Chapala.com Webboard

Como a malnecion

cedros

A local worker uses the above phrase. He says that locally it is like how are you. I don't understand.

Could he perhaps be saying, "¿Cómo amaneció?"  I believe so.

One of the meanings of the verb amanecer (in addition to "to dawn," as in, "to break day") is "to begin the day, to wake up." This is a common expression that I have used when I have hosted Spanish-speakers overnight in my home. It's an interesting switch to what we might say in English: "How did you sleep?"

Maybe but I got him to write the above down for me as I couldn't even understand what verb he was using.

Understood. Spelling is not a strong skill for many folks here, who, for whatever reason, did not have the opportunity to go very far with their schooling. I have a friend who only went through fourth grade, but she is a much better speller than another friend who was able to go to school for part of Secundaria. Based on the meaning that he told you and if he commonly uses it right after a greeting, the verb he's using is amanecer.

I doubt that's the only reason.  Maybe he/she complete all the grades but never attended class apart from his physical presence.  Teachers aren't allowed to fail students.  I have a Masters and I can't smell for the life of me.  Then too most of the super dullards here are waiting their turn to migrate to the US, and then too eating is more important than spelling.  Spanish is 10X easier than English.  IMO there's no excuse. 

If the worker is asking about you only, he's saying Cómo amaneció, as kbleitch said.  If you use the form between you, it's Cómo amaneciste?  If he's asking about you and whoever lives with you, he's using the plural, Cómo amanecieron?.  This is a construction that's only used in the morning, to ask how you 'dawned'--how did you sleep, did you sleep well, etc.

You'll also hear this verb used regarding weather.  Amaneció nublado, pero a mediodía se despejó el cielo.  "(The day) dawned cloudy, but by midday the sky had cleared."

Here's a link to the verb conjugation:
http://www.wordreference.com/conj/EsVerbs.aspx?v=amanecer

• 2 weeks later...

Archived