Chapala.com Webboard

If you were to move what city in Mexico would you go to?

4 hours ago, More Liana said:

I lived in beautiful Morelia for years and love the city and its incredible and year-round array of cultural events.  I live in Mexico City now,  miss living in Morelia and often consider going back.

We were in Morelia for only two weeks, but it was spellbinding. More Liana is right, it is not so much the overwhelming quantity of cultural events, but they were also so inexpensive to attend. This is the Casa de Cultura system in Mexico, where international and Mexican artists, musicians and actors are encouraged to spread knowledge and understanding. If you have time, look up the Casa de Cultura page for Morelia. They are also friendly and forgiving  to obvious tourists. You are free to wander around. Once I wandered into an ancient hacienda, central square, which turned out to be a famous music school. Beautiful gardens, with the voices of a children's choir going through their paces. Truly memorable. Tell me any where in Canada or the U.S.A. where you could do the same

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, More Liana said:

The Morelia airport is about an hour from the city--only a little farther away than the GDL airport is from Ajijic.

I lived in beautiful Morelia for years and love the city and its incredible and year-round array of cultural events.  I live in Mexico City now,  miss living in Morelia and often consider going back.

So what keeps you in the land of smoggy air?

11 hours ago, More Liana said:

The Morelia airport is about an hour from the city--only a little farther away than the GDL airport is from Ajijic.

Tell us if you lived in the Centro or outside that area, and how difficult it was to locate what you found. TIA.

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 5:57 PM, bmh said:

Just curious what part of Morelia do you like?

Didn't you check out the Veracruz area and some of those places nearer to Gulf side before settling at Lakeside? If so, share with us what you found and your impressions. TIA.

5 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

So what keeps you in the land of smoggy air?

First things first: air quality.   There are actually very few days when Mexico City's air is bad, and most of those days are in the winter, when thermal inversions do prevent particulate contamination from dissipating.  I think in 2016 we had a couple of days in mid-summer when the air quality was difficult, and there were another few days during the winter.  Otherwise, the air quality here is generally ranked 'acceptable' for particulate matter.   The World Health Organization list of worst cities for air pollution in Latin America is topped by Lima, La Paz, Santiago, Caracas, and Bogotá, followed in sixth place by Mexico City--despite Mexico City's size, which is much larger and more concentrated than any of the other cities.    So 'the land of smoggy air' is pretty generally a misnomer these days.  

And what keeps me here?  My work, which is centered here.  My community of socio-economic peers: friends who are well-educated, well-read, like-minded, and well-traveled Mexicans.  The beautiful and central area of Mexico City where I live.  Ease of national and international travel, both by bus and by air.  Uber, for ease of travel within the city.  Ease of shopping for as many nationalities and regions of food items as one might want.  

CHILLIN: the Casa de la Cultura is the most minimum tip of the cultural iceberg in Morelia.  Morelia sponsors a two-week international music festival each year, an international classical dance festival, Mexico's best international film festival, an international organ festival, a jazz festival, an international cello festival, has active theater productions, a symphony orchestra, a chamber orchestra, and many other cultural possibilities--in addition to the Michoacán-based festivals of local and indigenous arts that regularly take place at the Casa de la Cultura.  In Morelia, 'culture' is local, national, and international.  The largest industry in the city is education, employing hundreds of professors from numerous countries world-wide in its several colleges and universities.  When I think of the "ex-pat" community in Morelia, it isn't the English speaking community that first comes to mind.  Ex-pats from Eastern and Western Europe, from all over Latin America, and from Asia live and teach in Morelia.  

14 minutes ago, Hud said:

Tell us if you lived in the Centro or outside that area, and how difficult it was to locate what you found. TIA.

I lived in Colonia Bosque de Camelinas, on the south side of the city approximately 10 minutes from the Centro Histórico--depending on traffic, of course.  The neighborhood is about four blocks east of the intersection of Av. Ventura Puentes and Av. Camelinas.  My house there was gorgeous, well-maintained by the owner, as well as inexpensive given its size (about 350m2) and architect design.

It's very easy to find excellent housing in Morelia.  My house there was maybe the third house I looked at.

I liked everything about the Morelia I frequented--except the traffic, which can be a real bear.  There are lovely areas of Morelia in nearly every part of the city.

13 minutes ago, Hud said:

Didn't you check out the Veracruz area and some of those places nearer to Gulf side before settling at Lakeside? If so, share with us what you found and your impressions. TIA.

Me?  Veracruz is a huge state with many different sorts of places to live in, from the highest mountain in Mexico to the beach, from tiny rural towns to the Puerto de Veracruz, from coffee plantations to the state capital, Xalapa.  I was never interested in living in the state, but I surely enjoy visiting any and all of those regions. 

2 minutes ago, More Liana said:

Me?  Veracruz is a huge state with many different sorts of places to live in, from the highest mountain in Mexico to the beach, from tiny rural towns to the Puerto de Veracruz, from coffee plantations to the state capital, Xalapa.  I was never interested in living in the state, but I surely enjoy visiting any and all of those regions. 

Thanks for that. Actually, I was looking for bmh to reply, but you did good, too. :D

On 7/27/2017 at 11:40 AM, Bisbee Gal said:

Because weather and access to a decent airport are important to us, we'll stick with Ajijic and continue to visit other Mexican cities which we love for a whole host of other reasons.  Driving to Morelia, Patzcuaro, SMA, most beaches, etc. is a breeze.  Flying to San Cristobal, Puebla, Oaxaca, CDMX, Cuernavaca, etc. is equally easy and inexpensive.  

We did take a  long hard look at SMA in 2007 but selected Ajijic for our home in 2008-2012.  In the past year we again considered SMA.  I am a walking fanatic, but I am also 10 years older and found the hills and lack of wide sidewalks in SMA Centro too risky for the long-term.  And  mi esposa doesn't like the SMA winters at all. 

Same story here. We have been visiting SMA for over ten years, and we were ready to sign a contract on a gorgeous house in SMA centro, but at the last moment we had second thoughts and chose Ajijic (well, San Antonio, to be precise).

With each visit to SMA we noticed the crowds becoming larger and larger, to the point of gridlock through much of the city. The sidewalks, while in better shape  than Lakeside, are steeper.  Other considerations we had was the urban sprawl of the city, and the future water supply.  Access to an international airport.  The perceived lack of a sense of community, ie, knowing one's neighbor.  The winters--I was there in December, January, and February this past year, viewing homes for purchase. During all three months the weather was cold, really cold, while Lakeside was "just chilly".

I calculated the real estate in SMA to be appx. $200K USD more than a comparable house in Ajijic. For that amount I estimated I could make a lifetime of trips to visit SMA as a tourist.

Of all places in Mexico I love Mexico City the most, especially Coyoacan and Polanco (!) But the prices were beyond our budget, especially as we wanted a garden.  So, we will just continue to visit the City whenever we need a jolt of culture.

3 minutes ago, kimanjome said:

Same story here. We have been visiting SMA for over ten years, and we were ready to sign a contract on a gorgeous house in SMA centro, but at the last moment we had second thoughts and chose Ajijic (well, San Antonio, to be precise).

With each visit to SMA we noticed the crowds becoming larger and larger, to the point of gridlock through much of the city. The sidewalks, while in better shape  than Lakeside, are steeper.  Other considerations we had was the urban sprawl of the city, and the future water supply.  Access to an international airport.  The perceived lack of a sense of community, ie, knowing one's neighbor.  The winters--I was there in December, January, and February this past year, viewing homes for purchase. During all three months the weather was cold, really cold, while Lakeside was "just chilly".

I calculated the real estate in SMA to be appx. $200K USD more than a comparable house in Ajijic. For that amount I estimated I could make a lifetime of trips to visit SMA as a tourist.

I lived there from 2004 until 2008.  You observed the problems, and you're right:  use the money for trips.  Living there isn't as pleasant as in Lakeside, and those winters can be really bone chilling.

I think living in a city, especially near a historic centro area, weather becomes much less important. In the country, plants/flowers are more important than people. People can be overwhelming, but believe me, they are much more interesting than plants. That is what I sometimes don't understand about so called  "village" life here - you are getting the worst of both. Find a city where the the plants/flowers can sing an Aria, then I''m sold. I am now missing city life, even a small cubby hole, if you are out and about a lot. Guadalajara is not an option, been travelling there since 1974 and to this day it still seems like a "work in progress", or "regress" depending on your personality traits.

30 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

People can be overwhelming, but believe me, they are much more interesting than plants.

Ha, I've got a lot of plants that I bet are more interesting than............

Oh, can't say that here!  Fill in your own blank!

If looking for a medium to larger size city consider Leon. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/León,_Guanajuato

I was enchanted by San Cristobal after a short visit - great place to walk and have fun - and considered moving there.  I enjoyed the cooler temps - this area is getting hotter every year... It's been great to read 1st hand accounts from others of many places I haven't visited like Morelia.

Does no one consider it necessary to speak Spanish in all these other places?  Mine is strong intermediate.  I can handle mundane matters and socializing in Spanish, but even I have reservations about growing old in any of those other communities, however pleasant they may be.

Most gringos here are married couples and probably feel they have someone to be there for them.  As a single, I have had to reach out to the MX community for help when needed after injuries and illnesses, as well as for social and cultural activities.  The Mexicans in this area are used to the large population of gringos who mostly don't speak Spanish but need elder care/facilities, etc.  It is a actually a culture shock to the Mexicans that so many old foreigners move here rather than living with their families as is the custom here.  Therefore, I wonder how truly easy it would be to live in MX but away from this area.  Who is going to help you when you need it?  Even if you speak passable Spanish?  Living somewhere is not the same as an extended tourist stay.

6 minutes ago, ezpz said:

I was enchanted by San Cristobal after a short visit - great place to walk and have fun - and considered moving there.  I enjoyed the cooler temps - this area is getting hotter every year... It's been great to read 1st hand accounts from others of many places I haven't visited like Morelia.

Does no one consider it necessary to speak Spanish in all these other places?  Mine is strong intermediate.  I can handle mundane matters and socializing in Spanish, but even I have reservations about growing old in any of those other communities, however pleasant they may be.

Most gringos here are married couples and probably feel they have someone to be there for them.  As a single, I have had to reach out to the MX community for help when needed after injuries and illnesses, as well as for social and cultural activities.  The Mexicans in this area are used to the large population of gringos who mostly don't speak Spanish but need elder care/facilities, etc.  It is a actually a culture shock to the Mexicans that so many old foreigners move here rather than living with their families as is the custom here.  Therefore, I wonder how truly easy it would be to live in MX but away from this area.  Who is going to help you when you need it?  Even if you speak passable Spanish?  Living somewhere is not the same as an extended tourist stay.

Si tiene dinero, todo se puede.

Archived