Chapala.com Webboard

New message on HSBC ATM at their bank

cedros

There is a new message that has come up in the last few weeks on the screen. It is towards the end of the transaction and I'm reluctant to take too long to read it. I think it  might say"do you accept this conversion rate". The rate hasn't been very good for several weeks. Does anyone know exactly what the message says?

I saw the same message at an HSBC ATM in Puerto Vallarta. The conversion rate was terrible so I cancelled the transaction and got money elsewhere.

The message does ask you to confirm and accept the conversion rate in order to continue.

I got $17.52:1 today at CIBanco including the $17.40 peso surcharge. The rate posted on Yahoo finance and xe.com is $17.59. The ATM rates are normally just a little lower than the international rate. The cambio next to Oxxo in Ajijic posts $16.80:1

Don't know what the message says exactly, but the exchange rate is about 10% less than previous withdrawals for me.  By that I mean mush less than the daily listed rate. One transaction was at 17.11 when the daily exchange rate was 18.2.  I would have received about 18.1 preiously and no longer use their ATM.

I have HSBC accounts in Canada and Mexico. I don't pay any ATM fees. I just looked at my last statement for Canada and they show an ATM rebate of $1.47 for June 30th. Something is changing at HSBC but they aren't telling us. 

The first time I saw that message I declined. The second time I accepted it and it went through. Mysterious as to what they have changed. I will try emailing them in British Columbia to ask but they usually don't answer.

This is strange as I took money out of HSBC on Wednesday morning, two transactions, and got 17.89 which was in excess of XE's mid rate at that time.  I did not see a message requiring me to accept a certain rate either.  I was using US debit cards.

I just withdrew cash again, using NOB debit cards, no question about rate of exchange and I got just over 17.52 which is within less than 2 centavos of XE's mid rate quote for this moment.  It's all very strange but I do appreciate the OP for alerting us.

I went yesterday and again today. The new screen on the ATMs (and I used both, to compare) has nothing to do with interest rates: it's marketing info and asks if you want to learn more about other HSBC services that are offered. 

On 7/18/2017 at 9:59 AM, bournemouth said:

I just withdrew cash again, using NOB debit cards, no question about rate of exchange and I got just over 17.52 which is within less than 2 centavos of XE's mid rate quote for this moment.  It's all very strange but I do appreciate the OP for alerting us.

My experience was pretty much the same as bournemouth's when I withdrew pesos from the HSBC ATM two days ago.  

Maybe some of us are getting different messages. When I tried today at the HSBC bank in San Antonio T. it asked if i would accept an exchange rate of 13.1. I said no. It gave me money at a rate of 13.4 instead. The rate should have been closer to 13.9.

You can check the rate on the Visa or Mastercard website (depending on which type of card you are using.) Your debit card will have one of those symbols. Your bank may have a 1-3% international charge, and the websites have a way to enter that into the calculation. Both Visa and MC offer an app for your smartphone. 

. I have always received the quoted Visa and MC rates at every ATM that I have used worldwide including HSBC on Monday the 17th in San Antonio.

So I used those HSBC ATMs enough time to see what to do. Just say no to the rate they offer and you will get a better rate.

• 2 weeks later...

Cedros has it right.  Just say no when you get that screen.  It takes a minute or two to find it on the screen, right bottom (it is in English below the Spanish).  It'll process your transaction and give you a better exchange rate.  Don't be embarrassed to take a minute.  It is your transaction, take your time!!!!!!

4 hours ago, gringohombre said:

I am still confused (not unusual). Why would it say  one conversion and then give you a higher rate? II would think that this would be a bad business decision. All the other ATM's do not even show what the conversion rate is. 

Because they want to give you a very bad conversion rate and if you agree to it beforehand you can't complain later.

Archived