Chapala.com Webboard

Tuesday, a nice looking young Mexican man came in to our shop and asked if he could look around. He selected one our glass cases that sells for $80 pesos. Opened his wallet and, low and behold, all he had was a $500 peso bill. Being the dummy that I am, I gladly gave him change. Last night, we went to Prisa paint and imagine our surprise when they showed us that the bill was bad. We will have the bill at our shop if anyone wants to see it. Cuidado!

8 hours ago, heidinrick said:

Tuesday, a nice looking young Mexican man came in to our shop and asked if he could look around. He selected one our glass cases that sells for $80 pesos. Opened his wallet and, low and behold, all he had was a $500 peso bill. Being the dummy that I am, I gladly gave him change. Last night, we went to Prisa paint and imagine our surprise when they showed us that the bill was bad. We will have the bill at our shop if anyone wants to see it. Cuidado!

Where is your shop located?

Costco sells a reasonably priced counterfeit bill lamp to check bills for the security features. 

6 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Best thing to do with a counterfeit bill is to leave it in with your I.D. If you get stopped by a crooked Transito, say you only have a 500, he will think he has struck the motherload - until he tries to cash it.

So, from this statement, you advocate for continuing the propagation of fake money. And by implication, that the Transitos are ALL corrupt. Such a well thought out strategy on how to live here.

7 minutes ago, Intercasa said:

Costco sells a reasonably priced counterfeit bill lamp to check bills for the security features. 

Yeah, all the Transitos have one.

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

Yeah, all the Transitos have one.

Well no, but a business might want to have one.  Good information!

As for the Transitos, my momma told me to never mess with people who have guns and badges.  I'll admit the idea of passing the bad bill as Transito mordida makes me chuckle but I sure ain't gonna try it.

Yeah, I had a Transito pull his gun on me one time in Gdl. Phony stop for mordida, I asked for the ticket and he said no I'll tow your car. OK, here are the keys. No, we need to "just take care of this". No, give me the ticket or I'm going to leave, my wife needs to use the bathroom at the Pemex right over there. Draws gun and says give me some cash and your wife can use the bathroom. I gave him some cash.

No, it was a great reminder to not listen to all the clutter that was coming out of LCS at the time. "Get the officer's name, badge number, license plate, stand up for your rights, no mordidas." If I had tried doing any of those things I might not be around to pester folks the way I do, LOL.

No snide remarks por favor.

my bogus $500 was confiscated by the bank teller when I tried to get change.  Ripped off a corner so I could verify with the merchant where I got it.   I was repaying a favor and made change for someone trying to make a small purchase.  Another reason why local stores don't like to take $500s.    I got stuck w the loss, but learned a lesson. 

19 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Yeah, I had a Transito pull his gun on me one time in Gdl. Phony stop for mordida, I asked for the ticket and he said no I'll tow your car. OK, here are the keys. No, we need to "just take care of this". No, give me the ticket or I'm going to leave, my wife needs to use the bathroom at the Pemex right over there. Draws gun and says give me some cash and your wife can use the bathroom. I gave him some cash.

I think that is armed robbery and should have been reported.

Once I was stopped for no reason in Altamira, Veracruz by a transito. He claimed I was speeding while I crept in the right lane of a six lane street. I got out of the car and held my hands up like I was getting arrested and that stopped the traffic to watch. After he got tired of the cameras flashing he said I was crazy and walked off. 

Archived