  The fuel and tolls are going to be astronomical.  You might be much better off driving the toad down and leaving the big rig in McAllen/Pharr.  If you decide to do that, PM me as I know a perfect secure place to leave it, Dixie RV Storage in La Feria.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Definitely agree there's nothing really good in or around Ajijic for a rig that big.  When you come, stay on the macrolibremiento until you get to Lopez Mateos.  That stretch between Chapala highway and Lopez Mateos will be opening very soon, they say October.  The exit will likely be signed for Colima.  Go a very short distance, staying in the right lane and exit onto the road towards Jocotepec.  You go past the main entrance to the town and just a little bit further is the right turn for Roca Azul.  That is a really nice RV park that can easily accommodate your big rig.  Make sure you have full power protection as electricity in that area can be dicey.

There's one part of this trip that will be more difficult and that is the primitive bypass around Lagos de Moreno.  Notice what the double trailer trucks do and do the same.  You may want to drop the toad for that bit and have your wife follow you through it.  Huge Pemex at the end of it will be easy to rehook if you do this.

Frankly, if you haven't had a lot of experience driving that big rig in Mexico I'd seriously consider whether this trip is a good idea.  The fuel and tolls are going to be astronomical.  You might be much better off driving the toad down and leaving the big rig in McAllen/Pharr.  If you decide to do that, PM me as I know a perfect secure place to leave it, Dixie RV Storage in La Feria.

 

The new RV park across from El Parque can accommodate 40' rigs, there was one hooked up in there last Mar Apr any May. And and a smaller one looked like about 36'   The place was still under construction last April.. Talking with the owner of the 40' rig he told me they have full hook ups and the fees are very reasonable because of the place being under construction. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

The new RV park across from El Parque can accommodate 40' rigs, there was one hooked up in there last Mar Apr any May. And and a smaller one looked like about 36'   The place was still under construction last April.. Talking with the owner of the 40' rig he told me they have full hook ups and the fees are very reasonable because of the place being under construction. 

Excellent info. I didn't think a 40' could make the turn but obviously I was wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Definitely agree there's nothing really good in or around Ajijic for a rig that big.  When you come, stay on the macrolibremiento until you get to Lopez Mateos.  That stretch between Chapala highway and Lopez Mateos will be opening very soon, they say October.  The exit will likely be signed for Colima.  Go a very short distance, staying in the right lane and exit onto the road towards Jocotepec.  You go past the main entrance to the town and just a little bit further is the right turn for Roca Azul.  That is a really nice RV park that can easily accommodate your big rig.  Make sure you have full power protection as electricity in that area can be dicey.

There's one part of this trip that will be more difficult and that is the primitive bypass around Lagos de Moreno.  Notice what the double trailer trucks do and do the same.  You may want to drop the toad for that bit and have your wife follow you through it.  Huge Pemex at the end of it will be easy to rehook if you do this.

Frankly, if you haven't had a lot of experience driving that big rig in Mexico I'd seriously consider whether this trip is a good idea.  The fuel and tolls are going to be astronomical.  You might be much better off driving the toad down and leaving the big rig in McAllen/Pharr.  If you decide to do that, PM me as I know a perfect secure place to leave it, Dixie RV Storage in La Feria.

 

I'm a little (a lot?) confused. On google earth it looks like the macrolibramiento currently deadends at 23 (chapala hwy?), with only option to head several miles toward Guadalajara until you get to a flyover where you can head back to Chapala. Is this planned to change in October? Where is Lopez Mateos?

we have a power monitor that blocks over or under voltage but will have to get and install the Mexican version that converts under or over voltage to correct voltage.

Our coach is older, has a 38 degree wheel cut, takes a lot of room to make a turn. Will probably stick with Roca Azul at first, take a look at other options after we get there, see if we can fit.

Will need one 100 gal fillup in Mexico, coach has a large (200 gal) tank. Toll fees are an unknown. If based on axles, have two on coach so guess fees would be about the same as two cars for our coach and toad. Will we be surprised?

Thanks

mike and molly

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 4:18 PM, Mainecoons said:

Definitely agree there's nothing really good in or around Ajijic for a rig that big.  When you come, stay on the macrolibremiento until you get to Lopez Mateos.  That stretch between Chapala highway and Lopez Mateos will be opening very soon, they say October.  The exit will likely be signed for Colima.  Go a very short distance, staying in the right lane and exit onto the road towards Jocotepec.  You go past the main entrance to the town and just a little bit further is the right turn for Roca Azul.  That is a really nice RV park that can easily accommodate your big rig.  Make sure you have full power protection as electricity in that area can be dicey.

There's one part of this trip that will be more difficult and that is the primitive bypass around Lagos de Moreno.  Notice what the double trailer trucks do and do the same.  You may want to drop the toad for that bit and have your wife follow you through it.  Huge Pemex at the end of it will be easy to rehook if you do this.

Frankly, if you haven't had a lot of experience driving that big rig in Mexico I'd seriously consider whether this trip is a good idea.  The fuel and tolls are going to be astronomical.  You might be much better off driving the toad down and leaving the big rig in McAllen/Pharr.  If you decide to do that, PM me as I know a perfect secure place to leave it, Dixie RV Storage in La Feria.

 

The LEFT turn to Roca Azul not the right turn.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 10:23 AM, Morninghill said:

I'm a little (a lot?) confused. On google earth it looks like the macrolibramiento currently deadends at 23 (chapala hwy?), with only option to head several miles toward Guadalajara until you get to a flyover where you can head back to Chapala. Is this planned to change in October? Where is Lopez Mateos?

we have a power monitor that blocks over or under voltage but will have to get and install the Mexican version that converts under or over voltage to correct voltage.

Our coach is older, has a 38 degree wheel cut, takes a lot of room to make a turn. Will probably stick with Roca Azul at first, take a look at other options after we get there, see if we can fit.

Will need one 100 gal fillup in Mexico, coach has a large (200 gal) tank. Toll fees are an unknown. If based on axles, have two on coach so guess fees would be about the same as two cars for our coach and toad. Will we be surprised?

Thanks

mike and molly

 

A correction. You get off the Macrolibremiento at Lopez Mateo-don't go towards  Chapala at all to go to Roca Azul. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
On 7/29/2017 at 10:23 AM, Morninghill said:

I'm a little (a lot?) confused. On google earth it looks like the macrolibramiento currently deadends at 23 (chapala hwy?), with only option to head several miles toward Guadalajara until you get to a flyover where you can head back to Chapala. Is this planned to change in October? Where is Lopez Mateos?

we have a power monitor that blocks over or under voltage but will have to get and install the Mexican version that converts under or over voltage to correct voltage.

Our coach is older, has a 38 degree wheel cut, takes a lot of room to make a turn. Will probably stick with Roca Azul at first, take a look at other options after we get there, see if we can fit.

Will need one 100 gal fillup in Mexico, coach has a large (200 gal) tank. Toll fees are an unknown. If based on axles, have two on coach so guess fees would be about the same as two cars for our coach and toad. Will we be surprised?

Thanks

mike and molly

 

As far as tolls.  In our Honda Fit we always allowed $60 US , then got a truck, allowed $100.  I personally would have $200 for a motor home.  But I could be wrong.  We have a 40 foot 5th wheel in the states.  We have thought of bringing down from time to time but with these roads it would be disastrous to make a wrong turn so you really need to know where you are going. Weve lived here 7 years and for 4 of them went back and forth every 4 months to care for parents and with all that experience still made wrong turns.  Have you ever been to this area?  This is not to discourage you as Ive seen really big motor homes here, but it might be worth your while to drive down in a car, stay in a rental and look the place over first.  Or find someone who has actually driven here with one.  But good luck and enjoy when you are here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gustavo frances said:

Tengo un pequeño lugar privado con 7 espacios para vehículos recreativos y alquiler de lote de almacenamiento en ajijic rancho del oro. Mi e-mail es gustavofrances@hotmail.com

"I have a small, private space spot with seven spaces for RV's  and (rental lot storage???) in Ajijic in Rancho del Oro. My e-mail is gustavofrances@hotmail.com"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

That website's prices are way out of date and not all toll booths  are included. Doesn't even show the  Macrolibramiento  

yes, pretty much all it is good for is to get a relative (low) idea of what tolls will be on any particular route. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, RickS said:

yes, pretty much all it is good for is to get a relative (low) idea of what tolls will be on any particular route. 

 

11 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

If you have PASE on the app you get up to date routes and toll costs

CORRECT.....       The web page I posted above shows tolls from Jocotepec to Manzanillo is 458.  My Tu Pase App shows its 750.58.  BIG difference.

If anyone actually makes the trip in the near future, perhaps they can post the actual amount.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

PASE is the new toll tag that now works with all the toll roads & bridges in Mexico. The old IAVE did not cover all. Along with the tag there is an app Tu PASE. 

 Oatsie I think the toll costs are updated automatically. Only error on routing for some reason Los Sabinos doesn't list but the pass works.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

PASE is the new toll tag that now works with all the toll roads & bridges in Mexico. The old IAVE did not cover all. Along with the tag there is an app Tu PASE. 

 Oatsie I think the toll costs are updated automatically. Only error on routing for some reason Los Sabinos doesn't list but the pass works.

 

I'm interested in this and wonder what happens when the battery in the tag runs down.  Do you lose the money you have on deposit?  I understand the tags last about 2 years.

Thanks.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...