Chapala.com Webboard

Motorhome to Roca Azul

We would like to drive our 40' motorhome to Lake Chapala/Roca Azul this November. Would like to spend the Winter to see if relocating to the area would work for us. We are a retired couple, traveling with two dogs.

Have found driving directions before on the forum but primarily referring to travel by car. Would like to drive from Texas, probably Laredo, and have an overnight about midway.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike and Molly

Many Mexican hotels or motels will let an RV park in their lot for a small charge.  If they have a restaurant, and you stop for a nice dinner, there may even be no charge at all, if you ask. Many have a guard at night.

I suggest that you use the toll roads for the entire trip to Guadalajara, then on to Roca Azul from there.  Stay in the right lane, as is required for trucks, etc., and note that the lanes are narrower than in the USA.  The greatest danger in Mexico is dropping a wheel off the pavement, as there is often no shoulder and loss of control is almost guaranteed; some of those drops are severe, so be careful.  Turning off onto an unknown road may put you in danger of low branches or other overhead obstructions, as well as suddenly finding that you may have to back out. 

Will you have a toad?  Roca Azul is too far out of Jocotopec to walk, especially with a load of groceries.

As you plan your trip, you may find it useful to view various intersections, etc., using Google Street View, for clues to visual landmarks, clearances, signs, etc.

Enjoy.....

Yes, it is open and real easy to spot/take.

Speaking of your Toad.... a person coming into Mexico can only temporarily import one vehicle. Hope one or the other vehicles has two names on the title so you can get them both into Mexico.

Would suggest that you actually cross into Mexico at the Colombia crossing just west of Laredo as getting a 40' MH to the Immigration place in Nuevo Laredo proper could be a nightmare. Plus it will be much quicker.... the actual crossing.... out at that spot.

My understanding is that your RV is seperate from any other vehicle, I believe you get a 10 year TIP for an RV. 

I have friends that came in with a motor home towing a small SUV they never had any issues with getting TIPS's for both vehicles, but then we never went into great detail about the ownership of the vehicles. 

I recommend crossing at Columbia crossing because of the wide roads, very easy for a 40MH. But remember they don't open until 8am and close at midnight.

There is a Loves travel stop, now I'm guessing at the distance on I-35 about 30miles north of the 225 which is the turn off to Colombia .. You could stop the night there and be at the Colombia crossing for 8am, it's been a few years since I've done it but I think it's about an hour from the travel stop to the Colombia crossing.

If you cross at 8am you have a fairly easy drive in day light to Matehuala, and then another easy drive the following day to Lakeside.

Do you know there is a new RV park just opened in Ajijic.. Don't know the contact info but I'm sure someone on this board does.

Safe travels and congratulations. We have been living at Roca Azul for 5 years now.

One more suggestion is that you do NOT follow your GPS when you arrive in Jocotepec because it, and Google, may recommend that you come through the town and take Matamoros to the park.  The town has narrow roads and hard turns and a few topes and Matamoros is a dirt road with two creeks that you may get hung up on. It also has many low branches that can damage your roof and AC. We've seen it happen. You should take the Libramento (Rte 23) around the town and come back into Jocotepec on Guadalajara/Morelia (Rte 15). Follow this until you see the sign to Roca Azul on your right, and a little further up, take a left on Av Carpa and then follow to the end.

Call the park ahead of time. They sometimes offer special rates if you stay more than a month. Speak to Teo. Tell him I sent you!!  :D

15 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

My understanding is that your RV is separate from any other vehicle, I believe you get a 10 year TIP for an RV. 

I have friends that came in with a motor home towing a small SUV they never had any issues with getting TIPS's for both vehicles, but then we never went into great detail about the ownership of the vehicles. 

Actually, by law, a MH (motorized RV) that is towing another vehicle can only apply for the 180 day maximum TIP.  Now, one could uncouple the towed vehicle and then both be DRIVEN across the border to then obtain their separate TIPs. In that case the MH could apply for the 10-year permit and the towed vehicle the 180 max TIP. But there again, only one vehicle per person so if the spouse's name is not on the title/registration so that he/she could import the 2nd vehicle it would be a no-go.

P.S.  The maximum weight that can obtain a TIP is 3.8 tons. If the MH is more than that, the owner 'could' contact Aduana to get an override but I think that a physical inspection must be done (meaning at the border) to determine if the vehicle is in good working condition and meets all the general requirements for temporary importation.

Will definitely look for the bypass around Jocotepec. 

Will Teo know who thesarge7 is? Will ask him if any specials, will probably stay 4 months this trip.

Will post separately for the new rv park in Ajijic - had heard elsewhere of a planned 4 space park for long term rv's.

Thanks for the Loves suggestion. We usually fill up there. We planned to cross one day for paperwork, go back the next morning for actual crossing. Will this work?

Will check with Las Palmas in Matehuala, stay if possible. If not, safe Pemex for overnight nearby?

thanks

mike and molly

I wouldn't say you need to cross one day for the paper work and go back the next if you cross at Colombia,  Having crossed there many times it usually takes about 20 mins for a car and 2 people,  a MH and car may take longer, but crossing at 8am will give you lots of time to reach Matehuala before dusk.

Archived