Chapala.com Webboard

Robbery Prevention

Make sure to TEST your system. A well know alarm company installed mine, and since I checked the wiring found that the siren was NOT CONNECTED; not sure what the significance of this is:(! Upon further checking found that the pet senors were incorrect for the application, somewhat erodes the confidence in their competence.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok we went to Sose and made an appt. they are suppose to be coming.

Went to Smart Home at Centro Laguna and they gave me a card to call a guy Edgardo to make an appt. I talked to him yesterday and he said he would call me back to make an appt. Never called back.

Had someone email a private party, I called and left a message and no return call.

So I guess I can figure out who is going to be more responsive.

5 hours ago, hensley said:

Ok we went to Sose and made an appt. they are suppose to be coming.

Went to Smart Home at Centro Laguna and they gave me a card to call a guy Edgardo to make an appt. I talked to him yesterday and he said he would call me back to make an appt. Never called back.

Had someone email a private party, I called and left a message and no return call.

So I guess I can figure out who is going to be more responsive.

If you have a Smart Phone get the free WhatsApp and use it,  Most Mexicans I know use it and respond quickly, even business people. E-Mails and phone calls seem to be a thing of the past here. Even my wife´s and my own Telcel voice mails are not activated even though you can leave a voice message we will not hear it.

the alternative solution for break ins, could be furniture with hidden places to hide valuables.  Most of mexicans have them. 

Seems simple enough to me.  Just don't have anything down here of real value in terms of family heirlooms etc.  I will not live in fear, nor will I live behind all the razor wire, alarms, protection killer dogs, etc. Our home has simple security and we have a number of dogs - real dogs not killer beasts.

We  are happy here and feel very safe.  Until that changes.........then if it does, we re think about living here.  Until then, we like to feel we are "free" and not under assault.  Just us.  Everybody has a different comfort level.  When we first moved here - just when all hell broke loose in 2011/12 we really felt nervous and worried that we had maybe made a very bad decision to move here.  

Like I say, we feel safe here until we no longer would and then take it from there.  Now, we are happy and love our lives here.

Many years ago our neighbor 2 doors away decided he needed a guard dog for his wife when he was away. He could afford it, CEO of Marvel Entertainment, a great guy. He introduced me to Vonage when it first came out. So one day his wife was returning from Guadalajara with the dog following another "training session". We were walking right in front of her house and she stopped and rolled down the passenger side window to say hello when the dog leaped out and bit my wife rather severely right in the groin area. Blood and all. We had been to their home many times and never a problem. That ended being invited over. He came over a couple of days later to apologize and told my wife she could have "anything you want". Yeah, what do you say to something like that? Clearly he could afford it but come on. My wife went and got the bills which totaled around $300 P and told him he could reimburse them. He couldn't get his wallet out fast enough. One of our maids asked why we didn't get a car for her!

Ok we have had 3 come out so far.

Smart home came and they emailed an estimate. Did not suggest any outside detectors, only everything inside.

Carlos private installer came and he is going to email an estimate. We talked in dept about outside motion detectors.

Sose came 30 minutes late which is ok and their guy is scary looking and does not speak English which is ok, then the bell rings and another guy from Sose comes to translate. They will send an estimate in 2 hours. Not too impressed. The translator said it would not alert our cell phone and the other guy said it would, so they weren't even on the same page.

Just sent an email to Equipos y Alarmas in Guadalajara and waiting to get an appt. with them.

One thing each company has different ideas on what to do here.

On 7/26/2017 at 9:47 PM, hensley said:

Now you have my interest, what kind of Booby Traps?

First, we need to know if the booby traps have legal consequences for the homeowner if someone breaks in.  As of yet, no one knows the answer.  Insofar as what types, there is much of this information on line.

I have considered that it would be good to have a CD player by the bed, so I could hit the play button triggering barking and growling dogs and a voice saying (in Spanish) "Down Rover, down Killer, good Dobermans, wait until I get my gun and then I will let you out!" Of course, first I would turn on the lights, which are not motion-activated here, as we are in a small condo area, but I do love motion-activated lights. Consider a psychological approach, remembering that you are likely smarter than the thieves.

Archived