Chapala.com Webboard

Look Before You Buy

Carrol

Two weeks ago I stopped at a garden shop on the carreterra and bought some "Fish Emulsion Fertilizer" that was sold as 'organic.'  It is not.  When I had finished fertilizing my plants, I turned around to discover my dog was licking up the residue.   I'm not sure what impelled me to go back and read the fertilizer label, but I did, and discovered it contains Sulfuric Acid and Urea as 'stabilizers! An online search explained that if the emulsion did not have these chemicals added, the product would continue to decay and explode the bottle. 

And for those of you (like me) who are not aware how deadly toxic these chemicals are, here's an example:  just one tiny drop of sulfuric acid is enough to kill a 200 lb adult.  

Thus for the second time this year, Scottie had his stomach pumped ... and it was discovered those toxic stabilizers had ulcerated his stomach and esophagus!   Thank Heaven he survived and is Ok today, but what a terrible chemistry lesson!!!

I did go back and tell the store owner what had happened, and urged him to please label that product  "Caution: Do Not Use Around Pets."  Yesterday I went back again to see if that had been done, and it had not. The manager insisted it was an 'Organic' product, even when I showed him the booklet that comes with it which states otherwise.  Please note-- the booklet is sealed in plastic so you cannot see the added ingredients unless you open the sealed packet.  

BOTTOM LINE: Please be sure to read the product information before you buy and use this type product around your pets.

22 minutes ago, Carrol said:

just one tiny drop of sulfuric acid is enough to kill a 200 lb adult.

Did you dream that or are you just being hysterical?

What is in your car's battery?

10 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Did you dream that or are you just being hysterical?

What is in your car's battery?

Your comment was unnecessarily snarky.  The OP did the right thing for their dog, and is helping others by warning them about checking labels very carefully!     http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemicals/chem_profiles/sulfuric_acid.html

OK, glad for the warning as this stuff may be problematic for cats too.  While one drop of concentrated sulfuric isn't going to kill you it would give a very nasty mouth burn.  I'm not going to test out just how much is required.  Battery acid is about 35% concentrated sulfuric.

Knock it off, Angus.  

Thanks to Carol for her warning. It is also absolutely fair to warn us against the store owner by naming him where the product is sold--without remorse. All she requested of him was to put a warning not to let the product near any pet. Customers can go there or stay away, as they wish.

Lexy

Carrol, I know very well the product you are referring too. Indeed it does have a rather strong rotten fishy ordor and is therefore attractive to many pets. Definitely use with caution when animals are around - this is actually the case with most natural fertilizers since they are a made of mostly natural material and almost all have some sort of rotten ordor. 

Archived