Chapala.com Webboard

Permanente application question- "residence"

court0503

Maybe a silly question but I want to get it right before I make the long trek to the Consulate with my bucket of doc

Ive lived Lakeside for years - always traveling with a Visitors visa - but keep a summer cottage here in the States where I stay 3-4 months/year.

-  "residence" -   I put my SAT address? My US address?

- "legal residence - yes or no" 

i have no idea what constitutes a 'legal' residence . Though I  Can't imagine either residence would be illegal I'd like to know what the question means 

We had the same choice to make, we used our US residence as our legal residence at the consulate. We let them know about both properties owned in Mexico. When we returned to finalize the process in Mexico, we used one of our addresses as our local address with utility bills and deed to support that. No problems what so ever. 

PLAN MOVING TO CHAPPALA READ HAVE TO HAVE INCOME $2500 PER MOS. IM ON SIC SEC $1500 PER MOS

TO GET PERMANENT RESIDENT VISA

2012 REGULATIONS CHANGED SOOOO HOW TO GET PERMANENT RESIDENT 

USA. AND ?MEDICAL TOO CRAZY TO STAY.  THOUGHT AND BEEN MEXICO OFTEN.   AJIJIC

CHAPPALA SOUNDS HOPEFUL 

TRUTH ABOUT CRIME AN CARTELS

THANKS MUCH

When I got my Permanente I had to either have a certain income per month or have a large amount of funds in a bank or brokerage account. I think owning a house in Mexico helped as well. This was in 2013 so I do not remember the exact figures, Besides they may have changed.

5 hours ago, DMLEW said:

PLAN MOVING TO CHAPPALA READ HAVE TO HAVE INCOME $2500 PER MOS. IM ON SIC SEC $1500 PER MOS

CHAPPALA SOUNDS HOPEFUL 

THANKS MUCH

From Spencer....

http://www.chapalalaw.com/immigration-2/

VISA REQUIREMENTS AT MEXICAN CONSULATES OUTSIDE MEXICO:
To qualify for the temporary visa they must show a monthly income of 300 times the minimum wage (for 2017 it is 80.04 pesos) or 24,012 pesos or $1,158 US dollars using an exchange rate of 20.73 to 1 (using December 28, 2016 exchange rate). This must be documented with 6 months bank statements. People who have liquid assets may qualify showing that they have maintained an average balance of 5,000 times the minimum wage (for 2017 it is 80.04 pesos) or 400,200 pesos or $19,305 US dollars using an exchange rate of 20.73 to 1 (using December 28, 2016 exchange rate). This must be documented with 12 months bank statements.

To qualify for the permanent visa they must show a monthly income of 500 times the minimum wage (for 2016 it is 80.04 pesos) or 40,020 pesos or $2,117 US dollars using an exchange rate of 20.73 to 1 (using December 28, 2016 exchange rate). This must be documented with 6 months bank statements. People who have liquid assets may qualify showing that they have maintained an average balance of 20,000 times the minimum wage (for 2017 it is 80.04 pesos) or 1,600,800 pesos or $77,221 US dollars using an exchange rate of 20.73 to 1 (using December 28, 2016 exchange rate). This must be documented with 12 months bank statements. It has been reported to us that in the past there was no minimum age limit on people applying for permanent visas but now many have reported that consulates are asking to see pension or retirement income in order to apply for the permanent visa or they are not giving them to people who are under 50 or 60 years old. Shop around as consulates have different internal guidelines and if you are in this situation it pays to make some calls.

You can apply for visas for your spouse (gay couples included) and children at the consulate at the same time or we can do it when you are here in Mexico once the primary applicant has their visa. Remember that in order to do this we will need birth / marriage certificates and apostilles (legalized copies for those from Canada or non Hague Convention countries).

Please be advised that the consulates might have their own special rules. Processing time varies from a few hours to a few days on average. We can consult with you prior to your trip to the consulate and then prepare you for finishing the process here in Mexico as well as advise you how to properly fill out the FMM form upon arrival so that there will be no processing delays. Clients have reported that the consulates in Laredo, Texas and Las Vegas, Nevada are some of the easier ones to deal with as Las Vegas only requires US$1,000 per month to get temporary. While the law says you must give 6 or 12 months bank statements, many consulates only ask for 3 to 6 months. Laredo requires an appointment be made online prior to going, we can help you make your appointment and go over documentation requirements so you do not have to make two trips.

VISA REQUIREMENTS AT THE NATIONAL IMMIGRATION INSTITUTE INSIDE MEXICO:
To qualify for the temporary visa they must show a monthly income of 400 times the minimum wage (for 2017 it is 80.04 pesos) or 32,016 pesos or $1,544 US dollars using an exchange rate of 20.73 to 1 (using December 28, 2016 exchange rate). This must be documented with 6 months bank statements. People who have liquid assets may qualify showing that they have maintained an average balance of 20,000 times the minimum wage (for 2017 it is 80.04 pesos) or 1,402,000 pesos or $95,374 US dollars using an exchange rate of 20.73 to 1 (using December 28, 2016 exchange rate). This must be documented with 12 months bank statements.

To qualify for the permanent visa they must show a monthly income of 500 times the minimum wage (for 2017 it is 80.04 pesos) or 40,020 pesos or $1,931 US dollars using an exchange rate of 20.73 to 1 (using December 28, 2016 exchange rate). This must be documented with 6 months bank statements. People who have liquid assets may qualify showing that they have maintained an average balance of 25,000 times the minimum wage (for 2017 it is 80.04 pesos) or 2,001,000 pesos or $96,526 US dollars using an exchange rate of 20.73 to 1 (using December 28, 2016 exchange rate). This must be documented with 12 months bank statements. Immigration has been applying a rule the past few years that in order to change from temporary to a permanent visa that you must show that you receive a pension or retirement income, even $1.00. This has effectively stopped many people from “jumping ahead” if they only have savings and do not receive any pension or retirement income, in these cases people must complete all 4 years as a temporary before going to permanent if for only financial reasons (not family related).

You can apply for visas for your spouse (gay couples included) and children at the consulate at the same time or we can do it when you are here in Mexico once the primary applicant has their visa. Remember that in order to do this we will need birth / marriage certificates and apostilles (legalized copies for those from Canada or non Hague Convention countries).

*2016 Note – Immigration has changed their position during the past year and now will deny renewals for temporary visas for people who entered Mexico with permission to work for a company and then change to be self employed. They are alleging that the same entry conditions do not exist. We feel this is a violation of the 5th Article of the Mexican Constitution as well as Human Rights so please plan accordingly if you are inside Mexico and wish to switch jobs.

People who find themselves within Mexico and due to health reasons cannot travel can get humanitarian visas if a doctor from a government clinic prepares a letter describing their situation and that they are unable to travel. Old age, forgetting to return, or having a junker car that will not make it to the border are not valid reasons.

Please be advised that the consulates might have their own special rules. People have reported that the Mexican Consulates in Laredo, Texas, Phoenix, Arizona and Las Vegas, Nevada are very lenient and have approved people for temporary visas with income as little as $1,000.00USD per month. Processing time varies from a few hours to a few days on average. We can consult with you prior to your trip to the consulate and then prepare you for finishing the process here in Mexico as well as advise you how to properly fill out the FMM form upon arrival so that there will be no processing delays.

5 hours ago, DMLEW said:

CHAPPALA SOUNDS HOPEFUL 

THANKS MUCH

Unlock your caps lock.

2 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

Then, please edit to plain English, with punctuation, etc., so that you will be understood.

That would be nice also but if that was enforced, half the board members couldn't post!

• 2 weeks later...

As the circus barker used to say "Hurry, hurry, hurry". As the peso increases against the USD the amount will increase for Americans to qualify.

3 hours ago, pablitoh said:

are those income requirement pp or per couple?

Per person. Applications are made individually.  However, one spouse may qualify and the other may enter as a tourist.  Once the primary spouse actually receives the visa card in Mexico, the other may apply for similar status, in Mexico, under vinca familiar rules.

One other note.... if going for Residente Permanente, one cannot have a US plated vehicle. BUT one could come and be a Permanente and the spouse (who's name must be on the vehicle title) could come as Temporal bringing the US vehicle, and both could legally drive it in Mexico. Only one car permitted (unless both coming in as Temporal and then both could have a car).

Some consulates allow a reduction in financials for spouse. Please read here. Also read the part about spouse qualifying under family.

http://www.soniadiaz.mx/immigration---visas.html

Rarely does a consulate take into account day to day fluctuations in exchange rate.

12 minutes ago, Sonia said:

Rarely does a consulate take into account day to day fluctuations in exchange rate.

No, but the long term decline of the USD would certainly be factored in at some point.

Archived