Chapala.com Webboard

If you could turn back time

50 minutes ago, betty7 said:

sooo hud, run this by me. its bigoted to want to leave the area? racist to regret moving here? these days these nonwords just mean: "i dont like you because you dont like what i like". looks like there are several "ists" roaming the forum. shame on you for moving to another part of mexico or god forbid the evil USA! :o

No, betty7, that is NOT what I said. I said that when someone speaks the truth they often are called "racist", etc. You and menudo are NOT who I am referring to. If you need more info from me, just drop a message to me, ok?.

Having lived here a decade and having wandered around the world a bit in my younger days, I would have moved here sooner.  5-8 years earlier.  

But you have to understand, I just came here for a years vacation.  That was easy.  Leaving is what I can't seem to do.....

I have only lived here for four days so my "would you still move here" opinion doesn't count but I am surprised by the answers here. 

Not having know what Lakeside was ten years ago, I'm left only with my observation that places rarely are what they were ten years ago because change is inevitable. 

I have family complaining that the small town they are in is dying. And after living downtown in the US's largest city, hearing complaints about road widening seems so subjective. Progress or the lack of it effects people differently when it comes to income and preferred lifestyle. Hence why we have become so nomadic these days  

(Eventually someone will have to explain to me "suburb of GLD" as it seems to be a negative. For now I'm just happy know here is not downtown Houston.)

Lake Chapala is definitely not dying.  The traffic appears to increase monthly.  When you read forum comments many people are yet planning to move to the area.  It's vibrant, with opportunities to spend your time enjoying being with others and a whole country and culture to discover.  Add the weather, friendliness of all inhabitants and we're "where it's at".

I moved there 10 years ago Sept, lived there 7 years and returned NOB for what I expected to be 18 months max - but returning didn't happen. I wouldn't change the move I made in 2007, it was a great adventure. But now I'm on the outside of the bubble looking back in, I'm not returning. Mexico has changed, I've changed and that chapter of my life is closed. I loved the house I rented, I miss friends and of course I miss the weather. I lived there 10% of my life which I never planned or imagined I'd do, but now that time is past. I go to Cuidad Acuna every few months to shop and it brings back good memories which I'll always retain, that's Mexico's legacy gift to me.

On 7/20/2017 at 10:34 PM, TheBestSideOfTheWall said:

I have only lived here for four days so my "would you still move here" opinion doesn't count but I am surprised by the answers here. 

Not having know what Lakeside was ten years ago, I'm left only with my observation that places rarely are what they were ten years ago because change is inevitable. 

I have family complaining that the small town they are in is dying. And after living downtown in the US's largest city, hearing complaints about road widening seems so subjective. Progress or the lack of it effects people differently when it comes to income and preferred lifestyle. Hence why we have become so nomadic these days  

(Eventually someone will have to explain to me "suburb of GLD" as it seems to be a negative. For now I'm just happy know here is not downtown Houston.)

the perjoritive meaning of "Suburb of GLD"  is that it is becoming part of the urban sprawl of Guadalajara and used and abused by Tapitios on the weekends without them contributing to the upkeep of our area, such as overworked and under maintained garbage trucks, firefighters and emergency care...plus more traffic. On one hand we need them and want them, on the other they stress our infrastructure and gear improvement toward projects like "pueblo magico" instead of projects for the people who live here full time.

47 minutes ago, the walkers said:

the perjoritive meaning of "Suburb of GLD"  is that it is becoming part of the urban sprawl of Guadalajara and used and abused by Tapitios on the weekends without them contributing to the upkeep of our area, such as overworked and under maintained garbage trucks, firefighters and emergency care...plus more traffic. On one hand we need them and want them, on the other they stress our infrastructure and gear improvement toward projects like "pueblo magico" instead of projects for the people who live here full time.

The main reward for being a Pueblo Magico is bags full of money from the Feds and the State being thrown at it.

30 minutes ago, ned small said:

The main reward for being a Pueblo Magico is bags full of money from the Feds and the State being thrown at it.

seems to be someone who gets to it first, sells us out to them for some cans of paint and some publicity and we lose our autonomy to the faceless bureaucrates somewhere far away...

Archived