Chapala.com Webboard

FYI - electronic devices on flights to US

bournemouth

Flew out of GDL for USA this week (July 2017)  arrived 2hrs early for an 8AM flight . (airlines have been saying 3 hours for years) . Traveled with laptop, Ipad and cellular. No problem whatsoever.

In USA I went thru security to leave for international (again with all electronic) 25 minutes before boarding time no problem.  Laptops and tablets need to be in a seperate tray, but that has always been the  rule.. 

Three hours for international flights, right? I got to Ottawa International at 3:30 for a 6am flight. There were only a very few staff in the whole place, and not for my airline. I found one fellow who told me they never come until two hours before. So I asked a counter person, when they did show up around 4, whatswidat? She said, "Ah, we're small. We don't do the three hour thing. Two hours is plently". I wonder if one can check by airport to see who else does this?

• 2 weeks later...

Just flew in and out of Mexico, US and Canada.  The TSA specifically doesn't care about phones or tablets and these can stay in your carry-on.  Computers need to be in a separate bin.  No shoes off except coming south from Seattle, otherwise no one else cares.  And don't worry about bottles in a quart bag as no one has cared about that for several years.  Two hours for international flights unless security is a really long process and usually it is not.  When you do online check-in, the airlines state two hours for arrival at the counter and one hour at the gate (like they know when you arrive at the gate).  Airlines are making traveling a most unpleasant experience.

It is different at different airports. Depends on the staff and the policies. My phone and tablet were subject to removal from my backpack; they were stuck into trays. My water bottle was not allowed through (I don't know what you mean when you say "bottles in a quart bag"). This was entering Detroit after leaving Mexico City, and entering Monterrey after leaving Ottawa, Canada.

On 7/19/2017 at 9:09 AM, bournemouth said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/97f31487-b069-3212-a529-a77d3843b80d/ss_electronic-devices-on.html

You will need to arrive at the airport three hours early for flights to the US.

Am a former airline employee. I always check they type and of aircraft before I decide what time to get to the import. If it is a jet that holds 180 then I plan for 2-2 1/2 hours ahead of time. If it is a smaller plane like American Eagle which holds 76 then I know 1hr 45min is plenty of time. Also depends on the airline. If AA or Alaska, DL or one of the airlines that only has one flight out of GDL around that time you don't need to be there really early. If Volaris or a carrier that has lots of flights then you know the lines will be long. If leaving from a major airport in the U.S. then you need to give yourself plenty of time.

Archived