Chapala.com Webboard

Tourist Visa - Driving belongings into MX from Laredo

Kurbie

From my web site: the question often comes up, "if as a tourist with a foreign plated car in Mexico, may I fly out and leave the car in Mexico as long as the TIP has not expired". The answer is yes you may as per my conversation with Carlos de la Rosa, an employee of SAT. His number is 01-551-203-1000, ext. 47483. He is also the Retorno Seguro contact. It is the same as a person with an RV who is a tourist who obtains a 10-year TIP.

Sonia, I am surely no arguing your point but, for me, one question has seemingly never been addressed (to my knowledge or satisfaction). That is the statement from the goverment about TIP’s ‘life’, and in English, is:

As a foreigner, the expiration date of your permit will be the same as that of your immigration status, including its continuous renewals provided that they are sequential. Bear in mind that you need to submit your notice to the Customs Office within 15 days of the date of the immigration document renewal, for you to be entitled to have your permit deposit reimbursed.”

To me, when one decides to fly out, and they surrender their Tourist card to the airline and thus Aduana, their immigration status is that they are no longer a tourist in Mexico and therefore “have no immigration status”. That Tourist card was for ‘up to 180 days’ and they have decided to relinquish that visa to the government prior to it’s 180-day death. 

When one then decides to fly back into Mexico they are issued a new Tourist card but since that new Tourist card is not ‘continuous’ it can not be considered a renewal (if for no other reason than a Tourist card cannot be renewed, but also ‘continuos’ did not happen). I suspect that ‘continuos’ language is put there for the Temporal visa which can be/is renewed and we all know that the TIP that is associated with it can be renewed at that time also. 

Anyway, I’m wondering if you might have asked for clarification of this point when you spoke to your contact, Sr de la Rosa? For most, that is the language that appears to suggest that a car cannot be left behind. I am also wondering if that gentleman might be willing to give a written clarification response to that question if asked to do so.

29 minutes ago, RickS said:

Sonia, I am surely no arguing your point but, for me, one question has seemingly never been addressed (to my knowledge or satisfaction). That is the statement from the goverment about TIP’s ‘life’, and in English, is:

As a foreigner, the expiration date of your permit will be the same as that of your immigration status, including its continuous renewals provided that they are sequential. Bear in mind that you need to submit your notice to the Customs Office within 15 days of the date of the immigration document renewal, for you to be entitled to have your permit deposit reimbursed.”

To me, when one decides to fly out, and they surrender their Tourist card to the airline and thus Aduana, their immigration status is that they are no longer a tourist in Mexico and therefore “have no immigration status”. That Tourist card was for ‘up to 180 days’ and they have decided to relinquish that visa to the government prior to it’s 180-day death. 

When one then decides to fly back into Mexico they are issued a new Tourist card but since that new Tourist card is not ‘continuous’ it can not be considered a renewal (if for no other reason than a Tourist card cannot be renewed, but also ‘continuos’ did not happen). I suspect that ‘continuos’ language is put there for the Temporal visa which can be/is renewed and we all know that the TIP that is associated with it can be renewed at that time also. 

Anyway, I’m wondering if you might have asked for clarification of this point when you spoke to your contact, Sr de la Rosa? For most, that is the language that appears to suggest that a car cannot be left behind. I am also wondering if that gentleman might be willing to give a written clarification response to that question if asked to do so.

I posted his number so ask him. Why would rule be different for 6 month TIP vs a 10 year TIP? Both are given to tourists.

I would not place my faith in a “conversation“ which flies in the face of the written rules, as quoted above by RickS, from Mexican government official sources.  Hearsay will not solve the problems that might arise.

Sonia‘s advice is usually excellent, but I do take exception on this point.

I drove into Mexico in a US plated car in July.  As a tourist.  I flew round trip  to the US after that, leaving my US plated car here with the original tourist sticker.  I then applied for a temporal in Laredo using other transportation.  As soon as I reported to Immigration in Chapala, I took my car to Customs at the airport per Sonia's website instructions.  If I had invalidated the sticker on my car by leaving it here when I flew out, I am sure there would have been a problem in transferring the status of my car from "tourist" to "temporal."  There was no problem at all - process was smooth and flawless.  Based on my recent experience, I stand with Sonia.    I have followed all of Sonia's instructions to the letter, and have had no problems. 

Enforcement of that requirement is virtually nil, but serious consequences could arise in the event of an insurance claim, theft of the car & use in a crime or accident in your absence, or by you after your return.  Yes, the odds are in your favor, but.........read the law carefully.

Tell me one person who flew out and returned and continued to drive their foreign plated vehicle while the permit was still valid and had an issue? Just one, not a myth, not a rumor?

Client did exactly that and then vehicle was totaled and I was with Tim when he obtained a letter from Aduana for the insurance company saying car was legal.

I have also had clients on several occasions enter Mexico with a tourist card and a car with a TIP. They flew out of Mexico and some took a bus, obtained a pre-apporved visa and entered with a FMM marked CANJE. They then extended the car permit at Aduana at the Queretaro airport to have the same expiration date a year later. If I believed the naysayers they would tell me this is not possible. 

If some of you say it is not possible then tell me how a tourist gets a 10 year TIP for a motorhome and comes and goes regularly. 

if some think you are right call and ask vs an unfounded opinion.

2 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Anecdotal evidence is great for cocktail party stories. Maybe not as good for legal advice.

Then I suggest you get it vs spouting off. You have the phone number so don't be so lazy.

It is not anecdotal when I and another person quoted real examples. 

UmmHmmm.......

"But sir, I spoke to xxxxxx on the phone and was told it was OK. I don't understand sir, why are you doing this to me........"

"OK, now I'm really going to put you in your place." "I read it on the Chapala Board. See if you can top that!"

1 hour ago, Sonia said:

Then I suggest you get it vs spouting off. You have the phone number so don't be so lazy.

OK Sonia, peace. I would do as you indicated in a heartbeat, personally, as any possible consequence would not be unbearable to me. I would not, however, advise someone else to do it and promise them nothing could happen. Just me.  Peace.

3 hours ago, Sonia said:

Sonia, that's the very definition of anecdotal.

8 hours ago, Sonia said:

Tell me one person who flew out and returned and continued to drive their foreign plated vehicle while the permit was still valid and had an issue? Just one, not a myth, not a rumor?

Client did exactly that and then vehicle was totaled and I was with Tim when he obtained a letter from Aduana for the insurance company saying car was legal.

I have also had clients on several occasions enter Mexico with a tourist card and a car with a TIP. They flew out of Mexico and some took a bus, obtained a pre-apporved visa and entered with a FMM marked CANJE. They then extended the car permit at Aduana at the Queretaro airport to have the same expiration date a year later. If I believed the naysayers they would tell me this is not possible. 

If some of you say it is not possible then tell me how a tourist gets a 10 year TIP for a motorhome and comes and goes regularly. 

if some think you are right call and ask vs an unfounded opinion.

Actually Sonia, I do personally know a man who drove in on a tourist visa, then had to fly back to the States for a week after he was here for a couple months. When he went to get his visa stamped at INM before flying out (the airline requires that to board), he was asked where the car was that he had brought in under the tourist visa. He said it was in Sayulita, that he was flying back in a week and had the return ticket to prove it. They called over the Aduana agent. He was fined, I'm not sure how much. Maybe this was just someone looking for a money grab, but this did happen.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2017 at 11:53 PM, mudgirl said:

Actually Sonia, I do personally know a man who drove in on a tourist visa, then had to fly back to the States for a week after he was here for a couple months. When he went to get his visa stamped at INM before flying out (the airline requires that to board), he was asked where the car was that he had brought in under the tourist visa. He said it was in Sayulita, that he was flying back in a week and had the return ticket to prove it. They called over the Aduana agent. He was fined, I'm not sure how much. Maybe this was just someone looking for a money grab, but this did happen.

And that same story went all over numerous web sites and FB pages and later proven false.

Some of you are too lazy to actually make calls to Aduana / SAT and ask yet full of silly opinions. 

And I know people who were stopped when not committing a traffic violation and paid. :-) And I know, people who got their cars "nationalized" including EdoMex plates with no legal documents.  And I know...... fill in the blanks .... mmm :-)

On 11/28/2017 at 4:48 PM, Sonia said:

And that same story went all over numerous web sites and FB pages and later proven false.

Some of you are too lazy to actually make calls to Aduana / SAT and ask yet full of silly opinions. 

Sonia, you apparently didn't read my post properly before commenting. I said I PERSONALLY KNOW A MAN THIS HAPPENED TO at the PV airport. It wasn't some rumor nor something I read online.

Archived