Chapala.com Webboard

Just as a warning to all! I was in my car outside of Benno's Computer on the Librimento waiting for my husband. I had the windows open because it was warm outside and was reading my email on my cell phone. A Mexican man came up to me on the driver's side and pointed to some keys on the ground next to my car and asked if they were mine. I opened the car door to pick them up and said they were not mine. My wallet was on the passenger side floor mat sitting up next to the divider. While I was distracted picking up the keys another person apparently reached in the window and stole my wallet (they were not my keys!) Lesson learned - never have your windows opened when driving or parked and always have your car locked whether you are in it or not! These were very experienced thieves looking for an opportunity. Within 15 minutes they had gone to Chapala and used my Mexican bank debit card to the tune of 18,000+ Mexican at Soriana's. Mexican banks do not refund money when your card is used. So take heed!

Very shrewd thieves. Sorry it happened to you.

I have also wondered how card thieves can so quickly use someone's card at an ATM. Is it so easy to access money at an ATM? A person's password isn't really a protection?

I can answer the withdrawal limit: My bank sets a limit, which I've raised from time to time. But others I know are able to withdraw a high amount.

Lexy

Yes, sounds like they bought a bunch of stuff.  I have wondered if these chipped cards have an Achilles heel in that they only require a signature and I've never had a cashier ask for proof of signature or photo ID when I use one.  Looks pretty easy to steal from once one gets their hands on the actual card.

Very sorry for your loss.  We don't have a lot of assault type crime but as is true of any resort style area the professionals tend to congregate here and steal stuff.

Every time whether Soriana or Walmart that I use my debit card for purchases, the cashier asks for photo identification. To have charged 18000 at Soriana, the criminal sure bought a lot without any security measures in place.

I know I'm going to get grief for saying this but I don't give a ????.

If you leave your wallet in plain sight.. (Even though it was on the floor it was still in plain sight) maybe Mexico is not the place for you.... Sadly petty crime like that is a way of life in Mexico, give them a chance and they will steal it.  

I don't care where I am or what I'm doing I'm aware of my surroundings, I take care never to show my wallet, other than when I pay for something..  Never leave change in plain sight when I park my car.... I put things in the trunk before I park, not when I park and walk away..  It's better to be safe than sorry.

I learnt all this stuff the hard way 11 years ago...

32 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

If you leave your wallet in plain sight.. (Even though it was on the floor it was still in plain sight) maybe Mexico is not the place for you.... Sadly petty crime like that is a way of life in Mexico, give them a chance and they will steal it.  

I don't care where I am or what I'm doing I'm aware of my surroundings, I take care never to show my wallet, other than when I pay for something..  Never leave change in plain sight when I park my car.... I put things in the trunk before I park, not when I park and walk away..  It's better to be safe than sorry.

I learnt all this stuff the hard way 11 years ago...

The OP didn't pretend they hadn't made a mistake.  Why be so ungracious?  They were simply giving us a heads up.

As far as any relationship about Mexico not being someone's place and this unfortunate mistake, this can and will happen just about anywhere.  Let's try and not be constantly telling people this isn't their place or they should leave when they post something we don't like.    

Thanks OP for sharing your story.

6 minutes ago, moderator-2 said:

The OP didn't pretend they hadn't made a mistake.  Why be so ungracious?  They were simply giving us a heads up.

As far as any relationship about Mexico not being someone's place and this unfortunate mistake, this can and will happen just about anywhere.  Let's try and not be constantly telling people this isn't their place or they should leave when they post something we don't like.    

Thanks OP for sharing your story.

I had no doubt you would have something to say...  Could please reference any other post where I have said "Mexico is not the place for you" 

I find it sad so many post about being robbed/scammed on here..or the cops doing their job.... We are responsible for ourselves, if you invite trouble you get trouble, sadly that's the way it is in Mexico.  If we all took a little care maybe the thieves and scam artists might decide it's not worth walking the streets seeing how many gringos and gringo cars they can steal from...

11 years ago I learnt my lesson. So now I take a few extra seconds to make sure I'm not leaving myself open to being preyed on...

If we all took a few extra seconds to think about what we are doing maybe just maybe the thieves might think it wasn't worth it targeting gringos.

3 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

Could please reference any other post where I have said "Mexico is not the place for you" 

No problem.  Obviously the OP left their wallet in plain sight.  

1 hour ago, TelsZ4 said:

If you leave your wallet in plain sight.. (Even though it was on the floor it was still in plain sight) maybe Mexico is not the place for you....

Yes, you heard from me because your post bordered on uncivil and callous.  I know you are accustomed to posting like this on TOB but here we are striving (not always successfully) to create an environment of civility and tolerance for others.  As I said, you made good points, all of which have been made here by others in the past, just please try and be nicer about it.  Thanks.

Sorry to hear about your stolen walllet.

but please go to your bank manager and ask about banks ATM cards and rules. in mexico your screwed till you tell bank your card was stolen.

they probably have a friend a soriana or other business, they know, they can empty your bank account with withdrawals.

I know someone where 42,000 pesos were withdrawn

in one day. 

follow up with video from soriana, and see if cashier was involved

Also try not to go to bankcomer ATM on the weekends. Husband had a thief grab his card put another card in and then ran. If I didn't go home right away and get phone to block card. (It took almost 2 hrs.) The robber hit another ATM for 2 deposits. He had no PIN number. Then Walmart & soriana. Husbands signature on back. Added up to over 62,000p we made a dispute with the bank. On all charges. We are at next complaint dept. they will let us know there answers in 20 days. We need to come together and look out for one another. The robbers pic was on the wall inside the bank, but not posted on outside window. People need to demand the bank do some changes as we are targets for thieves. Maybe security guard on weekend. Post posters outside. And don't be ashamed to tell people to protect them. Can't add pic of him, he is #7147 on poster. Baby face 

6 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

Except for this part your post was informative.  But that you don't give a ?  Very rude and ignorant!   You did not have to write that line.

1 hour ago, El Cartero said:

Except for this part your post was informative.  But that you don't give a ?  Very rude and ignorant!   You did not have to write that line.

I agree - there is no need to lecture victums of crime to take care of themselves. They have already learnt a painful lesson. 

On 7/21/2017 at 11:26 AM, moderator-2 said:

MC wins my vote for post of the day.

I have written "ask for ID" on the signature line of all my cards. More times that not, the cashier will ask. 

On 7/21/2017 at 8:18 AM, pappysmarket said:

Just like using your ATM card at Costco, you just sign and don't use your PIN. Can't get cash but lots of merchandise.

My photograph is on my Costco card and I believe that they always look at the photo before they ring me up. I used my husband's card at the pharmacy once, and they questioned me. I indicated my husband, who was a few steps away, and then they rang me up. 

Archived