Chapala.com Webboard

Good dog tracker that works lakeside

Would you not be better to look stateside?   If I understand you, your looking for a device your dog wears on a collar.  Works like find my phone on ipad.   Obviously the dog needs to wear a collar constantly with the unit on.  I believe Garmin makes one as do a couple of others.  All of which you can readily find on google.

if that's not what your looking for I don't understand what you want.  

This is a rather dumb question on my part, but do they even use chip readers in Mexico?  I thought this was a relatively new technology that is just now or a few years ago fully excepted and used up North.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

In Best Buy this week in Ottawa, Canada, I came across an entire row of GPS-reading gadgets; some for your keys and phones, and others for pets. Cute blue or pink bowtie-bone shapes. All over $100, some over $200. Nothing that lakeside; maybe in Guadalajara. But location shouldn't matter as it is all GPS-based, and you use a smartphone app for tracking. Having said that, however, anything like this we purchase should be checked out online first, to make sure there are no geographical limitations. I doubt that there would be, but I was quite surprised when my Amazon Echo Dot refused to let me set my home base for weather and traffic outside of the U.S., or even download the app.

Try a collar with you name address and phone number on it. Recently, a dog got loose when fireworks were going off, wandered down the main highway, and turned up exhausted at a local restaurant. Through this board (thank you!) the dog was reunited with its owners. The owners said it had a chip, BUT a collar with a name and address would have been much more useful. Not sure if vets read chips here, but none of us rescuers considered that the dog might have one, altho I have heard of them.

5 hours ago, johanson said:

This is a rather dumb question on my part, but do they even use chip readers in Mexico?  I thought this was a relatively new technology that is just now or a few years ago fully excepted and used up North.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Dr. Berenice at Pet Place, Interlgo Plaza has a chip reader. 

Having a microchip in your dog here is really a waste of time and money.   If a dog gets lost and is found it is usually posted on this web board or the animal is taken to one of the two dog shelters.   Only 2 vets have readers, Dr.  Bernice and the Ladron Vet Clinic.   As far as I know, the 2 local shelters do not have microchip readers.   A collar and name tag are your best bet.   Also, not letting you dog off the leash is a given,

A chip could serve as another level of safeguard ... obviously not a substitute for good sense measures like a collar & tags. 

P. S since you'd be new here --  unlike perhaps the ASPCA or local dog pounds you're familiar with NOB  , housing and reuniting lost pets with their owners is not the mission of Ajijic's 2 volunteer dog rescue organizations-  Lucky Dog & The Ranch - but rather the rescue & adoption of abandoned, abused & neglected animals. (In my eight years of experience I'm not aware personally of any such reunions ) . So please keep in mind that should you decide to 'rescue' someone's lost pet you shouldn't expect that the Rescues will take it off your hands. 

Archived