Chapala.com Webboard

local Uber

Earl

About 6 weeks ago, someone left little notices on doors and gates with a phone number for Uber service.  It was just printed on plain, white paper about the size of a  business card.  I need that phone number, and if anyone has used that person, what was your experience?

Thank you.

The Mexico City airport is flush with people that try to grab your bags and take you to their "taxi". I hear they are the same people that will take you to a warehouse and "express kidnap" you.

The last time I had one do it I let them carry my bag all the way to the taxi ticket booth. I wanted a taxi, eh? They were not willing to let me make a scene and scrambled off after I grabbed my bag back. 

I received the same notice , called the number & spoke with the guy who answered. After some squirming he admitted it's not UBER.  he's a driver capitalizing on the uber name recognition   - enough for me to stay away. Plenty of excellent local drivers

There are plenty of local drivers but it seems to me they take advantage of my gringo dollar.   I think it unlikely that they bear the fees and taxes which burden the local licensed cab drivers yet their airport fee equals or exceeds that charged by the yellow cabs.   I too anxiously await Uber locally.   I use them now from the airport and pay around 250 pesos, say 300 with the tip.  I think that's the true value and it keeps my longtime retirement pesos relatively happy.  Of course for those still active in the work place and receiving current us dollars to convert to pesos its not a big deal; but it is to me.

A friend, a doctor, was investing in Uber to employ some friends and provide medical facilitator services Chapala to Guadalajara and Jocotepec. He even bought the Uber approved vehicle - then he started to crunch the numbers more closely, including depreciation, maintenance and very high insurance premiums it was not worth it. He sold the Uber approved vehicle.

Archived