Chapala.com Webboard

2018 Carnaval Chapala

mexart

Anyone know when Chapala Municipo will be holding its Carnaval 2018? I dont think it necesarily follows traditional schedules in Chapala. I want to avoid Chapala at that time and Im trying to put my travel plans together. Its just out of control band noise at that time. The two worst offenders are Carnaval and Expo.

This year Easter is April 16 and Lent begins March 1. That means Fat Tuesday is February 28 and that is the end of Carnaval. Easter is celebrated the week before (Semana Santa) and the week after. That is all I can tell you.

https://www.calendar-12.com/holidays/easter/2018

Date     Holiday name 

Tuesday, February 13, 2018     Shrove Tuesday (Mardi Gras)
Wednesday, February 14, 2018     Ash Wednesday
Sunday, March 25, 2018     Palm Sunday
Thursday, March 29, 2018     Maundy Thursday
Friday, March 30, 2018     Good Friday
Sunday, April 1, 2018     Easter   
Monday, April 2, 2018     Easter Monday 
Thursday, May 10, 2018     Ascension of Jesus
Sunday, May 20, 2018     Pentecost 
Thursday, May 31, 2018     Corpus Christi

Chapala usually has Mardi Gras parades on the Sunday before AND Ajijic has it on the day of. But Chapala also has events 2-3 weeks leading up to Mardi Gras

23 hours ago, mexart said:

Anyone know when Chapala Municipo will be holding its Carnaval 2018? I dont think it necesarily follows traditional schedules in Chapala. I want to avoid Chapala at that time and Im trying to put my travel plans together. Its just out of control band noise at that time. The two worst offenders are Carnaval and Expo.

If you live in Chapala the best thing you can do is talk with your MX neighbors about the noise problem, most Mexicans do not like this onslaught of noise, either.  Get a group together and go to Degallado's office and express your sentiments, so it won't be seen as a gringo issue.  There is a fast growing movement in Guadalajara known as CruzadaContraElRuido - Crusade Against Noise which is gaining a lot of steam judging by their FB page which has now garnered around 1500 MORE "me gustas" in the past few weeks, now well over 19,000.  Lots of people are sick of the noise here, it has gotten completely out of hand even for those who normally love banda music.  There is such a thing as "overkill" and that is what they are doing.  Good luck!

59 minutes ago, ezpz said:

If you live in Chapala the best thing you can do is talk with your MX neighbors about the noise problem, most Mexicans do not like this onslaught of noise, either.  Get a group together and go to Degallado's office and express your sentiments, so it won't be seen as a gringo issue.  There is a fast growing movement in Guadalajara known as CruzadaContraElRuido - Crusade Against Noise which is gaining a lot of steam judging by their FB page which has now garnered around 1500 MORE "me gustas" in the past few weeks, now well over 19,000.  Lots of people are sick of the noise here, it has gotten completely out of hand even for those who normally love banda music.  There is such a thing as "overkill" and that is what they are doing.  Good luck!

That's not going to affect Carnaval!  That is a long-standing tradition, and the Mexicans are accepting of that, just as they are accepting of Easter celebrations.  If you don't like the noise during actual religious festivals, then Mexico is definitely not the place for you!  I agree, there are many other times during the year when they have excessive, unnecessary noise.

The OP is not complaining, asking for change or anything else. They just want the facts: When so they can leave. Very smart choice and it doesn't require anyone else to change their lifestyle.

On 7/17/2017 at 6:06 PM, suegarn said:

That's not going to affect Carnaval!  That is a long-standing tradition, and the Mexicans are accepting of that, just as they are accepting of Easter celebrations.  If you don't like the noise during actual religious festivals, then Mexico is definitely not the place for you!  I agree, there are many other times during the year when they have excessive, unnecessary noise.

The OP also mentioned the Expo which is a new commercial venture that had loud bandas playing for about a week (or 10 days?) last year in addition to Carnaval, which now has two weeks of pre-carnaval festivities instead of the traditional one week.  The Expo on top of that could be considered overkill for the neighbors who are forced to endure the onslaught of all the loud noise.  

It would be interesting to know what kind of turnout both of these events actually have - how many paying customers actually show up to nightly loud banda concerts??  Maybe some of you could talk to your neighbors in Chapala - it helps if you speak Spanish to find out what is really going on.  15-piece bandas cost a lot of money, having 2 or more of them every night for a week or two is a huge expense.  Is it worth it, for all the noise??  Who actually profits from that?  Or do they profit?

Carnaval is not a religious tradition, in fact it has always been an anti-religious celebration before the mandatory sacrifices of the 40-day Lenten season.  It was a night of wild drinking, dancing, wearing satirical costumes, and eating meat before fasting for 40 days.  It originated centuries ago in the islands (?) as a permissible rebellion against the Spanish/Catholic invaders.

The actual traditional fiesta in Chapala is the San Francisco Fiesta beginning in late Sept. and ending on Oct. 4 - Saint Francis being the patron saint of Chapala.  Other parishes have smaller fiestas as well.  I've never heard of any complaints against those fiestas, probably because they are not as super loud as the commercial ones.  Gringos here need to learn the distinction between unwanted commercial noise put on for someone's profit only, and the true traditional fiestas which are totally organized and paid for by the people themselves in the churches, and that is why there is no admission charge for any true religious fiesta, which reflects the true People's Choice.  And they have been going on for hundreds of years.

19 minutes ago, ezpz said:

The Expo on top of that could be considered overkill for the neighbors who are forced to endure the onslaught of all the loud noise.

Being a neighbor in the zone I can say that while it is noisy, I say to you, "Nunya!"

I wonder if the Mexicans in my home town whine like babies every summer when the city hosts TWO two-week music festivals: BluesFest and JazzFest. Loud rock bands until quite late, all under open skies, in the near-centre of the city. Let alone all the other outdoor festivals that take place.

I bet they really get annoyed in the winter when they turn the Rideau Canal into the world's longest continuous skating rink, and litter the ice during Winterlude in February with pointless ice sculptures and Beavertail stalls. All those people constantly skating by all those houses, eating junk food and tossing their garbage.

Archived