Chapala.com Webboard

Wine bar?

mexilady

10 hours ago, mexilady said:

My husband heard that a new wine bar was opening only on Friday and Sat. and that reservations were suggested. Has anyone more details?

Head to Barbara's Bazaar Facebook page and you should find the details there. It is in part of the Barbara's Bazaar property on Independencia - yes, at this point reservations are necessary.  I haven't yet patronized it but it seems to be charming and everyone you see there is enjoying themselves.

It was a lovely setting. Several tables in the courtyard and some inside under the roof. We had a flight of wines (three) and a flight of cheese and dips (also three) as well as a large portion of the best brie I have had outside of France that was served with a very fresh baguette. The wines were all Spanish. It was nice to try something new.

They are only open until 7pm. A bit pricey for Ajijic compared to getting a full dinner at other restaurants but I am not an expert on wine bar pricing.  We will be going back again.

Reservations are a must!  During the day you can call Barbara's Bazaar to reserve. 766-3636

2 hours ago, artsnob said:

How much was pricey

What is with all these new pricey restaurants poping up.  I will not support them, they seemed to aimed at the gringo community and feels like they are taking advantage of us

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

What is with all these new pricey restaurants poping up.  I will not support them, they seemed to aimed at the gringo community and feels like they are taking advantage of us

Such as Elegante'?  I know of no others.  We lost #4 and gained Elegante', seem even to me.  What are all the others?

I assume since it's owned by Barbara's that the old wines sell for several times the price of buying the same wines new - but you only pay double the price if there's an orange sticker on the bottle? ;)

9 minutes ago, El Saltos said:

Not if you show up and there are no tables!

We used to find space somewhere at Casa Flores for any good friends that came for lunch. Once 2 tables in the garage and they were happy with that! Go figure.

3 minutes ago, Kevin K said:

I assume since it's owned by Barbara's that the old wines sell for several times the price of buying the same wines new - but you only pay double the price if there's an orange sticker on the bottle? ;)

Yeah but they always negotiate.

30 minutes ago, El Saltos said:

Such as Elegante'?  I know of no others.  We lost #4 and gained Elegante', seem even to me.  What are all the others?

The new Wine Bar.  Poce(I may have the spelling wrong), St. Remy.   And a lot of places are raising their prices as they see new places with higher prices

3 hours ago, Kyle said:

Sorry, but I don't get this comment. How are you being taken advantage of simply because a new "pricey" place opens. If it offers good service and value, it will succeed. You may not feel inclined to "support" them but that is your choice. I for one am always happy to have more dining options from one end of the spectrum to the other. ???. 

Two words for our experience at "Chez Charracate" (hope I spelled it right)- absolutely charming!! Everything we tried was well-chosen and good tasting- they even had an excellent dessert wine! The strawberries were the best we have had in Mexico, served with yummy chocolate- also extra-good baguette and blue cheese from Mexico. The setting has a special quality- love the courtyard!  We enjoy wine and think there are some good bargains to be had on the wine list. This is the kind of place we always wished was in our village and now it is!! 

4 hours ago, bournemouth said:

It's part of Barbara's Bazaar on Independencia in Ajijic and I understand is closing for the month of August, to reopen in September.

They're closing for a month already?  They've only been open for a very short time.....why are they closing now?  That's definitely not a good way to begin a business!

Archived