Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

New Indian Restaurant


Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, Irish Gal said:

Do you know where you can buy moong dal (split yellow mung bean) locally?   Recipe sounds great!   Thanks for sharing it.

I believe the "Graneria" in Ajijic. We got ours from an Asian grocer in Texas. There is an Asian grocer in Guadalajara as well, but with odd (for me) hours. I think he is an academic/professional who runs the business on the side, to keep in contact with his community. Many, many people from India, Pakistan, etc part of the world living in Guadalajara right now.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did you really need to write that?  Hope your expectations are met.

I repeat-we desperately need a GOOD Indian restaurant here. 

Why do people who don't like or can't eat spicy food order spicy food and then complain that it is spicy? I love spicy and don't like when it is "Gringoed down" to suit sensitive stomachs that shouldn

Posted Images

Had a snack there today around 1pm. Not too many people around yet. They had seven or eight different sauces, plus rice, veg rolls, naan bread, and the like. I ordered the chicken marsala, which was very tasty. A LOT of rice, cooked properly. I imagine if you order TWO dishes, you get less rice. I'll go again and try the other curries.

The raita came separate: container of yogourt and container of green veg sauce. The veg roll was crisp and tasty. They forgot to include the raita and the chutney, which I had to ask for.

The raita sauce was split into containers of yogourt and green veggie sauce; that sauce was a tad spicey, but not much really.  I did not order lassi, which I understand is a kind of yogourt drink.

5978ef8aa2eb2_IndianRestaurantatLaguna.thumb.jpg.e1c6057120ba2aa70c664e87e15c200e.jpg

Nice guys, wished them luck.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Four of us had lunch there today and were delighted.  We'll be back!  One of the serving men said that next week, they will be lamb as well as the chicken and beef choices.  I was plenty happy with the naan bread.  Generous servings, reasonable prices and smiling service.  What's to not love?

Just a side note:  those are the first comfortable plastic chairs I've encountered in recent memory.  Actually made to fit a human body.

:wub:

Link to post
Share on other sites

We went today to try out the new Indian Restaurant in San Antonio in the Food Court.  We thought the curries were delicious.  I chose a beef curry, the butter chicken curry and a vegetable curry.  My husband opted for a different chicken curry instead of vegetable (like mine).  All was tasty and generous portions.  We avoided the wonderful Basmati rice and Naan as we are cutting our carbohydrates when possible.  The curries were extremely mild and when I asked about Lamb Vindaloo, the man laughed and said he prepared it a day or two ago and no one would have it!  I love truly spicy Indian food but I guess I'm in the minority lakeside.  While having hot sauce to add after cooking is OK, it's never as tasty as when it's cooked with the food but I understand they need to appeal to the masses.  So, next time, I'll take my own Ghost Pepper hot sauce in my purse and add it to my curry there. :)

They were all quite friendly and we look forward to our next visit.  I hope they do well.

Valerie :)

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, thevalerieleigh said:

We went today to try out the new Indian Restaurant in San Antonio in the Food Court.  We thought the curries were delicious.  I chose a beef curry, the butter chicken curry and a vegetable curry.  My husband opted for a different chicken curry instead of vegetable (like mine).  All was tasty and generous portions.  We avoided the wonderful Basmati rice and Naan as we are cutting our carbohydrates when possible.  The curries were extremely mild and when I asked about Lamb Vindaloo, the man laughed and said he prepared it a day or two ago and no one would have it!  I love truly spicy Indian food but I guess I'm in the minority lakeside.  While having hot sauce to add after cooking is OK, it's never as tasty as when it's cooked with the food but I understand they need to appeal to the masses.  So, next time, I'll take my own Ghost Pepper hot sauce in my purse and add it to my curry there. :)

They were all quite friendly and we look forward to our next visit.  I hope they do well.

Valerie :)

They do provide a little container of something that breathes a goodly bit of fire,  and IMHO, tis easier to add fire than to remove it.  Enjoy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Gringal, I had two of those little "containers" of hot sauce today.  Tasty but I'll be better prepared next time. :)

Valerie

Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally authentic Indian Food in Lakeside, and it is good, in fact, very good.

Raj, the owner originated from the Nepal side of India, serves the popular dishes that we are used to namely

butter chicken, beef curry, shrimp curry, naan, basmati rice and more.

Today, before going to the cinema there, we met him and his staff, and he kindly prepared a beef vindaloo

which we picked up afterwards- delicious.  Wish him lots of luck, and I hope he stays with us here because

it's been a long time waiting for this quality of  Indian Food.  Recommend highly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Raj did tell me today he has been trying to cook for gringo tastes. So this is going to be a quandary for him, I'm afraid. Very nice guy. He overheard me saying today's beef curry tasted good, but it was more like beef stew, and I wondered if they were having financial difficulties because the basmati rice was missing, replaced by regular long grain rice.

He apologized, which he didn't need to do, but it shows his eagerness. He said because of the gringo thing, he was dumbing it down, but he would spice it up again. A patron suggested two levels of spice, which might work for him. He also described how his basmati supplier was trying to raise his prices, so he refused to order a refill... and then the supplier called him back and gave him his regular price. Wow, what a business.

All in all, quite satisfied, the naan bread yummy as usual.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have been there twice now. Enjoyed our meals both times. Rak is trying hard to please the Gringo taste,for mild curries. I was very pleased with their Butter Chicken.  It will be on our list of regular eateries.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bronte said:

Finally authentic Indian Food in Lakeside, and it is good, in fact, very good.

Raj, the owner originated from the Nepal side of India, serves the popular dishes that we are used to namely

butter chicken, beef curry, shrimp curry, naan, basmati rice and more.

Today, before going to the cinema there, we met him and his staff, and he kindly prepared a beef vindaloo

which we picked up afterwards- delicious.  Wish him lots of luck, and I hope he stays with us here because

it's been a long time waiting for this quality of  Indian Food.  Recommend highly.

So they will cook to order? That should solve the problem of heat or no heat. Used to frequent an Indian restaurant where you could order on a scale of 1-10. Can't wait to try it. Bought some lime pickle today at Superlake to add some spice.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do people who don't like or can't eat spicy food order spicy food and then complain that it is spicy? I love spicy and don't like when it is "Gringoed down" to suit sensitive stomachs that shouldn't be consuming it in the first place.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Al Berca said:

Why do people who don't like or can't eat spicy food order spicy food and then complain that it is spicy? I love spicy and don't like when it is "Gringoed down" to suit sensitive stomachs that shouldn't be consuming it in the first place.

Everything quite bland when we tried it Wednesday.  The butter chicken which is not a spicy dish by any stretch of one's imagination, was oddly sweet.  Even the chutney had no kick to it.  Guess we should have tried it before they dumbed it down.  Also the temperature heat was on the lukewarm side.  

Right now if you want a properly spiced Indian meal in town, go to Gossips and order their biryani.  It is divine.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Al Berca said:

Why do people who don't like or can't eat spicy food order spicy food and then complain that it is spicy? I love spicy and don't like when it is "Gringoed down" to suit sensitive stomachs that shouldn't be consuming it in the first place.

It's this place. Expats can be pretty pushy. But I agree: if you are in India, they are not going to cater to your spice whims. Why should a place serving curries do anything but serve what they naturally serve? They have things like the chicken masala which has garam masala and other spices and herbs that are not hot. I was disappointed yesterday with the heat in the beef curry, but not the flavour.

I don't know how hot butter chicken is supposed to be; I am only learning about curries. I cook, so I know many ingredients, and I know more cayenne is going to make it hotter... what is it usually in terms of the heat?

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a difference between spicy and hot.  Many older people can tolerate spicy but not hot.  Many times with age the taste buds are not as effective, therefore it is really nice to be able to find food that is tasty and spicy but that is not so hot that it upsets the stomach and makes a person miserable for hours after.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy crap, Wookie. You just decapitated almost the entire world's restaurant's abilities to serve and prepare dishes. Upset stomach? We should all know by now what we can handle. Especially those "with age".

As far as "spicy and hot" goes, if we have to get into semantics about definitions, we are lost already.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Butter chicken is not  spicy.  It is Indian Food 101;  it's what you suggest for young kids or people who haven't eaten Indian food before.  What was odd is that their version was sweet and coconut tasting.  While you will find many versions of recipes for butter chicken (aka  murgh makhani), it does not normally contain any coconut milk.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Everything quite bland when we tried it Wednesday.  The butter chicken which is not a spicy dish by any stretch of one's imagination, was oddly sweet.  Even the chutney had no kick to it.  Guess we should have tried it before they dumbed it down.  Also the temperature heat was on the lukewarm side.  

Right now if you want a properly spiced Indian meal in town, go to Gossips and order their biryani.  It is divine.  

I completely concur with your assessment, Bisbee Gal, and it is unlikely that I will return.

On the other hand, I do wish the proprietor well, as he is clearly earnest, the food is at least fresh tasting, the serving portions are generous, and the meal prices are more than reasonable.  If his gringo-ized recipes find favor with the local customer base -- and it seems that they have -- I say welcome to the restaurant scene and more power to him.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...