Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

A million questions


Recommended Posts

I just stepped off the bus so to speak and have so many questions that my mind can't even complete one before it starts another.  I just got internet today (so easy and only took 24 hours - take that Comcast/ATT.) I started researching each one but even with doing an advanced search with dates, some of the questions had outdated info or not what I specifically needed.  So I'm doing the lazy nerd approach with throwing them all out there and hoping you kind folks will remember your first days and have pity.... Even if you can only answer one it will be one less toss and turn I have to do at night :)

If there is a post with all this info that would be great too!

Question one:  I need suggestions for where to have custom curtains made.  The walls of nothing but windows looked great when I bought the house but the first afternoon made it clear that there was a big need for sun blockage. Store bought will not work. I already have the best Walmare can do but it covers the windows like shorts cover bottoms in LA.  

Question two: Trash??? I'm in La Floresta. What day is there garbage service? Do you need city issued bins? Is it wise to put out boxes from new products (in the States that could be like yelling "burgle me. I have new stuff.") Is there any recycling? Recycling center?  

Question three: How do you store food to avoid ants and other fine critters?  I already have a party started in my dog food which was solved by a trip to Wally World and a plastic tub.  Can ANY food item be left on a counter-top (I'm thinking bananas, potatoes, and other things that don't take kindly to confinement.) 

Question four: Speaking of critters, how do you keep skeeters off your pets?  And what is the best/least offensive replant for people? One of the first people I met told me they carry some horrid human bone disease. I moved here from Houston where they were as big as buzzards but...

Question five: Propane? How do I know when I need more? How do you get more?  Is there a Propane Fairy that magically appears?

Question six: Are lanes/one-way streets/parking spaces just a suggestion? And how does one avoid getting killed when crossing the main highway?

Question seven: Agua?  I saw when I went to look at appliances today that they had stand alone water filters.  I also saw a fridge with ice/water in the door that I liked but didn't know how they worked with the water pressure here. What is the advantage/disadvantage to the filters vs the bottle water delivery vs in the door fridge? And how hard is the water here? Do I need to put filtered water in things like the iron?

Question eight: How do I find a handyman with some English. I have a little Spanish but it would be great if we could meet in the middle.  I got taken advantage of so many times in the States by handymen/contractors that I'm already twice bitten.  Heck - check that - i'll pantomime what I need if someone can just suggestion an honest person.  I intend to pay well.  I don't intend to have my ladder walk off.  

Question nine: What is the best source for restaurant reviews? Is there an online list of restaurants that allow dogs on the patios?  Are there any that I should avoid no matter how adventuresome I am? I am trying my best to shove it in the faces of my American friends watching this whole move that Mexico is not the home of food poisoning. That title belongs to the Golden Corral in Pasadena.  

Question ten: Best hardware store?  I know I will have to make trips to GLD to get some strange things I need like a tiny rake to pooper scoop, but I would like to support local.  

Question eleven: Why do so many cars have broken side mirrors?

Question twelve: Is there anywhere locally I can get security camera's? It isn't that I distrust people - I just like watching my dogs when I'm out. 

Question fourteen: Is it likely that La Floresta will ever get faster internet? I just had one terabyte for two months in Houston. I love roughing it but.... 

Question fifteen: How long is it going to be before someone posts I missed question thirteen? 

Thank you in advance!!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Haha, loved the headline of your post. It reminded me of a guest we had at our BnB many years ago. The first morning she told me she had a million questions and she was lying, she had more than that. I finally slowed her down a couple of mornings later. She spotted a bird near the pool and shouted "What's the name of that bird?" I replied "Oh, that's Herald, he comes almost every morning." She decided I wasn't the best source of info.......Thank God.

Curtains..... We needed lots of drapes/curtains for our sliding glass doors here in PV. Did a bunch of checking and comparing and found the perfect solution on Amazon US and they have been perfect and cheaper than anyone wants to make curtains for Gringos here.

YMMV

Welcome and you'll get lots of ideas.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Haha, loved the headline of your post. It reminded me of a guest we had at our BnB many years ago. The first morning she told me she had a million questions and she was lying, she had more than that. I finally slowed her down a couple of mornings later. She spotted a bird near the pool and shouted "What's the name of that bird?" I replied "Oh, that's Herald, he comes almost every morning." She decided I wasn't the best source of info.......Thank God.

Curtains..... We needed lots of drapes/curtains for our sliding glass doors here in PV. Did a bunch of checking and comparing and found the perfect solution on Amazon US and they have been perfect and cheaper than anyone wants to make curtains for Gringos here.

YMMV

Welcome and you'll get lots of ideas.

I met Herald. Nice bird as far as birds go. Did mesh better with his brother Hector though. But that is just me. 

Amazon US? This leads to more questions. I was told delivery here was hit or miss. Does Amazon US delivery guarantee apply for orders here? How do they treat Prime Orders? What about Amazon MX? 

(I can't find anything on Amazon US more than 84" that still leaves 24" of gap.)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, TheBestSideOfTheWall said:

I just stepped off the bus so to speak and have so many questions that my mind can't even complete one before it starts another.  I just got internet today (so easy and only took 24 hours - take that Comcast/ATT.) I started researching each one but even with doing an advanced search with dates, some of the questions had outdated info or not what I specifically needed.  So I'm doing the lazy nerd approach with throwing them all out there and hoping you kind folks will remember your first days and have pity.... Even if you can only answer one it will be one less toss and turn I have to do at night :)

If there is a post with all this info that would be great too!

Question one:  I need suggestions for where to have custom curtains made.  The walls of nothing but windows looked great when I bought the house but the first afternoon made it clear that there was a big need for sun blockage. Store bought will not work. I already have the best Walmare can do but it covers the windows like shorts cover bottoms in LA. 

Custom curtains from Mari-Chuy at Jazmin Cortinas which is directly behind Actinver on the highway. Kitty corner to Farmacia de Guadalajara. She also has curtain rods etc. various styles. Phone for an appointment to get an estimate... 766-1212 

Question two: Trash??? I'm in La Floresta. What day is there garbage service? To you need city issued bins? Is it wise to put out boxes from new products (in the States that could be like yelling "burgle me. I have new stuff.") Is there any recycling? Recycling center?

Better to ask your neighbours about timing and where to take it. Flattening out boxes doesn't scream so loud and most of the trucks do recycle and appreciate recyclables being separated.   

Question three: How do you store food to avoid ants and other fine critters?  I already have a party started in my dog food which was solved by a trip to Wally World and a plastic tub.  Can ANY food item be left on a counter-top (I'm thinking bananas, potatoes, and other things that don't take kindly to confinement.)

I do put my bananas on top of a glass canister. Rubbermaid will become your best friend. 

Question four: Speaking of critters, how do you keep skeeters off your pets?  And what is the best/least offensive replant for people? One of the first people I met told me they carry some horrid human bone disease. I moved here from Houston where they were as big as buzzards but...

It depends on the pet and I would ask a local vet. If you can find citronella plants, I have scrunched some leaves and then run my hands over my dogs. It will take a bit of work to make your home skeeter proof but downward fans are the best deterrent. After living in this house for a year, I have hardly any mosquitoes at all. Bye bye to the fountain, and planted citronella and lavender. YMMV

Question five: Propane? How do I know when I need more? How do you get more?  Is there a Propane Fairy that magically appears?

Assuming it's a stationary 300 litre tank... flip the lid on the top to read the gauge. Usually fill to the 80 or 85% mark and don't go below 50% so you won't experience sticker shock. Everyone has their favourite "guy". Mine is Javier and he drives a Los Altos truck 766-0790 or cell phone 331-517-8008.

Question six: Are lanes/one-way streets/parking spaces just a suggestion? And how does one avoid getting killed when crossing the main highway?

They aren't suggestions. Run like hell or cross at the lights.

Question seven: Agua?  I saw when I went to look at appliances today that they had stand alone water filters.  I also saw a fridge with ice/water in the door that I liked but didn't know how they worked with the water pressure here. What is the advantage/disadvantage to the filters vs the bottle water delivery vs in the door fridge? And how hard is the water here? Do I need to put filtered water in things like the iron?

I guess the question is whether you have pressurized water or not? I don't and put a small water purification system under the kitchen sink which works fine with a gravity feed tinaco. I can't lift the big water bottles anymore. The water is very hard here... and iron is a four letter word. Personally, fancy fridges that make ice and chill water are just things that break. YMMV

I'm done for the evening. Others will help you too...there are more than enough opinions to go around on this forum.

 

38 minutes ago, TheBestSideOfTheWall said:

Question eight: How do I find a handyman with some English. I have a little Spanish but it would be great if we could meet in the middle.  I got taken advantage of so many times in the States by handymen/contractors that I'm already twice bitten.  Heck - check that - i'll pantomime what I need if someone can just suggestion an honest person.  I intend to pay well.  I don't intend to have my ladder walk off.  

Question nine: What is the best source for restaurant reviews? Is there an online list of restaurants that allow dogs on the patios?  Are there any that I should avoid no matter how adventuresome I am? I am trying my best to shove it in the faces of my American friends watching this whole move that Mexico is not the home of food poisoning. That title belongs to the Golden Corral in Pasadena.  

Question ten: Best hardware store?  I know I will have to make trips to GLD to get some strange things I need like a tiny rake to pooper scoop, but I would like to support local.  

Question eleven: Why do so many cars have broken side mirrors?

Question twelve: Is there anywhere locally I can get security camera's? It isn't that I distrust people - I just like watching my dogs when I'm out. 

Question fourteen: Is it likely that La Floresta will ever gets faster internet? I just had one terabyte for two months in Houston. I love roughing it but.... 

Question fifteen: How long is it going to be before someone posts I missed question thirteen? 

Thank you in advance!!!!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's a great job Ferret!

One item on the trash pick up.  Your trash is picked up by La Floresta, not Chapala luckily for you.  You should contact the La Floresta office during the day and they'll give you the lowdown on the when, what and where of trash pickups over there.  They do a great job of it and have modern equipment.

I've had the best luck with workers getting information on this board plus talking to the old hands in the neighborhood when I see stuff getting done.

Jara, over by TelMex in Ajijic has a lady in there from the U.S. that speaks perfect English.  One of the guys in my favorite hardware store, the one in San Antonio next to HandyMail also can help out with the language.  What I do is look up the vocabulary for the stuff I need before I go so I can ask for it in Spanish properly.

Knock on wood, in 9 years never had a side mirror problem.  When parking on a really narrow street, like Ajijic for example, fold the street side mirror in.  Also keep your car off the street when at home and learn the places to avoid, for example IMO the SuperLake parking lot.  Better to park a block away and walk there, it is a demolition derby.

Yes, there are several that do security cameras.  I expect someone here will give you some recommendations.  You can also see what Steren has, over there across from WalMart.

If you think the internet is slow now, you should have seen it 9 years ago.  Almost dial up speed.  Forget about those blistering speeds you had in the U.S., just not coming here anytime soon.  It is fast enough now we can stream our TV but only in the last couple of years.

Welcome and don't hesitate to ask questions.  You can also use the search function on this board as probably many questions you have, have been addressed recently.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

#11  because people park too far off the curb.  If you are more that 1" from the curb, you are in danger.  Fold in your mirror anyway.

Sometimes you can get a "twofer" get a mirror on each side at the same time.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Regarding ants: I leave fresh fruit: limons, apples, etc on the countertop, no problem. What I find is the tiny sugar ants and a couple of other small varieties come for different reasons. One, toward the end of the dry season, they are desperately looking for water, and will find it wherever they can. Two, small bits of fat or cooked items left off the edge of your cutting board, or dribbles of anything sweet, will bring them out in droves, but they seem to stay off my cutting boards (wood or plastic).

I'm sure that under our lawns are unbelievably vast networks of ant tunnels, and I use a standard powdered ant killer that every store has... but those large types of ants rarely care to come inside. They will strip a whole bush in a few hours, when they want; luckily, the bushes usually appreciate it and grow back stronger than ever.

I spray a mixture of 50/50 water/vinegar on plants and trees that I want to protect.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Question 9 - Here is one restaurant blog (little out of date); http://lakechapalarestaurantguide.blogspot.mx/
Question 10 - personally I bought a kids sand kit. I use the rake or shovel and a plastic bag lined small garbage can to poop scoop; used it for 3 years.

Question 12 - Security Cameras; Not sure about locally but Costco.com.mx has some; you could check with Ruben at Computerland in Riberas (next to Tepuhua Treasures); Steren (across from Walmart). I know there are companies locally that do it. Maybe others will chime in but I think SOSE Security in Chapala (Morales 172)

There are several Facebook groups that could answer a lot of your questions. These are a few but there are lots more:

Gringos Ajijic & Lakeside - https://www.facebook.com/groups/397945103600106/ 

Beg, Barter Buy & Sell - https://www.facebook.com/groups/785666514831385/

BBB&S Lake Chapala - Fur, Fins & Feathers (animals) - https://www.facebook.com/groups/884995861533687/

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You got a lot of great advice.  I am here many years and agree with everything Ferret wrote.  Jara was suggested for a hardware store as fluent English is spoken by a woman who works there, but even more important is the fact that they have a huge warehouse behnd the store that can usually cough up what you are looking for.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Question 1. You got good advice for drapes. If you want any type of blinds or shades you can get them made fairly reasonably at Quick Blinds. They are located in the same strip mall as Superlake. We have been very happy with their service. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Question 3. Keep ALL your drains covered to help control the big brown bugs. Treat perimeter, especially entries for ants. 

Question 4. I use Advantix II for my puppy, and Cutter Skinsations for me. 

Question 7. I would consider a water purification system if you own the casa. H2Ole can help.

Question 8. There are apps for that (Translating) I will never forget how delighted my housekeeper was the first time I used one. 

Best businesses, services, restaurants, try bestoflakechapala.com 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...