Chapala.com Webboard

Air quality

Julie

My suggestion...email local doctors and ask them questions. I recommend contacting Chapala Med, Dr. Hernandez,(raised in Indiana). Everyone with asthma will probably react differently depending on medication and other external factors such as those already mentioned in previous posts.

I have mild asthma and am only bothered a few times per year (in the dry spring) by the smoke from burning fields. I just stay inside those days. I don't have any problems the rest of the year. But I don't usually even take meds for my asthma, so YMMV.

20 hours ago, Xena said:

April and, especially, May might be bad months for you. It is hot, dry, very dusty and because farmers burn the fields the air is very smokey.

This is when I have some minor asthma problems.

If you have significant asthma not sure this is a good place to live because of this plus altitude plus the big jump in humidity when the rains start.

I will say I had no asthma problems when we lived in New Mexico.

I have asthma and lived there 7 years, inhalers are cheap. But, the burning is the biggest problem, Mexicans have a penchant for burning things, anything, anytime and anywhere, I swear they're born with a noise maker in one hand and a book of matches in the other.

15 minutes ago, michael2595 said:

I have a relative who will be visiting who has issues with their eyes. Anybody here have issues ?

Right now my eyes are fine. I have problems during the dry season. More towards spring my dry eyes problem is compounded by allergies. The occasional use of artificial tears takes care of it until spring. During April and May I use the AT several times a day. On rare occasions I use the drops for allergies. I also always bring the AT with me when I go to Guadalajara since a few hours in the city and my eyes become irritated from the air pollution.

One thing that has helped me is a CPAP machine. They are supposed to be for sleep apnea, but I kicked that years ago. I now use it because it has excellent air filtration, and pumps your sinuses so you don't breath through your mouth when you sleep. If you breath through your nose when sleeping, your mouth dries out and wakens you, but you are also bypassing your bodies air filtration system. They occasionally come up for sale down here, but new they are very expensive. If you are interested in seeing if this works for you, buy a reconditioned one from this company http://www.secondwindcpap.com/. I have bought from them in the past and got lucky, but officially Mexican customs will not allow the import of medical equipment unless they meet national standards. You would have no problem travelling with it by air or vehicle. If you are really worried, get a doctor to write you a prescription. With a prescription, you can even take it on a plane as an additional piece of luggage.

Technically, the farmers are no longer allowed to burn old crops, but enforcing laws in the mysterious hills of Chapala is a whole other matter. Move to an area, usually higher in the hills, that have a lot of breezes compared to nearer the Lake. You can spot the best areas by finding where the buzzards are soaring all day.

13 minutes ago, giltner68 said:

You don't have to go to the hills, there was an old lady 2 doors down from us who diligently swept her sidewalks and street every day into a nice pile and then got out her matchbook and lit it, we named her Mrs. Burner.

Ah yes, Mrs. Burner.

She has quite a few relatives in the area. One of the truly original familes.

On July 14, 2017 at 3:10 PM, Julie said:

Hi, my husband and I are considering a move to the lake Chapala region. I have asthma and consequently I'm sensitive to air pollution. Do any of you live in the area with asthma and if so, how is your breathing?

Refer to prior thread on Smoke & Air pollution (click onto following link):     Smoke and air pollution

Archived