Chapala.com Webboard

Pots without steam vents in the lid

ComputerGuy

Very frustrated trying to find any kind of pots without steam vents in the lids around here. I expect any recommendations I get will be for Amazon or something. What I can't quite figure is why the fascination in Mexico with steam vents? They make the pot useless for any number of applications, not the least of which is rice.

I have been there, in fact you should know that when I ask a question like this, I have done my research, been to every store around here that I know of.

Unfortunately, I already have more pots than I need, or I would have purchased something in Guadalajara at Sears or CostCo (to make matters worse, the sets are designed without the proper sizes; they are generic and almost pointless). I only need a couple. I brought several sizes down with me from Canada long ago.

I'm more curious about other people, though, and if they find this an issue, like I do...

We found ours some years ago at Bazar de Barbara. If you don't see what you want ask Ricardo or one of the guys. They usually have more in the back or in storage at one of their bodegas.

Look for the Romertopf clay bakeware pots, used to be made in Germany, now made in Mexico near Guadalajara. I don't know the details as to how to order and pickup in Mexico. They offer tours, and sell some flawed or miscast pieces at very low prices. We have been using them for 15 years. For rice, you would put a thin cloth between the lid and the pot, big dab of salted butter, then the bottom rice would be crunchy brown and buttery. This dish is highly prized in the Middle East, especially Iran.

http://www.romertopfonline.com/romertopf.html

According to this website, they are no longer made in Mexico.

http://breadtopia.com/store/romertopf-clay-baker-99111/

4 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

We found ours some years ago at Bazar de Barbara. If you don't see what you want ask Ricardo or one of the guys. They usually have more in the back or in storage at one of their bodegas.

Thanks, but BB is out for me forever. Tom's prices are maniacally high for the silliest of things. I saw a wooden spoon there a year ago that certainly wasn't an antique, at a higher price than a set of three anywhere else. And used, of course. The more I looked at his kitchen stuff, the faster I wanted out of there.

Note everyone: I just want regular kitchen frypots, clad interiors, no steam vents. This is not difficult to imagine, although a helluva time on Amazon trying to find any. Should just bought them in WalMart in Canada, like I used to do, and stuffed them in a sack to bring back. All kinds, all prices.

Okay, so everybody just tell me about every pot you've ever experienced. Include a family history if you like, post pictures, give me many paragraphs about each cooking experience. Whatever you do, though, don't say one damn thing about what I'm discussing, okay? Thanks.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

Thanks, but BB is out for me forever. Tom's prices are maniacally high for the silliest of things. I saw a wooden spoon there a year ago that certainly wasn't an antique, at a higher price than a set of three anywhere else. And used, of course. The more I looked at his kitchen stuff, the faster I wanted out of there.

Note everyone: I just want regular kitchen frypots, clad interiors, no steam vents. This is not difficult to imagine, although a helluva time on Amazon trying to find any. Should just bought them in WalMart in Canada, like I used to do, and stuffed them in a sack to bring back. All kinds, all prices.

I hear dat, CG. We got a very good set that has stood the test of time. Yes, we paid more than if we had gotten it in the US but much less than a trip to the US to buy cookware. We have never paid the listed price at BB or actually anything even close to the listed price. BB completely furnished the condo we now own in PV including almost everything in here. They delivered, set up, all at a price we felt was very reasonable.

Many of our friends feel exactly as you do. Maybe because I was one of the "Kings" with Tom and Stuart I get a break? Who knows.

Oh, was that third guy tossing out candy you? Good job, I must say. I come from the land of yardsales, barnsales, country estates, blah blah blah. I'm no expert, but I know my stuff, and being in Mexico is no reason for me to pay Tom's inflated prices, but then I need to budget pretty much everything.

1 minute ago, ComputerGuy said:

Oh, was that third guy tossing out candy you? Good job, I must say. I come from the land of yardsales, barnsales, country estates, blah blah blah. I'm no expert, but I know my stuff, and being in Mexico is no reason for me to pay Tom's inflated prices, but then I need to budget pretty much everything.

Yeah, that was me until some kid in SJC thought our candy treats were too lousy and threw it back and almost took out my eye. That's when I realized the locals were getting much like the kids NOB. We all (3) spent mucho dinero to buy all that stuff we gave away. It was Tom's idea to do it on 3 King's Day (Jan. 6) to try and lessen the influence of Santa Claus on the Mexican kids. Worked well for a few years and then greed snuck in.

3 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Yeah, that was me until some kid in SJC thought our candy treats were too lousy and threw it back and almost took out my eye. That's when I realized the locals were getting much like the kids NOB. We all (3) spent mucho dinero to buy all that stuff we gave away. It was Tom's idea to do it on 3 King's Day (Jan. 6) to try and lessen the influence of Santa Claus on the Mexican kids. Worked well for a few years and then greed snuck in.

Really too bad. It was pretty cool and a smart idea.

2 hours ago, artsnob said:

I was just at the dollar store in Ajijic, they have all sizes in glass or metal, you can also buy lids separate

No nonstick pots with unvented lids. Lots of porcelain, several sets of odd types, certainly not what I'm looking for, thanks. I reiterate: I have been to every store here over the years.

I am more curious as to why this is such a big deal: I never used to have to worry about normal lids. What do you cooks do, besides wrapping foil over the top?

Yes, of course, as I mentioned at the top... U.S. Too many things on Amazon Mx that come from the States, involving extra shipping and duty, and I don't bother checking there anymore. I can get things delivered from the States. Went looking for one of those combo crockpot/slow cooker/pressure cooker jobbies... found almost the identical on amazon.mx, but by the time it would be delivered, it would cost a lot mroe with the associated worry about customs, etc. Anyway, don't want to make this about deliveries.

I was just curious, not so much about finding them, as about what other cooks might be doing. But I can see that isn't likely to happen, so we can gently put this thread to bed.

Honestly, I use my one and only vented lid pot specifically FOR rice and nothing else. Everybody's way of cooking things is different but this gets me perfect rice every single time.

1 cup of long grain brown rice + 2 1/2 cups of water. Bring the water to a boil. Add the rice. When it comes to a boil AGAIN, turn down the burner until barely there and cook for 50 minutes. When timer goes off, remove pot from heat and move to another burner that is off and let it sit for 15 minutes. Remove lid, fluff and serve. Makes 3 cups of (imho) perfect rice.

You have not peeked or removed the lid since you added the rice until you go to serve... but that little vent hole has been spewing steam throughout the cooking.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

I will share a much simpler recipe with you.

I tried a little bit of everything with short grain rice with no luck.  El Torito sells a long grain rice, looks almost transparent.

I cover it well with cold water, put on high heat for 25 minutes.  Then drain the water, put back on high heat 20-30 seconds covered and then let it sit a few minutes to finish steaming

Works great.  Nice fluffy, rice.  

Interesting. I will try that.

For brown, I have several, one being:

-1 cup cold water/1 cup rice

-40-45 min on the absolute lowest heat. (My lowest heat is really low, as I had the burner replaced to provide a very tiny flame.)

For long grain rice, I use one adjusted to our level:

-1.5 cups cold water/1 cup rice

- 20 min on low. Then check; since everyone's stove is different, there may be water left, or it may have absorbed too much. A lot depends on the rice, as well, so judge with your favourite type.

CG, feel your pain. Without spending an arm and a leg I came up with this solution: small piece of aluminum foil, rolled into a tight tube. Insert in vent hole, flatten on each side of lid. Think old school  rivet. Steam hole blocked. I'm still looking for the same thing you are without spending a bunch. 

Zerbit, thanks for the comment. I actually place tinfoil over the whole top before covering with the lid, a trick I learned watching some master rice-cooking video. (Watching the Japanese sushi masters spend two years learning how to make rice really makes my ordeal seem foolish, lol.) I make sure the edges are tamped down. The true secret to steaming is ensuring nothing escapes. The sushi guys not only put a lid on their rice cookers, but then they add a ton of weights, a huge stack on top, to ensure no leakage at all.

In an interesting variation for making basmati, my recipe calls for boiling the water first, in a kettle, and then pouring the boiling water over the washed rice and bringing it back to a boil. As soon as it hits boil, cover with foil and lid and turn down the heat to the very lowest for only 15 minutes. Ratio: 2 cups rice/3 cups water. (It is also wise to soak the rice for 30 minutes before.)

And as you say, "without spending a bunch" is important. I wonder if I can find a nut and bolt to fit those holes...

52 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Zerbit, thanks for the comment. I actually place tinfoil over the whole top before covering with the lid, a trick I learned watching some master rice-cooking video. (Watching the Japanese sushi masters spend two years learning how to make rice really makes my ordeal seem foolish, lol.) I make sure the edges are tamped down. The true secret to steaming is ensuring nothing escapes. The sushi guys not only put a lid on their rice cookers, but then they add a ton of weights, a huge stack on top, to ensure no leakage at all.

In an interesting variation for making basmati, my recipe calls for boiling the water first, in a kettle, and then pouring the boiling water over the washed rice and bringing it back to a boil. As soon as it hits boil, cover with foil and lid and turn down the heat to the very lowest for only 15 minutes. Ratio: 2 cups rice/3 cups water. (It is also wise to soak the rice for 30 minutes before.)

And as you say, "without spending a bunch" is important. I wonder if I can find a nut and bolt to fit those holes...

I'm going to try your basmati technique ! Looks like a good one! Maybe a dab of silicon if you can't find a bolt? 

Archived