Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Fast/ Mexican Food


Recommended Posts

First, I love living here and never plan to return north. However,at the risk of a  certain reaction of the Expreme Mexico Lovers/Purists, after seeing a commercial for Taco Belle, I really wish Taco Belle would arrive here for higher quality Mexican food. While further alienting the purists, why don't we have good fast food here from McD Or Burger K? The hamburgers here are either bad or very expensive..

Link to post
Share on other sites

This food can raise your sodium levels off the chart, but to each his own. I will agree that a good burger can be hard to find. I ordered a burger once at Coffee Hour in Chapala. Mystery meat city.  It was sooooooo bad I couldn't even complain  and ask for something else.  Whatever that was between a soggy white bun wasn't meat. This pasty kind of reddish brown stuff was unbelievably gross.

When I'm hungry for a good burger, I fry one up from ground beef I get at Tony's. Can't really beat it in my opinion.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, carphil said:

First, I love living here and never plan to return north. However,at the risk of a  certain reaction of the Expreme Mexico Lovers/Purists, after seeing a commercial for Taco Belle, I really wish Taco Belle would arrive here for higher quality Mexican food. While further alienting the purists, why don't we have good fast food here from McD Or Burger K? The hamburgers here are either bad or very expensive..

"higher quality"? Holy cow, what is your differentiator? Mexican food is Mexican food, and just like home, some places are better than others, and some are awful. I can tell you that the gals that make tacos every night on the plaza in San Antonio de Tlayacapan are among the best.

Is your perspective based solely on Lakeside perhaps?

And Taco Bell is not Mexican food. It's American food. If you like it, that's great, but seriously, let's get on the same page here. dude. Amd you will find plenty of MacDonald's and Burger Kings in Guadalajara.

I just got back from Canada, and a burger at 5 Guys or The Works starts at $14 and goes up... so consider your cost comparisons carefully.

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the sarcasm font would have been in order as we all know Taco Bell is not Mexican Food. 

But I will agree that I miss a good fast food fix. It seems the population number would support a McD's or KFC but I doubt the income base is enough. Those chains are really firm about the numbers being solid. There were fast food free areas of Houston if you removed the Jack in the Boxes. They seem to have the lowest threshold. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, carphil said:

you claim how wonderfulk the tacos are here. In my experience they have a little mush and a lot of tortilla. Have had some good tacos in Guad. Why have to goi to Guad for good fast food?

Study the area here a little and you will find financial and demographics reasons why there are almost no U.S. style fast food joints. We do have a Subway, if that helps your cravings. But my idea of fast food these days is a half chicken from any one of a zillion roadside stands.

Now, I told you about a single taco place that is easy to find, has been around forever, and makes delicious tacos. So you haven't experienced what I have experienced. And I don't claim "how wonderfulk the tacos are here": in this case, it's a fact.

And I can tell you a little secret: this is Mexico; many people are poor; and tortillas are inexpensive to make and fill you up, just like rice in Asian countries. But more importantly, two tortillas keep the thing from falling apart after you've loaded it up with toppings. The lady that cleans my house buys two kilos a day to help feed her family, and in 15 years I've seen store-bought tortillas go from a 5 peso/kilo subsidized cost to 15 frikkin' pesos. That's a pretty heavy load on many households.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Computer Guy. I agree with you 100%. Alot of gringos that live down here are looking for "Little America". They could care less about blending with the culture in a culinary sense, or any other sense that makes sense. So they are looking for fast food as we knew it in the Excited States.  You also have to realize that some gringos without Spanish would do a circus act to not have to talk to a Mexican.They don't want to go to San Antonio and try the tacos because they might have to memorize/practice a simple line to order something. Not  prejudiced thing. It's just that the language overwhelms them. See it all the time. Gringolandia is a fascinating anthropological study.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, virgogirl said:

Computer Guy. I agree with you 100%. Alot of gringos that live down here are looking for "Little America". They could care less about blending with the culture in a culinary sense, or any other sense that makes sense. So they are looking for fast food as we knew it in the Excited States.  You also have to realize that some gringos without Spanish would do a circus act to not have to talk to a Mexican.They don't want to go to San Antonio and try the tacos because they might have to memorize/practice a simple line to order something. Not  prejudiced thing. It's just that the language overwhelms them. See it all the time. Gringolandia is a fascinating anthropological study.

Why are you so fascinated by what other people find enjoyable and wish they could enjoy  again? Enjoy life and don't worry about all these other horrible people you see hanging around Gringolandia as you call it. Didn't you leave here some time ago to return NOB? What brought you back to this land of the unwashed?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Taco Bell started as mostly hamburger meat in a hard shell, right? My first one exploded all over the place when I bit into it; I just decided that wasn't my style. That was years before I hit Mexico and tried the "real" thing. I'm sure they taste great.

On another note, I love fajitas. But only the ones in Ottawa at The Lone Star, started by a couple of ex-NFL buds. They cook over mesquite, and I'm sure they use some kind of liquid mequite flavouring as well, because you won't anything like them elsewhere. Fajitas are a TexMex food, and here in my house I buy a pack of Lowrey's fajita mix (powdered) at SuperLake, and stir it into pan-seared hamburger. It ain't a "fajita", but I love it just the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Taco Bell started as mostly hamburger meat in a hard shell, right? My first one exploded all over the place when I bit into it; I just decided that wasn't my style. That was years before I hit Mexico and tried the "real" thing. I'm sure they taste great.

On another note, I love fajitas. But only the ones in Ottawa at The Lone Star, started by a couple of ex-NFL buds. They cook over mesquite, and I'm sure they use some kind of liquid mequite flavouring as well, because you won't anything like them elsewhere. Fajitas are a TexMex food, and here in my house I buy a pack of Lowrey's fajita mix (powdered) at SuperLake, and stir it into pan-seared hamburger. It ain't a "fajita", but I love it just the same.

Amen to that, whatever floats your boat. Our Mexican friend Kina spent quite a bit of time in San Antonio, Texas that is. Actually she spent too much time there and now she still has almost 5 years until she can go back, LOL. She mentioned liking Taco Bell (no E on the end) and we said, what? What do your Mexican friends think of you liking Taco Bell? She said, are you kidding, they all like TB. So what do you like on their menu? Everything, they get the flavor and spices just the way we like it. Then she says next time you go to TB  take a look around. You won't see a whole lot of Pink People. Memory bank kicks in and, wow, she's right. So you like TB better than that great Mexican food in SA? No, I love them both, it doesn't have to be one or the other. Amen to that too.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

When I moved from Connecticut to Southern California in 1974, my new neighbor asked if I wanted to go get Mexican food for lunch. I had never had Mexican food before. She took me to Taco Bell. I loved it. At that time there were only two actual Mexican restaurants in town and I eventually got around to trying them. Loved them too. After that I understood that Taco Bell was fast food I really enjoyed. It was fast, cheap, and tasty. I also understood that Burger King and McDonald's were fast food. If I wanted a hamburger I made them or went to  one of the several cafes in town. 

Carphil, there are several places where I enjoy what I consider good hamburgers. I am curious what places you have eaten hamburgers you consider terrible? 

Virgo Girl, I laughed out loud at your Coffee Hour hamburger experience. Several years ago I had one there. You describe it perfectly! They have good sandwiches and salads but I can not believe that "burger"  is still on the menu!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently met a Mexican American man from San Antonio, Texas - he says it is 70% Spanish speaking now, and surprisingly (to him) the English speakers are trying to learn Spanish. The best food is slow food, not fast food - always has been, always will be. If you don't believe that, try pork shank chammoros at Fogon Charlotte, or anywhere that serves birria.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

Amen to that, whatever floats your boat. Our Mexican friend Kina spent quite a bit of time in San Antonio, Texas that is. Actually she spent too much time there and now she still has almost 5 years until she can go back, LOL. She mentioned liking Taco Bell (no E on the end) and we said, what? What do your Mexican friends think of you liking Taco Bell? She said, are you kidding, they all like TB. So what do you like on their menu? Everything, they get the flavor and spices just the way we like it. Then she says next time you go to TB  take a look around. You won't see a whole lot of Pink People. Memory bank kicks in and, wow, she's right. So you like TB better than that great Mexican food in SA? No, I love them both, it doesn't have to be one or the other. Amen to that too.

When I lived in CA, the most popular "Mexican food" with Mexicans, based on the long lines of workers at lunchtime was Taco Bell.  There were other Mexican food restaurants around town, but Taco Bell was the "it" place.    Even for "pink people".

Burgers?  My fave is now Cocinart's sirloin burger.  Comes with large patty plus cheese and bacon if you want it.  Side salad.  Great tasting meat. $65 pesos.  I can live with that happily.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, gringal said:

When I lived in CA, the most popular "Mexican food" with Mexicans, based on the long lines of workers at lunchtime was Taco Bell.  There were other Mexican food restaurants around town, but Taco Bell was the "it" place.    Even for "pink people"

I think you would find it is all food trucks these days - they go where the workers are, often even run weekly accounts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

I think you would find it is all food trucks these days - they go where the workers are, often even run weekly accounts.

They've been doing that for a very long time.  Taco Bell need not fret.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been here 7 yeays. And yes I do speak functional spanish. Thanks for confirming that Mexicans seem to prefer Taco  Bell.  As someone said -, different strokes. I feel there are many good restaurants here and some even serve decent hamburgers. Still miss McD! Call me cheap and commercial!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Study the area here a little and you will find financial and demographics reasons why there are almost no U.S. style fast food joints. We do have a Subway, if that helps your cravings. But my idea of fast food these days is a half chicken from any one of a zillion roadside stands.

Now, I told you about a single taco place that is easy to find, has been around forever, and makes delicious tacos. So you haven't experienced what I have experienced. And I don't claim "how wonderfulk the tacos are here": in this case, it's a fact.

And I can tell you a little secret: this is Mexico; many people are poor; and tortillas are inexpensive to make and fill you up, just like rice in Asian countries. But more importantly, two tortillas keep the thing from falling apart after you've loaded it up with toppings. The lady that cleans my house buys two kilos a day to help feed her family, and in 15 years I've seen store-bought tortillas go from a 5 peso/kilo subsidized cost to 15 frikkin' pesos. That's a pretty heavy load on many households.

All the chicken stands give you tortillas, most throw some onions and jalapenos in the bag.  There's your fast food AND your taco.

Most fast food IMO is not good food.  As someone else said, the "flavor" in McD's and other FF burgers is salt.  Lots of it.  

Gossips does an excellent burger (and often has a special burger on offer); Brunos burger al carbon is excellent, too.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember great hamburgers with pickle & onion and a small coke, at Nick‘s, just across the street from my high school:  $0.50 in 1951.  Had to save up to treat a date, since the juke box also needed coins.  To this day, I cannot be forced into one of the modern fast food burger franchises.  What they serve is pure junk; not even junk done well.

Is that white hamburger truck still around Chapala centro, near the mercado, in the evenings?  They were actually pretty good.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

All the chicken stands give you tortillas, most throw some onions and jalapenos in the bag.  There's your fast food AND your taco.

Most fast food IMO is not good food.  As someone else said, the "flavor" in McD's and other FF burgers is salt.  Lots of it.  

Gossips does an excellent burger (and often has a special burger on offer); Brunos burger al carbon is excellent, too.  

I don't eat the tortillas; the onions, yes. In fact, I try NOT to get tortillas with the chicken because I just throw them out when I get home (or save them if it's a brief period for any workers around). So for me, it's just chicken. And in fact, there is no scientific proof that salt is bad for your heart or your blood pressure. So that's the story I stick to, lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, carphil said:

I have been here 7 yeays. And yes I do speak functional spanish. Thanks for confirming that Mexicans seem to prefer Taco  Bell.

I don't think that is the case, or there would be Taco Bells on every corner in Mexico.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

I remember great hamburgers with pickle & onion and a small coke, at Nick‘s, just across the street from my high school:  $0.50 in 1951.  Had to save up to treat a date, since the juke box also needed coins.  To this day, I cannot be forced into one of the modern fast food burger franchises.  What they serve is pure junk; not even junk done well.

Is that white hamburger truck still around Chapala centro, near the mercado, in the evenings?  They were actually pretty good.

I think your pricing is probably remembered incorrectly, because it was better than that... in grade 8 in my home town, Ottawa, a hamburger at Sam's joint was 15 cents in 1965-6. 5 cents extra for fries.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...