Chapala.com Webboard

Burglaries

I agree 100%.  It's almost always small stuff.  In fact if someone comes to your house and takes something with him/her they are more than likely to believe they are just borrowing it.  If you mention it's missing and that you need it .. casually, chances are they'll return it.  And don't ever think the females here are any less deviant.   All anyone of them, male or female, with an itch of guilt has to do is go to church and confess.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

You have to wonder about some of these newbies that are arriving here now...

They have been coming for many years. It is just that now they are in the majority of those coming.  They think they are coming to "paradise" ! :D

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 4:36 PM, pappysmarket said:

The risks of all different kinds of bad things happening NOB are even much greater, IMHO, so protecting our home here the best I can is a task I gladly accept.

Actually, in my experiences, it is quite the opposite of that. We have never lived in any areas that we have felt the need to invest in anything except a strandard front and back door lock, which we seldom use, to this day. But, here is a Much different story. 

Neighbor 2 doors down, who are snowbirds of long standing, were burgled during daylight hours while they were at lunch last Sunday. They told me they've decided to sell since prices are astronomical now. Very next door have sold their house, after 16 years, and I am packed and leave on Sunday for a different part of Mexico. I call it the "make way for newbies wave". You guys have fun now.

2 minutes ago, Justathought said:

every expat in Lakeside was a newbie at one time.  

Some come with common sense. Less nowadays.

:D Kinda like 50% of the people NOB.

1 hour ago, michael2595 said:

As far as laptops, they are replaceable if stolen. We save everything to the cloud and have keychain USB devices.

I'm kinda in the biz of flipping computers.  Any thief who is attracted to a laptop nowadays would have to be a stoop.  Nobody wants them.  Check Segundamano (the Craigslist of MX).  Wall to wall laptops nobody wants.  Not to say they aren't very nickable.  Cars and motorcycles are still king.  I read about 65 cars a day are stolen in GDL, that was 20 years ago.

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 7:06 PM, Sheldon said:

Mexicans live like that...is the only way for them. police does not care about complaints.

Any Mexicans that you know that do not live like that are too poor to afford those precautions. This is "their" country; it amazes me that newcomers would think they know more about need for safety precautions here than the Mexicans who have equal or greater wealth that you do. One would think that  if one feels much safer here than NOB, they would certainly have knowledge of vast security experience from that terrible place NOB and no need to ask as they had to have it all there.

Just ask a Mexican that now lives NOB  where he feels more safe.  They know the difference. They are very observant on this issue.  :D

Just sayin'.

That's good. 

The walls around homes should tell you something.  In a Mexican family the young ones learn early that beyond those walls lay the land of precaution.  The home is a fortress or a matrix that protects their family's existence.   The razor wire, the barking dogs, are but confection sugar that sweetens their confidence just a tinge more.  And when the daughter leaves the home the classic sermon from dad is:  "Keep your knees together and your eyes to the ground."  (I love that)

2 hours ago, Travis said:

Burglary is a fact of life everywhere. It happened to me in the US, but so far hasn't in Mexico (10 years). I don't keep dick worth anything in the house. It's an easy form of security.

Some places it happens a lot more than in other places. But, some places it never happens, and to some people it never happens. It is NOT a fact of life everywhere. No justification for that statement. Does not justify just "blowing off" peoples concerns. It never happened to me NOB (70+ years). You just picked a bad place to live, I didn't. It happened to me in Chapala.

As regards property crime in the U.S. we have this:

https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/fbi-releases-2016-crime-statistics

As regards same in Mexico who knows since 90%+ of crime goes unreported here.  Anyone who moves or lives here who doesn't understand you are in charge of your own property and personal security is clearly not paying attention.

Most homes here are constructed with that in mind.  Living behind walls is hardly unique to Mexico, you find it all over Latin America and much of the rest of the world.  The relative openness of U.S. homes and neighborhoods is what is unusual.

Hud , it never happened to meNOB in 30 years and has not happened in Mexico in 17 years and yes I agree with Travis , it can happen anywhere, some people are luckuer than others,

When I moved to the US from France, I hated the open yards with no walls and no fence, all my family members had houses with tall walls and I loved it, actually I still love the walls and do not care for open properties.. it just depends what you are used to but give the walls and bars any day.

3 hours ago, bmh said:

Hud , it never happened to meNOB in 30 years and has not happened in Mexico in 17 years and yes I agree with Travis , it can happen anywhere, some people are luckuer than others,

When I moved to the US from France, I hated the open yards with no walls and no fence, all my family members had houses with tall walls and I loved it, actually I still love the walls and do not care for open properties.. it just depends what you are used to but give the walls and bars any day.

But, bmh, the President of Mexico tells the World that Mexicans do not build Walls ! :D

BTW, NOB I have never had a fence around my properties, let alone any type of wall. Just neighbors who look out for each other, and never any who were like the 3 monkeys. Still do not agree that it can happen anywhere, as there is no proof that it does happen in some places. Gotta happen before you can say that.

23 hours ago, Hud said:

But, bmh, the President of Mexico tells the World that Mexicans do not build Walls ! :D

BTW, NOB I have never had a fence around my properties, let alone any type of wall. Just neighbors who look out for each other, and never any who were like the 3 monkeys. Still do not agree that it can happen anywhere, as there is no proof that it does happen in some places. Gotta happen before you can say that.

Hud;

I was starting to provide a well thought out answer to you about human/animal behavior and stealing. But, then I thought I might look at your post history and discovered you seem to have a negative troll like answer to just about everything. At this point I feel logic would fall on deaf ears.  People might think your posts have to do with the areas you list you have lived: Oklahoma and Texas as both are known to produce more than it's share of narrow/negative minded people. But I was born and raised in Oklahoma and moved here after 20 years in Texas so I know the states can also produce those with positive attitudes. And for the record, every town I lived in in OK and in TX had more than it's share of thieves. The only explanation for you not having any problem because you "didn''t pick a bad place to live" was that you lived in the Eastern Oklahoma hills as a hermit. Or that you were that one crazy angry man in town whom no one talked to or got near.  Thieves and bitter people are a fact of life - everywhere. 

Archived