Chapala.com Webboard

Global Entry or TSA PreCheck

Since we have a medallion status with Delta, they automatically give us TSA pre check on our boarding pass.  You bypass the long line, don't have to take off your shoes or clothes, don't have to take out your lap top and usually don't have to go through the junk scanner, just the walk through frame one.

Go with Global Entry, as it also allows access to the TSA Pre Check lines.  I have absolutely no regrets parting with the USD 100 for this service.  To me, if you hate lines and travel in/out of the US regularly, it is totally well worth it.

Big fans of Global Entry.  

My only complaint is at IAH when returning to US and making a connecting flight.  Even though our tickets are Pre-Checked, there is no separate pre-check line for passengers coming out of customs and immigration.  Have debated exiting the airport at baggage drop off and coming back in, but we aren't familiar enough with Houston airport.  Anyone else have a work-around for this??

Have had GE for about 3 years. If you fly to the States even once a year, it is well worth it. As Mexseekin notes, you get TSA Precheck with GE; PreCheck is $85 for five years, so for the extra $15 dollars is small for the extra benefit. Most travellers don't realize that GE gives you two (possibly three) benefits. First, you skip the line for Immigration and go thru a kiosk which takes seconds to clear. Second, you skip the line for customs, too. For instance, at Houston, you walk all the way to the front of the line and the CBP agent stops the line and gives you "cuts" to go first! You just show the agent the print out you got at the kiosk and "go!" Third, several countries are offering reciprocal access for a fee.  Mexico recognizes GE, and for a small fee will grant you Mexico's accelerated entry program; the bad news is that GDL does not have the program yet.

One caution for those who get TSA PreCheck via Airline Frequent Flyer programs: this was granted by TSA as a complimentary offer to convince travellers it was a good thing. At any time and for any reason, TSA can rescind the offer. I would bet that at some point, TSA will want to recoup the lost enrollment dollars and will require individual enrollment.

Don't you have to have a personal interview for GE?  I once filled out the form on line and at the bottom it said to get an appointment for an interview in the U.S.  There are only so many places that they do interviews, usually in big cities.

BP Launches Global Entry Enrollment on Arrival at 5 International Airports

Release Date: 
July 7, 2017

Program launches at airports in Houston, Austin, San Francisco and Vancouver 

WASHINGTON—U.S. Customs and Border Protection launched Enrollment on Arrival at George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH), William P. Hobby Airport (HOU), Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS), San Francisco International Airport (SFO) and Vancouver International Airport (YVR) for conditionally-approved Global Entry applicants to complete their interview, the final step of the Global Entry enrollment process, while clearing CBP processing. The program will shorten enrollment wait times for travelers at some of the busiest enrollment areas and will expand to additional airports in the coming months. 

“Global Entry continues to be one of CBP’s most successful and popular programs with application volume steadily increasing over the past several years,” said Acting Commissioner Kevin McAleenan. “With Enrollment on Arrival, we are adapting and innovating our process to meet the program’s demands by providing flexibility and additional options for travelers who need to complete their Global Entry interview.”

Once a traveler is conditionally-approved, instead of scheduling an interview at a Global Entry Enrollment Center, the traveler can complete the enrollment interview during CBP primary inspection at a participating airport. Upon arrival, travelers will be directed to a primary booth designated specifically for Enrollment on Arrival. A CBP officer will conduct both the primary processing and Global Entry interview and collect the traveler’s biometrics to complete the enrollment. The traveler will then be cleared for entry into the United States and will be a Global Entry member.

3 hours ago, sm1mex said:

Don't you have to have a personal interview for GE?  I once filled out the form on line and at the bottom it said to get an appointment for an interview in the U.S.  There are only so many places that they do interviews, usually in big cities.

Your interview is available at many US Airports just book a longer layover. Also possible to have your interview at the border crossing. San Antonio Tx airport was not too busy when I got mine.

Archived