Chapala.com Webboard

Robbery Prevention

All the poor OP asked for was a recommendation for an alarm company. She's received grammar lessons, the value of dogs as deterrents, dismissal of the value of private security and home safes, and a sideways slam at living here.  Oh, and among 25 responses, one actual recommendation for an alarm company. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what our bored has become. No spelling error.

I would only offer to the OP that I have heard a lot of stories about alarm companies not answering, or disappearing into the night. Of course, we always hear the bad news, rarely the good news. But the guys in Chapala at the key shop have a strong reputation and have been here for years, so I guess they would be worth checking out. After installation service, however, is the question to ask.

I used Vazal Alarm Systems on Mariano Otero, in Guadalajara.  My neighbors have a remote to turn off or on the alarm as needed.  Since I did not expect any company to show up in time to make a difference, we just went with something that made a lot of noise.  Two door sensors, two remote controls, control panel, and 3 motion detectors DSC security system installed complete 9000 MXN.  Owner does not speak English if that is an issue for you.

Price local was 18,000 MXN for the same specs, same DSC system.   I forget the name of that company.

For an added layer of security, I have a Trejo Modelo Uno Rafaga.  

I remember someone saying the door hinges were on the outside - the burglars simply lifted off the door.  Possible at your house?

I think iron bars on windows are a good deterrent.  The previous owner of my house had his computer desk right under the window though and he came home to find the perp

trying to lift his lap top through the bars.  So don't place anything of value in reach.

Having glass in a door that can easily be broken so the perp can then reach in and unlock the  door is a bad idea.  I had glass with bars on a door where one could do this

by easily reaching between the bars.

Patio doors are the same.  I think a good metal retractable "fence" would make sense.  

As has been said many times, don't give out keys.  The person you give it to might be honest but that key might be stolen, the person be unaware that it was taken long 

enough for a copy to be made.  If you have to be out when your cleaning lady or gardener is coming, can a neighbour let them in?

And lastly, vary your routine if you can.

We all ignore barking dogs so unless they are seen by the burglar and are seen to be ferocious, I think they are useless.

1 hour ago, Xena said:

All the poor OP asked for was a recommendation for an alarm company. She's received grammar lessons, the value of dogs as deterrents, dismissal of the value of private security and home safes, and a sideways slam at living here.  Oh, and among 25 responses, one actual recommendation for an alarm company. 

I noticed that, too.  What's with not simply responding to a question if you happen to have the information being requested ?

14 hours ago, WideSky said:

Check with SOSE security; I think that they are in or in back of Cerrajeria Aragon in Chapala (locksmiths) on Morelos.

We are going there today. Thanks

12 hours ago, MtnMama said:

Neighborhood Watch is as good as anything better than most.

Most dogs, no matter the size, are Watch dogs. They bark at a perceived threat. But think about how often you pay attention to the neighbor's barking dogs. Nuff said.

An actual Guard dog is a deterrent, but that means a professionally trained dog who is trained to do bodily harm. There are such trainers in Guadalajara but they don't come cheap.

Steren sells security cameras but I don't know what all they do.

Ya and how easy for them to poison a dog!

12 hours ago, jrm30655 said:

Some work through the internet and you can watch them rob you on your cell phone.

Ya and who has time to sit and watch the camera's on your cell phone, a friend of mine has one, she watches her dogs, but what happens when you are busy and you aren't watching the robbers, or better yet they steal your cameras when they rob you, had that happen to someone also.

1 hour ago, Torontonian said:

I remember someone saying the door hinges were on the outside - the burglars simply lifted off the door.  Possible at your house?

I think iron bars on windows are a good deterrent.  The previous owner of my house had his computer desk right under the window though and he came home to find the perp

trying to lift his lap top through the bars.  So don't place anything of value in reach.

Having glass in a door that can easily be broken so the perp can then reach in and unlock the  door is a bad idea.  I had glass with bars on a door where one could do this

by easily reaching between the bars.

Patio doors are the same.  I think a good metal retractable "fence" would make sense.  

As has been said many times, don't give out keys.  The person you give it to might be honest but that key might be stolen, the person be unaware that it was taken long 

enough for a copy to be made.  If you have to be out when your cleaning lady or gardener is coming, can a neighbour let them in?

And lastly, vary your routine if you can.

We all ignore barking dogs so unless they are seen by the burglar and are seen to be ferocious, I think they are useless.

One house nearby had bars on the sliding glass doors with heavy locks, they just broke them smashed the glass, took the strong sticks out of the sliders and they were in. If they want to get in they are going to.

If you are going near the locksmith anyways, ask to see his triple barrel, laser keyed locks. Unfortunately they have to welded to be installed. Also case hardened padlocks and "motorcycle" cables, cannot be easily sawn or cut. These are like what store owners use. Alarms are great, but it is all about giving the impression that you take your security very seriously - no old, rusty stuff.

Back in my home NOB I have a very good friend who owns an alarm company. He basically said if the people who want to get in your house are professionals they will get in , no matter what  It's the teenagers and novices that get caught but then again who will catch them here? What he did recommend is not only I have an ear piercing siren in the inside of the house That will hurt their ears but one on the outside of the house. In some situations here I would put two on the inside and outside of the house (the noisiest and loudest you can get so that the neighbors get real mad and may come over and see whats going on. It surely will not make the burglars happy and instead of ransacking the house may do just a smash and grab if that. I would also put 2 sensors on the glass in case of a smash. One through the rail a sliding door is on and one that senses a break in the glass.Same with all windows. One if opened and one if smashed. We also put a  dowel on the track to prevent the sliding door from being opened. Another protection is security film on the windows which makes a smash and grab almost impossible to do.  Just another added deterrence..   The system we had would typically reset in 15 to 20 minutes. The question becomes if you can trust the workers of the company that installed the system do not tell their buddies all about the installation. .One has to understand the mind of a home burglar. Time, noise, and visibility. I suggest no bushes at all around the perimeter of the walls and windows of the house. Also, if you have purchased a TV or a big appliance, cut the boxes into pieces so a potential burglar will not know you made a significant purchase.

This is a serious topic and we all have this concern.  What about setting booby traps once you leave the house?  In the US, the laws do not favor the homeowner in this regard.  You end up being responsible if someone breaks in and gets hurt.  How insane that is.  This is something we would like to know.  What happens here in Mexico if someone breaks in and they get hurt or killed by the trap.  What are the laws?  Is the homeowner protected and the actual criminal to blame?  These are legal questions.  Perhaps Spencer could help answer these questions.

22 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

How about firemen responding to smoke coming out your roof vents? Is their safety "insane"?

Don't ever let the firemen in your home unless you want to be robbed. Same with the policia.

11 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Don't ever let the firemen in your home unless you want to be robbed. Same with the policia.

Zeb's remark was about the conditions NOB. Here I would agree.

19 hours ago, gwynne said:

Alarms are little to no help.  We had to deal with one on a house we were watching for friends.  The alarm went off every time a leaf moved.  The alarm company was no help.  Just last week, as I was coming home, one of my neighbors was pacing in the street in front of a house with an alarm going off.  He'd called the company but they said they couldn't come out.  The police didn't answer.  The alarm finally ran down.

Re dogs:  I have a 90 lb American Staffordshire who puts fear into the hearts of anybody on the other side of the fence.  He's a total wuss but he gets the message across by just being there.  A poodle doesn't have the same effect.

You obviously have not met my 75 pound poodle. 

2013-01-31 21.52.44.jpg

A robber who is serious about his work would be prepared for the job.  This means a stun gun for the dog (at the least), some heavy duty cutting tools and if possible, a key or two copied by the maid or gardener's gangbanger kid or bud. Alarms?  You've covered the usefulness of that.

It's good to think about possible strategies, though. Mine:  bars everywhere.  No sliding doors. Curious neighbors.  Before the "bars everywhere" one bad guy high on drugs got into the yard, set fire to the woodpile and turned off the water supply.  After that, more bars.  So far, so good.

8 hours ago, Zeb said:

This is a serious topic and we all have this concern.  What about setting booby traps once you leave the house?  In the US, the laws do not favor the homeowner in this regard.  You end up being responsible if someone breaks in and gets hurt.  How insane that is.  This is something we would like to know.  What happens here in Mexico if someone breaks in and they get hurt or killed by the trap.  What are the laws?  Is the homeowner protected and the actual criminal to blame?  These are legal questions.  Perhaps Spencer could help answer these questions.

Now you have my interest, what kind of Booby Traps?

8 hours ago, michael2595 said:

Back in my home NOB I have a very good friend who owns an alarm company. He basically said if the people who want to get in your house are professionals they will get in , no matter what  It's the teenagers and novices that get caught but then again who will catch them here? What he did recommend is not only I have an ear piercing siren in the inside of the house That will hurt their ears but one on the outside of the house. In some situations here I would put two on the inside and outside of the house (the noisiest and loudest you can get so that the neighbors get real mad and may come over and see whats going on. It surely will not make the burglars happy and instead of ransacking the house may do just a smash and grab if that. I would also put 2 sensors on the glass in case of a smash. One through the rail a sliding door is on and one that senses a break in the glass.Same with all windows. One if opened and one if smashed. We also put a  dowel on the track to prevent the sliding door from being opened. Another protection is security film on the windows which makes a smash and grab almost impossible to do.  Just another added deterrence..   The system we had would typically reset in 15 to 20 minutes. The question becomes if you can trust the workers of the company that installed the system do not tell their buddies all about the installation. .One has to understand the mind of a home burglar. Time, noise, and visibility. I suggest no bushes at all around the perimeter of the walls and windows of the house. Also, if you have purchased a TV or a big appliance, cut the boxes into pieces so a potential burglar will not know you made a significant purchase.

We have thought about many of these things already. Have 3 companies coming over to give us estimates.

Archived