Chapala.com Webboard

Costalegre Fish Market near Superlake-disappointed

sm1mex

We were going to buy some salmon from Costalegre Fish Market.  The posted sign on the wall and also in the frozen case over the salmon was 290 pesos.  There were smaller and largerer pieces of fish.  We picked out one of the larger pieces and they said the larger pieces were 150 pesos more a kilo.  We said the sign says 290 for salmon and it doesn't specify the size.  However they insisted if you buy a larger piece the price would be higher.  They sell it by the size. So we put the salmon back and walked out.  We will not return.

3 hours ago, sm1mex said:

We were going to buy some salmon from Costalegre Fish Market.  The posted sign on the wall and also in the frozen case over the salmon was 290 pesos.  There were smaller and largerer pieces of fish.  We picked out one of the larger pieces and they said the larger pieces were 150 pesos more a kilo.  We said the sign says 290 for salmon and it doesn't specify the size.  However they insisted if you buy a larger piece the price would be higher.  They sell it by the size. So we put the salmon back and walked out.  We will not return.

Good afternoon! I would like to inform you that it is not charged by weight but by size. Just like the bigger shrimp the more expensive it costs. 

Have a nice day (:

We have not been back to this market after ordering fresh shrimp for company one time a while back.  We paid extra to have the shrimp cooked just before we picked it up.  Both containers of shrimp had cooked shrimp on the outside and frozen shrimp on the inside.  We were not aware until we served it.  Very not happy. 

Also, can you compare large and small pieces of salmon to large and small shrimp?  We always expect to pay more per kilo for the larger shrimp, however, the salmon should be priced the same per kilo no matter what the size.  The salmon price should depend on what kind of salmon it is not how big the piece.

1 hour ago, Wookie said:

Also, can you compare large and small pieces of salmon to large and small shrimp?  We always expect to pay more per kilo for the larger shrimp, however, the salmon should be priced the same per kilo no matter what the size.  The salmon price should depend on what kind of salmon it is not how big the piece.

If I have salmon on the counter the price is the same and we make the portion to your liking. But in addition to species there are sizes (1/2)  (2/4) (4/5) which help determine a cost.

We appreciate your comments. We always try to sell the best quality; if any product goes wrong we thank you to let us know to withdraw your sales and not affect our costumers.

have a nice day (:

I agree.  The BIG problem was the sign on the wall and over the salmon case said 290 pesos.  I did not expect to pay more per kilo for a bigger piece of salmon because it WEIGHED more and is bigger.  Shrimp are always priced to their size and in different bins with the posted prices according to size, but this salmon was all together in a frozen bin under a sign that said 290 pesos.  If I buy a big red snapper or small red snapper, I expect to pay the same price per kilo.  If they are going to charge by the size for their fish, a big sign should be posted, the bigger the fish you buy the more you pay per kilo, but all of the salmon signs said 290 per kilo, Period.  I still won't go back.  We do not participate in bate and switch.  I'll buy from Pacifico Pescadora west of town where all of the fish, big or small is the same price per kilo.  

4 hours ago, COSTALEGRE FISH MARKET said:

Hi!

We have different prices from $290 to $440, do not choose the most expensive. The others are also of good quality.

Have a nice day (:

I have always like you guys; was rooting for you when you left the other fish store to start your own; always felt you had good quality product. I have been paying different prices for different sizes of SHRIMP for years; I just always assumed that's the way of the world. I have NEVER paid more for different sizes of any kind of fish, ever, anywhere. I might understand if we are talking about different GRADES of fish, for example different types of salmon: frozen, fresh, wild, etc. But NOT for the same grade of salmon.

So, whether you agree or not, you are now losing customers because of this policy.

I can also tell you this: I have twice bought frozen, WILD salmon at a store nearby for $150/kilo. Smaller filets, yes, but they were certainly not charging different prices for different sizes.

Well if you want a larger piece of fish to serve more people at your dinner party, you will pay more per kilo for it at Costalegre Fish Market.  We asked them to sell it for the same 290 pesos listed in 2 places and they flat out said No.  Goodbye.

2 hours ago, Wookie said:

The reason for the price difference is the smaller the are farm raised from Chile. They (IMHO) don't even taste like salmon.   The larger a wild caught from Alaska.  They're the real thing.  They have them fresh on Wednesdays.  If you were in salmon country you would see that each breed of salmon has a different price!

15 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I have always like you guys; was rooting for you when you left the other fish store to start your own; always felt you had good quality product. I have been paying different prices for different sizes of SHRIMP for years; I just always assumed that's the way of the world. I have NEVER paid more for different sizes of any kind of fish, ever, anywhere. I might understand if we are talking about different GRADES of fish, for example different types of salmon: frozen, fresh, wild, etc. But NOT for the same grade of salmon.

So, whether you agree or not, you are now losing customers because of this policy.

I can also tell you this: I have twice bought frozen, WILD salmon at a store nearby for $150/kilo. Smaller filets, yes, but they were certainly not charging different prices for different sizes.

The solution was simple:  Put a sign out that states the difference, whether it makes sense to the customer or not.

I was there on Tuesday.  No fresh salmon on Tuesday.  All the same salmon was in a frozen bin with the price clearly marked over the bin and the wall.  When we questioned and non posted price, they should have honored the posted price and then put up a sign saying fish priced according to size for future customers.  It's the principle of matter here that irritated us.  If the size prices would have been posted, I would probably have bought the larger piece of salmon, but sine it was a bate and switch, we left empty handed and they had their large piece of salmon left in the case.  Onward and upward.  I'm thankful we have many pescadorias here to choose from and spread the pesos.

16 hours ago, sm1mex said:

Well if you want a larger piece of fish to serve more people at your dinner party, you will pay more per kilo for it at Costalegre Fish Market.  We asked them to sell it for the same 290 pesos listed in 2 places and they flat out said No.  Goodbye.

This has been a misunderstanding. All prices are per kilo. I would like to attend to you personally. The young people who are attending do not speak english well. Sign understad things. 

43 minutes ago, sm1mex said:

I was there on Tuesday.  No fresh salmon on Tuesday.  All the same salmon was in a frozen bin with the price clearly marked over the bin and the wall.  When we questioned and non posted price, they should have honored the posted price and then put up a sign saying fish priced according to size for future customers.  It's the principle of matter here that irritated us.  If the size prices would have been posted, I would probably have bought the larger piece of salmon, but sine it was a bate and switch, we left empty handed and they had their large piece of salmon left in the case.  Onward and upward.  I'm thankful we have many pescadorias here to choose from and spread the pesos.

The fresh salmon is on Wednesdays. We appreciate all the comments, to improve our service. He clarified the prices without per kilo. The Salmon thing was an error from the dispatcher. I would like to receive a call to attend to, 33 12 42 94 51

1 hour ago, Prudent said:

I am saddened that the op is so willing to damage this business's reputation. I have always been very happy with this store. I think the lesson here is that local businesses should mot try to communicate in English.

Thank you for your good vibes! We hope to see you soon in our store (:

I spoke Spanish asking price when they quoted me a different price.  2 men told me they would not accept 290 pesos and then they got a young lady that came out and spoke English and said the fish were priced by size, so there was no misunderstanding.  They have good fish and a clean store, if you buy there, just ask the price of the particular fish you are buying and do not always expect to pay the posted price. I think we can let this go now.  Pay the price they tell you it is if that is your desire.

I have been a professional chef and restaurant owner for over 50 years.  Of the dozen or so fine dining restaurants I owned over the years in Florida the majority specialized in fresh fish.  For the past 5 years I have even teaching cooking classes lakeside.  Last week I had ordered 4 each extra large filets of salmon at 2 kilos plus.  I was told the extra large filets would cost more.  No problem.  It's  a farm raised product so the extra large have to be fed considerably longer.  The ratio of meat to skin and head is also greater so it has to cost more.  To compound matters when I went to pick them up on Wednesday it was wild salmon day.  Wild salmon form Canada costs a lot more than farmed salmon from Chile.  So on Wednesday they had small, medium. large and wild salmon for sale all at different prices of course, hence the confusion.  I buy hundreds of pounds of fish product at Costalegre every year and have always found them to be honest reliable and a great asset to the  community.  Their English language skills however make things somewhat confusing but it's well worth it.

The Wild Salmon from Canada is excellent.  We purchase from Costalegre Fish Market every Wednesday.  Never disappointed.  Service is excellent as well. 

On 7/21/2017 at 3:35 PM, Ian Greenwood said:

I have been a professional chef and restaurant owner for over 50 years.  Of the dozen or so fine dining restaurants I owned over the years in Florida the majority specialized in fresh fish.  For the past 5 years I have even teaching cooking classes lakeside.  Last week I had ordered 4 each extra large filets of salmon at 2 kilos plus.  I was told the extra large filets would cost more.  No problem.  It's  a farm raised product so the extra large have to be fed considerably longer.  The ratio of meat to skin and head is also greater so it has to cost more.  To compound matters when I went to pick them up on Wednesday it was wild salmon day.  Wild salmon form Canada costs a lot more than farmed salmon from Chile.  So on Wednesday they had small, medium. large and wild salmon for sale all at different prices of course, hence the confusion.  I buy hundreds of pounds of fish product at Costalegre every year and have always found them to be honest reliable and a great asset to the  community.  Their English language skills however make things somewhat confusing but it's well worth it.

This post clearly explains the pricing complexities.

Archived