Chapala.com Webboard

Mexico Lap Top Ban

Ain't flying fun these days?

My wife just got back from the U.K. when this new policy was being discussed.  She wisely decided to take only her IPhone 6 on the trip and was very glad she did so.  That thing is pretty amazing, like a minicomputer and pretty darned good camera all rolled into a telephone.

Well, I'll be flying to the U.S. tomorrow with my laptop in tow.  It shall be interesting to discover what sort of additional security hassle I might encounter as a result.  I'll update this thread if it is anything out of the ordinary.

In the article linked by the OP, I did not see any specific mention that carry-on laptops were being "banned" on flights to the U.S. from Mexico.  I believe the title of this thread may be a bit misleading.

20 minutes ago, barcelonaman said:

More bad information.

Its not a ban.

Only extended reviewing of personal items .allow more time at airport.

http://m.milenio.com/negocios/revisiones_vuelos_eu-seguridad-aerolineas-sct-revisaran_smartphones-celulares-milenio_0_995900445.html

What was unclear to me is whether everyone will be subject to these extended security times or just those packing laptops and things like IPads.

11 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

What was unclear to me is whether everyone will be subject to these extended security times or just those packing laptops and things like IPads.

Laptops and tablets on U.S.-bound flights from Mexico will be subjected to heightened carry-on security measures beginning Wednesday at the request of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Mexican authorities announced.

Mexico's Transportation Department said in a statement that the measures apply to "electronics larger than a cellphone."

http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/news/article_da66cfbc-6c91-11e7-b4dc-9359fc55fe65.html

Didn't I read that not only did you have to take your laptop out of say your backpack but also out of it's holder?  It didn't sound like we had much more to do, but it didn't seem to be clear about was if the laptops will be checked in a new scanner which might take more time.

It's not a ban.. If you have an electronic device bigger than a cell phone you COULD BE subject a secondary search..  This will be all flights heading to the US..If you have a cell phone, laptop, IPad they have to be charged i.e. Capable of being turned on.

Just came back from Canada via the U.S. Tablets are removed from knapsacks, as are phones and eReaders, for a quick look... just like always. No problems there. So yes, until we know the "measures"... meh.

I don't stand a chance! Between my artificial hips and my laptop TSA (Thousands Standing Around) are gonna know I'm up to no good. I'll be in line for hours.

Last time I flew was just about ten months ago and at that time they were stopping anybody with a Galaxy 7 Edge phone. Luckily I had the slightly older Galaxy 7 and they let me pass.

I doubt that anyone WANTS to fly anymore. The airlines have generally made it untenable. Just because I had a good recent trip doesn't negate the price gouging and the limited number of connections. Not to mention the constant jockeying of already-paid-for flights and seat assignments.

We flew to the US 2 weeks ago and they said all laptop & devices just needed to go in the trays, no big deal, I had my phone and IPad and the didn't make me take my IPad out of its cute little case. Flying back today, out of 4 flight, we thought Volaris was the worst, no drinks, no snacks and the flight attendants all thought they were Diva Bitches, they were not nice at all.

Alaska had free beer and wine and very nice people!

Flew out of GDL this week (July 2017) with laptop, Ipad, cellular. Absolutely the same as the past 10 years. In USA leaving on international flight to Caribbean exactly the same. Laptops and tablets need to be in a separate bin for scanning. That rule has existed for years, but was not always enforced. 

2 minutes ago, hensley said:

We are at the Vegas airport right now and we had no bag check, didn't take anything out of our bags or anything, going through TSA.

I think it only applies only to US bound flights.

I always take my small laptop out of my backpack and lay it in a separate plastic bucket where the screeners can screen it when entering the US.. The one added job would be to take the laptop out of its tight fitting cloth protective container that I would always leave it in, something which would take an extra minute or two.

Archived