Chapala.com Webboard

Telling Time in Mexico

Funny talking about "in a short time" he never mentions: "al rato" or "un rato".  It is the same as what he is talking about. Possibly means even less time than "ahorita". Maybe he is not that familiar with Spanish expressions?

In my limited experience, I thought it was right on the money. I use Ahorita with a shake of the head quite often to fend off parking-lot carwash guys, for example, meaning the "No, thanks/not right now" take. But most times ahorita around here, anyway, means "right now/soon/on the way", not days off. It also covers a lot of unnecessary talking on the phone about "what I may have to do on the way to your place that will keep me delayed for hours"...

Un rato/ratitio is like "a little bit" or "a little while" when I use it. I'm guessing it just never came up in that story.

Living in NM for 4 years, you get used to "Navajo time".  If someone says "i'll see you around 2, you ask "regular time or Navajo time?"  Navajo time means sometime between noon and dark.

"Manana" doesn't mean tomorrow it means "not today but eventually".  I find it is about the same in Spanish... 

Archived